1/1 FINAL

Thanks, Friend

Two minutes before the apartment burns down, Kyungsoo wakes up to the rancid smell of burnt food. He rubs his eyes and sits up from his current seat on the couch and looks over to the corner where the kitchen begins. 

"!" Baekhyun yells, his voice carrying all the way to where Kyungsoo is.

Kyungsoo takes a look around to see if anything else got destroyed. Clean, just as he left it. He breathes out of relief and gets onto his feet without any trouble. He wobbles his way to the kitchen and curls one palm around the wall that sticks out. 

"," Baekhyun repeats while looking up at Kyungsoo with his nose scrunched up like a dog. He bares his teeth and squints his eyes, a smile shortly blooming over his embarrassment. 

"I didn't mean to wake you up," he tries with his palms facing the latter. 

Baekhyun turns his head to the toaster that is covered by gray smoke. His hand fawns over it to blow away the smoke, but it floats to the top of the ceiling and amasses like clouds. 

Kyungsoo shakes his head and steps closer to the accident. This isn't the first time Baekhyun's almost burnt his house down. Though Kyungsoo does hope and pray that it will be the last of those times. His senses are completely overpowered by the smell that he doubles over.

Baekhyun squeaks and reaches for Kyungsoo's arms and grabs one, holding the latter up as best as he can. 

"I'll buy you a new toaster," Baekhyun murmurs, words flying out of his mouth. Kyungsoo is too groggy, and he can only focus on keeping both of his feet flat on the floor. 

"It's fine, I've been meaning to get a new one anyway," Kyungsoo's lying. He smiles at Baekhyun to cheer him up. 

The truth is, it was important to him. A toaster? The fact is is that his mother had given it to him as a moving-out gift. Since Kyungsoo cannot see his mother as often as he should, he makes do by using the toaster. His and his mother's work schedule intertwine, giving them no chance to make a call or short text. Instead, Kyungsoo can always use the toaster, as if it makes up for their lack of interaction.

"I got hungry," Baekhyun justifies, like Kyungsoo hadn't already forgiven him. 

Kyungsoo rubs the bridge of his nose and reaches atop his fridge and pulls off a stick-it note. 

"Just call this place and order two cheese pizzas," Kyungsoo grunts. He flicks the note at Baekhyun with his index finger and retreats to the living room out of harms way. 

Kyungsoo sits back in his original spot and turns on the television. His eyes bore into the screen as he skips channels and out of habit he starts to bite at his nails. 

Baekhyun takes the stick-it note and glares at the numbers written with ugly text. He glances up and tucks his pinkie finger behind the note and uses his other hand to pluck out his phone.

He rounds the corner to where the living room begins, peering around the corner with a grin. He moves back to the middle of the living room and dials the numbers. 

"Hello?" He notices his rise in volume and adjusts his voice to a whisper. 

"I'd like two cheese," Baekhyun's lips curl upward. "Make sure to send your cutest delivery guy." 

He settles his phone back into his front pocket and skirts his way to the living room. 

"Hey, Kyungsoo!" He shouts, his walk turning into a sprint as he glides over to the couch. He dives into the couch with amazing speed, and almost knocks into Kyungsoo in the process.

"Listen," Baekhyun purrs into Kyungsoo's shoulder, fingers massaging the latter's bicep. 

Kyungsoo glares at him and shakes his tedious fingers off, pondering about Baekhyun's enthusiasm. 

"What?" He demanded; "What else did you burn?"

Baekhyun purses his lips and mocks Kyungsoo's irritation. He curls his fingers around Kyungsoo's wrist and pulls. Kyungsoo lurches forward and doesn't try to yank away this time.

"I wanted to tell you that you owe me now." Baekhyun coos, his eyes shaped like crescents and his white teeth blinding Kyungsoo. 

Kyungsoo scoffs at him. "You almost set my toaster on fire, since when do I owe you?"

Baekhyun bites his lip in concentration. His eyes light up, fingers dancing across Kyungsoo's arm in delight. 

"You'll see!" He turns away from Kyungsoo and feigns surprise as he takes out his phone.

"Oh, no," Baekhyun whispers, frowning at his screen. 

Kyungsoo looks over and his head to one side. He brings his legs in to sit cross-legged, one arm loose on his knee. He reaches for his glasses only to realize he had taken them off before he fell asleep.

"Chanyeol is texting me, he says there's something wrong with Sehun." Baekhyun pouts at Kyungsoo and slides his phone back into his pocket. He catches it before it falls out onto the couch. 

Kyungsoo smirks and crosses his arms over his chest. He looks  at Baekhyun who remains still, his frown stretched across his face. 

"Your pet snake, Baekhyun?" He voices, a knowing look. 

Baekhyun turns red in the cheeks and swats at Kyungsoo, huffing and puffing as he gets up from the couch. He reaches for a brown pillow but misses when Kyungsoo grabs at him, and he begins to whine aloud.

"Chanyeol wanted him not me," he croons. "Anyway, I have to go. Enjoy the pizza!" He rockets out of the living room, keys jangling.

It quiets down when Baekhyun is gone, and Kyungsoo sits still on the couch. He can't focus on the television, and yet he can still hear his clock ticking five feet away.

 

Kyungsoo is nose deep in a book when the bell goes off. It's not  a shrill sound but more of a buzzer that grabs his attention. He jumps out of his seat and scrambles to the door. At the door he notices the tall delivery man, tall with bronze skin and a cap that covers his facial features. 

Kyungsoo stands dumbfounded as the man begins to bow his head and apologize. In the light he can see how pink the man's cheeks are. His cheeks become warm too, now that he acknowledges how awkward he feels. 

"I'm sorry," the man says, continuing to bow his head. He stops bowing and looks at Kyungsoo for a moment before bowing again, and again.

Kyungsoo raises a hand to stop him. He pulls out his wallet and takes out a twenty, looking up towards the delivery guy. The latter seems calmer now but he sees the man's fingers fidget by his side. He didn't mean to scare him, or so he thinks he did. He has that effect on people.

"Why are you sorry?" Kyungsoo wonders aloud, handing over the twenty. He looks the man up and down, registering the name written across the man's chest.

Jongin.

"You called asking for s-someone cute," the man- Jongin says. "I'm the only one on delivery right now," he admits, all shy and flustered.

Kyungsoo blushes to the tip of his ears and runs a hand through the back of his hair. Twenty year-old's don't blush, do they? His hand remains at his side though they twitch twice at his side.

Jongin hands him the pizzas and looks eager to leave when Kyungsoo finds his voice.

"It's okay, I got everything I wanted," Kyungsoo blurts. His face reddens like a tomato and delivery boy Jongin uses his hands to cover his face.

Luckily Kyungsoo isn't the only one in hysterics, as Jongin fans himself with one hand. 

"I-I see, that's good," Jongin bites his bottom lip and holds out a receipt and pen. 

Kyungsoo takes this as rejection and a curve to his confession and signs his name at the bottom. 

Jongin takes the receipt and glances up at Kyungsoo after he glances over the writing. He furrows his eyebrows and smiles a little to himself.

"You forgot something," Jongin says giving the receipt back to Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo blinks and looks over the receipt again, skimming down to his signature. He blinks and looks at Jongin with his head tilted to one side.

"What's missing?" He asks, fingers pressed tight with the receipt creating a wall between them. His palm is sweaty now and he wants to go back inside, to brush off the wave of anxiety he feels crawling up his skin.

Jongin steps closer and takes hold of Kyungsoo's hand, forcing the pen on the receipt. 

"Your number."