First Time

Stories of You and Me

Listen to : First Time / Day6

Chaeyeon took a deep breath and continue her trek to work. Her hands were swinging calmly by her side as she tilted her head up to gaze at the still lit sky. It has been three months since the break up that broke her. Her boyfriend throughout high school and her first years of college, Sungjin, moved back to his home town to take care of his parents and decided it was best for them to break up. Although time passed, she still finds herself heavily sighing throughout the day with him on her mind.

It was four in the afternoon and she just finished her last class of the day. Another sigh escaped as she pushed open the door to her family flower shop. She dropped her bag behind the counter before reaching for her apron and tying it around her waist.

"I'm so pathetic," she said to herself, "It's been too long, Chae."

Then walked in Chaeyeon's best friend, Jaekyung. She waved and threw her bag next to Chaeyeon's.

Jaekyung removed the piece of toast that was hanging from and greeted Chaeyeon. "And how are you holding up today?"

"Surprisingly well!" Chaeyeon lied.

Jaekyung rolled her eyes and stuffed the piece of toast in Chaeyeon's mouth, "Right."

The one person who really knew how much Chaeyeon was suffering was Jaekyung. She helped her with the first phase of the break up and cussed out Sungjin in all the ways she knew how to. Jaekyung's way of comforting always managed to help Chaeyeon.

"Where's your mom?" Jaekyung asked.

"She's not coming in today so it's just you and me."

Jaekyung gave Chaeyeon a mischievous look, "You know what that means."

"Yes, I will cover your shift while you go stalk pretty boy Younghyun next door."

"Nice!' Jaekyung cheered.

Next door is small coffee shop that the boy Jaekyung is obsessed with frequents. Whenever Jaekyung is on break or has a chance to sneak out of the store, she runs over to see him. 

"One day he is going to notice that you're in love with him and never talk to you again. This is stalking, Jaekyung. Stalking is illegal!" Chaeyeon teased.

"It's not illegal if he never notices. Goodbye now."

Jaekyung took her wallet from her bag and fled the store in a hurry. Left behind, Chaeyeon sighed and begin going around and watering the plants placed around. She went to the back of the store and finished her usual routine. Most of the time, the store is empty. Customers usually call ahead, pick up, and leave. Chaeyeon looked at her orders and began to arrange them.

The door bell chimed and a familiar voice filled the room, "Hello?"

Chaeyeon hurried back to the front, "Hello!"

"Oh-" the boy exclaimed, pointing at her.

"Oh-"

"You go to the same university as me right? Your name," he furrowed his brows in though, "Ahn Chaeyeon!"

"That's me. You're Park Jaehyung, the school talent!"

"I wouldn't say that," he rubbed his neck sheepishly.

"Don't be modest. I always hear you singing with a huge group of girls surrounding you," Chaeyeon made big arm movements to mimic the crowds of girls.

"I guess you're one of my fans then," he chuckled, "Oh, right, I'm going to the coffee shop next door when I noticed this place and remember that I needed to buy flowers. This is my first time buying flowers and I don't really know what I'm supposed to do. Do I have to order before hand or?"

"Nope, you can just go ahead and choose from what we have displayed over there."

Jaehyung nodded and looked through the different choices. As if in awe by his gentle features, Chaeyeon watched him among the flowers.  Although she often saw him at school, it was different this time. From what she observed she could tell Jae was a good person. He wasn't the type to gossip or spread anything. In fact, she barely heard any gossip about him. She found him even more fascinating in person.

"Can I get this?" he asked, holding up a bouquet that fit his liking.

"Of course," Chaeyeon smiled as she snapped out of her daze.

"Well, it was nice to officially get to meet you, Chaeyeon. I'm usually next door so if you ever have time to drop by and say hi that would be great."

"I'll see if I can."

Jaehyung returned a smile, "Then bye for now."

"Goodbye."

Jaehyung left, leaving Chaeyeon to wonder who he bought the flowers for. 

"He probably has a pretty girlfriend he's about to go and meet," she thought with a frown.

  

--

For the next few days, Chaeyeon thought about visiting Jaehyung, but decided not to after thinking about how awkward it would be to run into him with his girlfriend. She was hesitant to tell Jaekyung about her encounter. As her best friend, Jaekyung noticed Chaeyeon had something to say and forced it out of her anyways.

"You said it's Park Jaehyung, right? He's really cute! I think you should just go ahead and go for it. If he does have a girlfriend then you can just pretend like nothing ever happened. Plus, if he had a girlfriend why would he tell you to 'drop by and say hi'?" Jaekyung reasoned.

"I mean, he was probably just being nice. He's like that. He's nice."

"How do you know? You just met him yesterday. He might be flirting with you. Here's your chance to move on!' Jaekyung repeatedly hit Chaeyeon's arm in attempt to convince her.

"If I leave, my mom will get mad though," Chaeyeon argued in response.

"Then I'll her you forgot something and your friend who is at the shop got it for you and you have to pick it up."

Chaeyeon didn't want to face heartbreak again so she continued to come up with reasons not to see him, "But-"

Right when Chaeyeon was about to protest again, Jaehyung walked into the store.

"Chaeyeon!" he greeted happily.

Chaeyeon and Jaekyung stared at him with wide eyes.

"Oh, you have a friend- Should I leave?" he asked.

Jaekyung quickly shook her and stood up to leave, "I was just on my way. You should stay and keep Chaeyeon company she gets lonely really easily."

"What do you mean-" Chaeyeon glared at Jaekyung.

"Goodbye then," Jaekyung said before leaving with a sly grin.

Chaeyeon hid her embarrassment behind her hands. Jaehyung's chuckle made her remove her hands.

"She's Kwon Jaekyung, right? I see you guys together at school a lot. I see her at the cafe a lot, too. I was waiting for my friend so I decided to swing by and hang out with you until he gets here. If that's ok with you of course."

Chaeyeon nodded, "That's fine with me. Jaekyung usually ditches me for some cute guy at the cafe anyways. She pretty much goes over there everyday to see him it's so bad. I need to control her."

"A cute guy? Are you sure that's not me? I'm there everyday and I don't see anyone cuter than me," he joked, wiggling is eyebrows.

"Pft- This guy is really cute, ok? You couldn't even begin to compare. I heard he can sing and play the bass, too!" Chaeyeon scoffed.

"Wait, the bass? My friend plays the bass! Is she talking about Brian?" 

"Brian? I don't think so. His name is Younghyun," Chaeyeon frowned.

Jae laughed, "Brian is Younghyun's English name. He's from Canada and I'm from the U.S. so the two of us communicate in English. I guess I'm just used to calling him Brian then."

Chaeyeon looked away, slightly embarrassed, "Oh, I see."

Jae emitted another laugh as he reached down to ruffle the shorter girl's hair. As she felt his hand on her head, Chaeyeon flinched slightly. She thought of how Sungjin used to always do that and call her short. For the first time, Chaeyeon didn't feel the painful pang in her heart at the thought of Sungjin. She looked up at Jae, meeting his eyes.

"I-" the question that bothered her the whole night suddenly spilled out of , "Who were the flowers you bought yesterday for?"

"What? Oh, the flowers," he paused and chuckled, "Yesterday was my mother's birthday. The flowers were for her."

A wave a relief was sent through Chaeyeon's body.

"Oh," was the only response she could manage to utter in embarrassment.

For the first time, Chaeyeon found herself with another guy running through her mind. 

  

Author's Note / Man my verb tense in this chapter is so bad I'm actually just not going to go back and fix it.
Anyways, a first chapter!