Stage 1

Stages

for the sake of this story, the pledis girls are all sixteen/seventeen and are all juniors/seniors

 

-

 

“What?” The girl with the pretty face and the pretty smile and the pretty laugh asked with a confused look on her face, her arms being held by at least three hands from three different people.

 

Nayoung sat off to the side of their lunch table, not paying much mind to her friends and their shenanigans. She did feel bad for the girl though. It was only her first day here and she got so much attention everywhere she went. (But it looked like she knew how to handle it.)

 

The girl was getting all the attention because of her looks and Nayoung admitted that the girl was indeed beautiful but she wasn’t swooning over her as most of the other students were doing. It just seemed like a little too much for her.

 

“Ah, no fair!” Nayoung looked up from her notebook to see Sejeong and her two friends walking by. “We wanted to get Jieqiong into our friend group!” She said with a pout that would put a thousand puppies to shame. The other Nayoung nodded as she held Sejeong’s hand. (It was so painfully obvious that the two had a thing together but they’d never admit it.)

 

“Nope! She’s ours.” Eunwoo stuck her tongue out and hugged Jieqiong’s arm. Sejeong and her friends just gave a friendly laugh and continued on their way. Those girls were adored by everybody in the building and Nayoung wasn’t excluded.

 

Her friends went back to pestering Jieqiong, barely allowing the girl to even take a bite of her lunch.

 

“You should join our dance club!” Minkyung suggested excitedly as her arm was slung around Kyungwon’s shoulders. All heads turned towards Nayoung, including Jieqiong’s. The girl looked up from her notes and blinked. “What?”

 

“You’re the leader.” Eunwoo pointed out. “You call the shots.”

 

“But you guys sound like you’re forcing her.” Nayoung stated. “What if she doesn’t want to join?”

 

Jieqiong spoke up for herself. “Actually, I’d like to join, if that’s okay?”

 

Nayoung’s eyes widened for a split second before she gave a small nod. “Okay, then. We practice everyday after school in the basement music room.”

 

And Nayoung wasn’t sure if it was because she was getting sick or what, but when the girl’s face broke out into a look of pure happiness, smile breathtakingly bright, Nayoung’s heart fluttered.

 

-

 

“One and two and three and four!” Nayoung’s voice resonated through the room as she stood off to the side, watching the girls run through the choreo. She continued her counts until they finished the last move. She hummed. “Good. Siyeon, loosen up a bit on the first part before the chorus.”

 

The younger girl nodded, doing the moves once more as she stared at herself in the large mirror in front of them.

 

Nayoung spotted Jieqiong in the far back corner, the girl attempting to follow along to the video on the phone but messing up and having to watch it again. It had been only a couple of days since Jieqiong transferred but the girl was seemingly serious about wanting to be in the dance club, working hard for hours after school to catch up with the other girls.

 

Nayoung walked over and Jieqiong gave her a bright smile despite her earlier aggravation.

 

“Do you need help?” Nayoung inwardly cringed at her own awkwardness. Jieqiong didn’t seem to notice it or, if she did, she didn’t show it.

 

With a small laugh, she nodded. “Yes, please.”

 

Nayoung ran through the choreo with Jieqiong, pleasantly surprised with how well the girl was able to dance.

 

“Okay, you have to move your hips for this part along with your legs.” Nayoung played the video on the phone and showed it to Jieqiong, who leaned in close to watch. She smelled like fresh flowers and Nayoung tried really hard not to blush at how nicely the other girl smelled.

 

“Ooh. That looks difficult.” Jieqiong said with a sheepish smile. Nayoung set the phone down.

 

“It’s not. You’ll get it eventually. Watch me first.” Nayoung did the dance, legs and hips in sync as she counted out loud. She was never one to get shy or flustered but the way Jieqiong stared at her and her body made her ears warm up. “Now you try.”

 

Jieqiong had the leg part of the choreo down but struggled with the rest. She looked at Nayoung for assistance. Nayoung bit her lip, trying to think of a way she could help Jieqiong.

 

She walked behind the girl and placed her hands on the girl’s hips. “Do the leg choreo. One, two, three, go.” And as the girl moved her legs, Nayoung helped her move her hips back and forth in the right rhythm.

 

“Oh! That makes sense!” Jieqiong said excitedly after Nayoung did the same thing with her a couple more times. “You’re the best at teaching!” The girl smiled at her through the mirror and it was the second time Nayoung felt something inside of her flutter because of the new girl.

 

-

 

It was Friday and the girls were nearing the end of their daily dance club. Jieqiong had managed to catch up to the rest of the girls and no longer had to practice alone in the back corner.

 

“Good. That’s it for today.” Nayoung officially ended the practice as she did everyday, albeit a bit out of breath. The girls rushed to their bags to grab water bottles and towels to wipe their sweat.

 

Nayoung’s bag was coincidentally placed right next to Jieqiong’s on the bench off to the side. She sat down next to the girl and wiped her sweat off. Jieqiong took small sips of her water, watching Eunwoo and Siyeon bicker with each other, a small smile on her lips.

 

After resting for a few minutes, Nayoung stood and gathered her things. Yebin stopped her before she could even reach the door.

 

“It’s Friday! Aren’t you coming with us to the yogurt shop?” She asked loudly across the room.

 

Nayoung turned and shook her head. “I’m tired.”

 

“Come on!” Eunwoo stopped her playful argument with Siyeon to join in on the conversation. “It’s going to be Jieqiong’s first time with us! You can’t miss it!”

 

Nayoung just liked to think that her friends were really persuasive people and it wasn’t the fact that she had a soft spot for the new transfer student with the radiant smile that she decided to go to the yogurt shop with them.

 

-

 

“Is this what you guys do every Friday?” Jieqiong asked as she walked next to Nayoung, the two of them behind the others by a few steps. Nayoung nodded.

 

“You all seem really close.”

 

“We are.” Nayoung replied as they neared the shop, greeted by the familiar old lady working at the front. She had taken a liking to the group of highschoolers that made her Fridays a lot more exciting.

 

Nayoung watched as Jieqiong went straight to one of the tables instead of immediately getting in line with the rest of the girls. She walked over. “Aren’t you going to get some yogurt?”

 

Jieqiong scrunched her nose up and shook her head, smiling as she always did. “I didn’t come prepared. No money.”

 

As much as Nayoung wanted to pay for her, she sadly didn’t have enough for two yogurt cups.

 

“Do you want to share with me then?” Again, Nayoung’s words came out completely awkward and monotone and again, Jieqiong smiled that damned smile at her.

 

“I’d like that.”

 

They walked to line together and got half and half of each of their tastes. The ending result was a funny sight. One side of the cup was strawberry yogurt topped with gummy bears, oreos, and rainbow sprinkles whilst the other side was just plain vanilla yogurt. You could clearly tell whose side was whose.

 

The girls pushed a couple of tables together so they could all fit, with Jieqiong and Nayoung sitting together on one end.

 

“Do you only ever get vanilla?” Jieqiong asked her as the other girls were being loud as usual. The younger girl was biting on the plastic spoon she had which made it really hard for Nayoung to brea - focus.

 

“Yeah.” She mumbled, staring at Jieqiong’s half of the cup. “Do you always get… everything?” She asked.

 

Jieqiong let out a giggle at the serious way Nayoung asked the question and Nayoung made a decision right then and there that Jieqiong’s smile was the best thing she had ever heard in all her seventeen years of living.

 

When the group finished their yogurts, they cleaned up their area and pushed the tables back to where they originally were and left after saying goodbye to the sweet old lady who dealt with them every Friday.

 

“Movie night at my house, who’s in?” Siyeon piped up. All the girls spoke up except for Nayoung and Jieqiong.

 

Jieqiong looked a bit guilty. “My parents might worry about me.”

 

“Aw, but you’re a big girl now.” Siyeon whined.

 

“I wouldn’t have a ride home.” Jieqiong said quietly.

 

“Then sleep over. All of these losers sleep over, anyways.”

 

Jieqiong peeked over at Nayoung, who simply blinked at her. “Why are you looking at me?”

 

“She wants you to go, too, you dimwit.” Eunwoo cackled as they continued down the street.

 

“Cool! Looks like the whole crew is going!”

 

Nayoung just sighed whilst Siyeon gave her a pat on the arm. “Yeah, sure, I’ll go.”

 

“I want to shower first.” Kyungwon began to run down the empty street.

 

“No way! It’s my house!” Siyeon ran after her.

 

Seconds later, only Jieqiong and Nayoung were left in the back to walk.

 

“You don’t have to go… I heard you say you were tired earlier.” Jieqiong spoke quietly, kicking at pebbles as she walked. Nayoung shrugged.

 

“It’s okay, I’m not that tired.” She lied. She was about to pass out from exhaustion and being so close to Jieqiong alone was not doing her any good.

 

“Why did you want me to go?” She asked, her curious side coming out.

 

Jieqiong let out a little laugh. “I don’t know… because I like you?” Nayoung was quick to tell her mind not to misinterpret the sentence. “I like the other girls, too - they’re loud and energetic and totally my style - but because you’re so different from them I think you’re more… endearing.”

 

Nayoung’s stunned silence threw Jieqiong into a pit of shame.

 

“I’m sorry, was that too creepy? Is it weird that I said that after only knowing you guys for like four days? Sorry! Sometimes I - “

 

“It’s fine.” Nayoung cut her off. “I just… I don’t get called endearing very often. I was just surprised is all.”

 

“Oh.” Jieqiong replied. “I think you’re endearing.”

 

Nayoung’s heart skipped a beat as her lips curved up just the slightest bit.

 

-

 

Siyeon pulled out the multiple futons she had stocked up in her closet for occasions such as this one. The girls took their pick and moved to the living room, setting them all out. As they waited for all the girls to finish showering, they talked and ate light snacks, discussing what type of movie they should watch.

 

Minkyung giggled as she made a suggestion. “Let’s watch horror.” She said. “Nayoung hates horror movies.” The oldest of the group was in the shower, the last of them to go which left her with almost no hot water.

 

Jieqiong raised her eyebrows. “Really?”

 

“She really really hates them.”

 

“Then let’s not watch it.” Jieqiong frowned. Siyeon threw an arm around Jieqiong’s shoulders.

 

“You’re too nice, Jieqiong. Have some fun!” She grinned, a twinkle in her eye. “Besides, a scared Nayoung is a clingy Nayoung.” She wiggled her eyebrows.

 

“W - Why are you telling me that?” Jieqiong stammered. Did the room tempature rise or was it just Jieqiong imagining things?

 

Eunwoo joined in on the teasing. “Don’t you have a thing for our dear leader?”

 

“Who said that?” Jieqiong asked.

 

“Nobody had to.” Yebin, the one Jieqiong trusted the most out of the rowdy bunch, said. Jieqiong’s jaw slacked as she stared at the group who all nodded in agreement.

 

“Truthfully, I thought you two would start making out the minute she put her hands on your waist to help you with the choreo.” Minkyung said calmly, popping a potato chip into .

 

Whaaat?! She was just teaching me how to dance!” Jieqiong replied defensively.

 

“Denial is the first stage.” Kyungwon cooed.

 

“Denial is the first stage of what?” Nayoung appeared out of nowhere, giving the rest of the girls heart attacks. She was wearing a tank top with shorts, showing a lot of skin. Jieqiong tried hard not to stare at the girl’s very pretty body.

 

“The first stage of love!” Eunwoo replied dramatically.

 

“Who’s in love?” Nayoung sat down on her futon that was placed down next to Jieqiong’s. Jieqiong shot Eunwoo a glare.

 

If only looks could kill…

 

“You’ll figure it out soon enough, Nayoungie.” Eunwoo smiled, not phased by Jieqiong’s stare at all.

 

Don’t call me Nayoungie.” Nayoung mumbled in disgust.

 

“Would you rather Stone Buddha?”

 

Nayoung narrowed her eyes. “Nevermind. Nayoungie is fine.”

 

“Stone Buddha?” Jieqiong quipped.

 

Nayoung shook her head. “Long story.”

 

“No it’s not!” Siyeon exclaimed. “It’s only because you look like a statue of Buddha all the time with that blank face of yours!” After the exclamation, the youngest girl of the group then hid behind the shoulder of Yebin to avoid the wrath that was Nayoung’s death glare.

 

It was then that a small giggle caught Nayoung’s attention and made all of her annoyance disappear. She looked to her side to see Jieqiong’s hand covering the bottom half of her face, covering her beautiful smile.

 

“Sorry. It’s just…” She giggled again. “Stone Buddha…”

 

Nayoung absolutely despised the nickname given to her by the group of fools she called her friends but if she could make Jieqiong smile like that because of it, she’d change her legal name to it in the blink of an eye.

 

-

 

“You’re kidding me, right?” Nayoung asked the girl sitting behind her on the couch as Eunwoo ran over to the light switch, engulfing the room in darkness. Siyeon switched on the TV, illuminating all of the girls in the screen’s bright light.

 

“We’re going to watch a scary movie.”

 

Nayoung huffed and sat on her futon, pulling up the blankets though the movie had yet to start. Her facial expression was blank but Jieqiong could notice the tiny wrinkle of the skin between her eyebrows.

 

As soon as the movie started, Nayoung was silent. Whenever Nayoung would flinch or jump, the other girls would and ask her if she wanted to go in the other room. Nayoung was defiant and stayed in her spot (only after calling her friends s).

 

Jieqiong wasn’t affected at all by the movie. She scooted closer to Nayoung and watched as the ghost on the screen got closer to the camera. She pointed to the screen and whispered to Nayoung.

 

“The ghost looks constipated.”

 

Nayoung snorted at the comment and refused to look up.

 

“I’m serious.” Jieqiong tugged on Nayoung hand that was holding the blanket above her eyes. “If you start thinking of things in a funny manner then it really isn’t scary anymore.”

 

Nayoung just stared at Jieqiong, who raised her eyebrows in a ‘Come on, now’ way. Jieqiong was still holding onto her hand as she lowered the blanket, eyes peeking at the screen. It was only two seconds until Nayoung closed her eyes, hand tightening its grip on Jieqiong’s. “No, it’s still scary.”

 

“Underneath all the makeup and editing, it’s just a bunch of regular actors.” Jieqiong was still rather closer to Nayoung, head leaning on the older girl’s shoulder, eyes lazily staring at the TV screen. “Scary movies are boring to me.”

 

“What movies do you like?” Nayoung asked, turning her head to look at Jieqiong, avoiding the movie at all costs.

 

Jieqiong shrugged. “Romantic comedies.”

 

Of course it would be romantic comedies. Jieqiong just pegged Nayoung as the type to like those movies.

 

“How about you?”

 

“Same thing.”

 

Really?” Jieqiong whispered, surprised. Siyeon threw a pillow at the two’s backs.

 

“Shut up, we’re trying to watch.” Nayoung could hear the girls whispering between each other before Siyeon spoke up again. “You two are welcome to go to my room and do something else.”

 

The way she said it made it seem like she and Jieqiong would do something. Nayoung rolled her eyes and stood nonetheless. “I’m going to sleep.”

 

“Jieqiong, are you going to sleep with her?”

 

Jieqiong’s eyes widened at the hidden innuendo. “What?”

 

“You can stay out here and watch the movie, it’s okay.” Nayoung said as she walked towards the bedroom.

 

Jieqiong looked over towards the other girls who made drastic motions for her to follow Nayoung. Jieqiong gave frustrated motions in response before Siyeon kicked her with her foot and made her get up. Jieqiong pouted and shuffled towards the bedroom. The girls kept whisper-yelling nonsense towards her which made Jieqiong blush like there was no tomorrow.

 

She knocked on the door once before peeking her head inside.

 

“Hi.”

 

“Hi.” Nayoung was sitting on the side of her bed, taking her hair out of her ponytail and running her fingers through it. Jieqiong gulped down the lump in .

 

“Thought you might need some company.” Jieqiong leaned on the doorway. Nayoung pursed her lips. “I’m fine alone.”

 

There was a small tug on Jieqiong’s heart. “Oh, okay. I’ll - “ She was halfway out of the room when Nayoung spoke up again.

 

“Sorry, I didn’t mean it to come out as if I… didn’t want you to be here. You can come in.” Nayoung hesitated as she spoke, voice coming out in something different than her usual tone - a bit panicked. Jieqiong smiled and closed the door behind her, going to sit next to Nayoung.

 

“Ah, I was serious about going to sleep.” Nayoung mumbled. “Spending time with me while I’m asleep is even worse than spending time with me when I’m awake.”

 

“It’s okay, I’m sleepy, too.” Jieqiong hopped to the other side of the bed and got underneath the covers, waiting for the other girl to join her.

 

“O - Okay.” Nayoung mumbled, slipping under the covers - very aware at the body heat radiating off of the girl next to her.

 

Jieqiong rotated her body and Nayoung almost yelped, feeling the girl’s smooth skin touch her own. “I cuddle in my sleep.” She warned.

 

Nayoung froze because she did, too. Jieqiong stared at Nayoung’s side profile. “Want me to go get an extra pillow to hug?”

 

“Siyeon’s bed is already small enough.” Nayoung mumbled, trying to keep her voice steady. “It’s fine. I cuddle, too.”

 

Jieqiong’s heart skipped a beat and she slowly wrapped an arm around the front of Nayoung’s lower body. “Then it’s fine if I do this?”

 

Nayoung hummed because she knew words weren’t going to come out of properly if she tried to speak. She felt Jieqiong’s nose nuzzle her bare shoulder before her head came to rest upon it, whole body resting against Nayoung’s right side. “Goodnight.” Jieqiong murmured.

 

“Night.” Nayoung replied.

 

And, even though Nayoung woke up with no sense of touch on her whole right side of her body, she’d definitely sleep with Jieqiong again if she was given the chance.