The Past

THE CAMPFIRE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Flash back

A clear dark night with a silhouette of hills were forming a gripping scenery along the steep hills that could be seen during the day. It's felt distinctively as rustic atmosphere when the car they drove were climbing a hill inland of Pyongan. The winds were biting , the scenery of twinkling lights at the city below, the blackish sea water with ripples shimmering, and a flash of light from the lighthouse blinking sent a little wild feeling in her teenage life. Sulli felt that night... something was waiting for her ... somewhere at there with many possibilities.
Suddenly her heart beats faster , happily Sulli looks back. Propping her chin on her hands..... on Sungmin's seat , she feels her heartbeat even in her ear ... reflects the surge of spirits that usually confined ... under the pressure of a mother who loves to dominate.

"Aunt Sungmin, what’s the name of the place we go?" Her voice as gentle as breeze.

"The Lion Camp. A narrow farmland which from the air looked like a lion that's standing. This place was often used by hunters to set up the tents before entering the forest ... Perhaps that's why the place was legendary here. "

"Who lives there now?"

"An elderly woman Choi Yong Gi and her son Choi Min Ho."

"What they going to do in the middle of land surrounded this hill?"

"Of course farming, stupid ! Did not I say that this is a farmland ? "

Sulli grimace, realize invective tone fondly spoken her mother's best friend. All her life, the first time she set foot on the sprawling land  like this, rather than on the concrete streets with skyscrapers all around.

"Do they often hold parties like this?"

" No. Perhaps only twice a year. Usually when they have plentiful harvest. Actually their land elected to a party because the place is flat and sheltered from the blowing of sea breeze . "

"Who’s coming to this party?"

"Many who come from the area around here that intentionally campers to look around. They are usually invited to enjoy the party. Well ... like ranchers, artists, poets, fishermen, and maybe one or two underdeveloped human like us. "

Sulli leans back in the seat, clasping her hands in the dark.

"I'm going to like this ... my gut tells me that I would have liked all this."

 

======== >

 

From all corners of oil lamps lit up like fireflies, centered in a large tent that had been installed in the middle of a grassy field that is wide enough. Various types of vehicles parked around the field. The sound of boisterous laughter and chatter truly warms the cold night. A few people dressed well and put a blanket on,  looked like to dispelt the cold air...  some were carrying lanterns, some carrying bottled drinks, and some of them were running to climb a rock wall and down towards the meadow. Again, Sulli really grateful because her mother had a flu and did not want to come to the party  .

When Sungmin  stepped across a mob of people, to the food tent to hand over their belongings in a tent, someone shouted from the right .

"Hey Sungmin, what are you doing here? And who is the young girl  with you? "

Chang Sung Min stopped to talk to them, while Sulli continued to walk to enjoy the solitude ... her freedom.

 

 

Around her, the soft and dark air were smelled of wet grass, moss, smoke, and fire. The sky is not completely dark by the fire and the deep blue sea looked like black from there. Sulli walked through a gap in the rocky wall and see far below. At the field  she saw the campfires  were lit as golden light surrounded by people, some of whom held the lantern. When she approached them, their faces seen clearly struck by the light of campfires   ... the faces who're joking, talking, and laughing. There smell of grilled potatoes and meats.

Someone who's brought a guitar began strumming and singing. Gradually the people crowding around him and followed him to sing a strange song. Sulli smiling and clapping from the outside , realizing that she did not recognize the song they were singing, but she dissolved in the music pounding. , Suddenly a young man who ran through tripped and bumped into her.

"Mianhe ..." he said, his voice deep and heavy.

The young man grabbed her arm to keep her balance and his body also... Sulli somewhat staggered. Then he lifted the lantern high, illuminating her face.

" Who are you ?"

"Sulli."

"Sulli who?"

"Choi Sulli."

The young man with long hair tied carelessly so that some curls framing his face that has sturdy lines. Sulli was not sure whether the effect of the campfire which makes his skin look golden brown. His body is quite high, at least higher among people there. The lines of strong muscles scratched from his upraised hand holding the lantern above his head.

"I thought  you're new here. Just alone? "

"N ... no. I came with Mrs Chang Sung Min, the innkeeper at the bottom of the hill. But ... I guess I lost her. She was talking to her friends in .... "Sulli circulates her view, was actually stuck in the middle of a strange atmosphere and there is getting dark. Fear slowly creep her, "... in .. eh ... I don’t know ..."

"I've never seen you before. Mrs. Sung Min didn’t have a daughter, I know of ... "

"Actually, I ... we just visit and get invited to this party. Do you know Mrs. Sungmin? "

"Everyone here knew her. You're a friend of her family? "

"She is my mother's best friend."

Sulli thought that he would help her to find Sungmin, but he walked to the edge by lifting the lantern,

"Do you drink soju? Here,  Soju is the product of home industry. I can get you a best soju here. It is soju of Park family-made . "

Sulli not answer, other than confused with his hospitality also being confused with Chang Sungmin. Her head turned to the left and right, trying to find her .

"You do not have to worry about Mrs. Sungmin, she would easily find you."

Sulli convinced that the young man was honest with his words. In Seoul, speaking with a stranger in the night certainly tantamount to invite danger to her... but it is a village within everyone to know each other. And this young man not seemed evil at all. Somehow, her instinct told her she could trust him. That's why she decided to accept it when the young man held out a tin cup containing soju and a fairly large grilled sausage.

"It's rose soju, especially for women. Drink! It will help warm your body. "

"Thank you ..." said Sulli, sitting on a fallen tree trunk that  is not so far from the crackling campfire. Fire flowers were floating by the wind.

 

The young man was sighed and sat next to her with a comfortable, seems he is quite satisfied with observe the feast silently of where they were sitting, while Sulli looks toward the crowd were singing ,  as she ate the sausage. Her eyes occasionally glanced at the kindly young man who sat silently at her side, his eyes are looking toward the crowd. After she ate the hot dogs, the young man was still silent. Sulli decided to try to talk to him, first.

"Do you live in this area?"

"Hemhh ...."

The young man turned to look at her with his bright brown eyes  ,

"Sorry ..?"

"I was wondering if you live around here. That is all."

He laughed, his voice warm and melodious, "I think so because the place where they pollute by this mess  is my land."

"Oh ... so you must be Choi Min-ho!"

He seemed to think, "Yes ...." he said after a moment, "I guess you're right.

Smile.

 

Sulli tilted her head slightly, with a furrowed brow. Fascinated by what she saw. Although at first glance, the young man's smile looked genuine and the smile radiating from his huge eyes. Kind of smile that would make the world around smiling. Kind of smile that without knowing his smile  sent shivers  in her heart ... oh of course the young man did not notice it !! It would be very embarrassing if  he knew how her heart slowly but surely beat faster.

Finally they sat side by side in silence that bewitch them both. The warmth of the campfire were , carried by the breeze. Sulli feel this is the most beautiful campfire, she ever enjoyed in the open field. Sound wood in flames mixed into the  music gave the same warmth as the songs that its tone began to irregular ... the people seem to have started to drunk.

"I've never seen the campfire as big as this..." sighed Sulli.

The boy's head turned toward her. For moment Sulli feels her soul into his soft gaze, carried away by that smile.

"Big or small campfire has the same meaning. They were made to warm the cold nights  , they were made to illuminate the gripped darkness in the night. No matter how big or small, the strength of the campfire can collect many strangers to be familiar ... "

"Wow ...." said Sulli  softly but full of admiration.

"Wow?"

"Your words really beautiful. If only there was a power in the human soul as it is, I'm sure life will be easier to bear ... more peaceful and enjoyable. "

"The human soul save the love that strength could be more meaningful  than a campfire. You're too young ... someday you'll learn a lot. "

 

Sudenly, the young man stand up because of the circumstances become messed around . A girl who is already drunk, screaming hysterically. The young man went to help curb the situation, it seems like it. But he did not say the words goodbye at all .

When Mrs. Sungmin found her, Sulli still can’t eliminate the shadows and the words of the young man  from her memory. And although the whole night her eyes searching, she never saw Choi Minho again.

End of Flash Back

 

 

 

Sulli’s hand involuntarily moving to her chest, feeling how her heart pounding behind her ribs. She felt the pulse faster  as if  the memories that just passed ... when clearly  it happened nine years ago. At that time she was only seventeen. She recently completed her high school and her mother kindly took her to Pyeongan for vacation, stay at Mrs. Sungmin’s home.

She can still recall vividly that evening for short trips to her freedom... from her mother eyes  .  Like she could touch back the atmosphere, the drinks, sausages, warm of campfire.
The campfire ........  she saw each always evoke her memories of   Choi Minho figure, a simple young man but able to vibrate a wonderful feeling inside her. The feeling that very late she realized that it was   love. Unrequited love.

Sulli sure, there is someone who lit a campfire on the hill. That hill is Choi Minho’s farmland. Is it true , according to the whispers of h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter