Final

Broken Sole
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A graceful face appeared, with fair skin, pink lips, her long strawberry blond hair slowly cascaded down her back as she turned, her beautiful blue eyes were like an ocean you can get in. Even when dressed in colorless rags, her angelic smile still shined through. 
“Get back to work Qian! After this you have to clean the chimney, then the kitchen, then you have to wash the dishes, and then clean the guest rooms,” yelled the authoritative voice. One word, stepmother! Lady Lin had a sinister glare which had the power to twist and turn Qian’s insides with fear. After Qian’s father married Lady Lin, her two daughters moved into the family mansion. Then years later, Cinderella’s father left for a long journey, and has never returned since. That’s when stepmother’s true colors started to show, the sweet stepmother who once showered her with kindness not too long ago, turned into a deviously manipulative tyrant who dictated every part of Qian’s life. Her daughters are fueled by their mother’s share envy towards Qian and her overall beauty and  wholesome charm. In conclusion, they all act very harsh towards her. The only kind person in her life is, Luhan. Luhan is a site to gaze at, he too had good genes, just like Qian. Luhan was a flower boy, with his fair skin, chiseled chin, passionate brown eyes, and baby face which made him appear to be younger than his real age. His confident smirks and eye smiles were enough to make all the girls swoon, but to Qian he was none of that, he was just her one and only friend. She didn’t want to destroy their wonderful friendship with a stupid thing called love. To Luhan, she was more than just his friend, he secretly loved her. Some may call it love at first sight, he instantly started to like her once his eyes locked with her when they were both only 6. He could see the universe in her eyes, but wasn’t that obvious? Even when Qian was locked away by her deliberately cruel stepmother, Luhan still managed to be by her side and sympathetically embraced her. Even when she rejected him a thousand times, he still stood by her side, with a smile like nothing had ever happened. She still saw him as a just a friend and nothing more. Ok, enough with all this lovey dovey talk, the narrator wants to get back to the story. “Yes, stepmother,” said the fearful but agitated voice. As Qian got back to work, a rush of trepidation hit her, and she shook it off and proceeded to grab the broom, when the doorknob turned and her worst nightmare appeared in front of her. Her stepsisters stepped into the room, and a wave of distress enveloped her.
 “What are you doing , Qian” asked a menacing voice.
  “I’m going to clean the chimney,” said Qian unhappily.  
“Well, then lets us be of your assistance,” said Mei teasingly. 
   “Yeah, let us be of your assistance,” said Jenny as she sarcastically laughed. 
Just as Cinderella though it was all over, Mei and Jenny picked up a bucket of water and dumped it on Qian, leaving her drenched in cold water. 
“Oh no, what have we done, oops sorry,” said Jenny in an unapologetic voice. 
“Sorry not sorry,” said Mei as she wickedly laughed.
“Hey Mei we have a royal ball to attend tonight, we need to start getting ready,” said Jenny.
“Yeah you are right, lets leave this loser and get ready, we need to make sure one of us has a chance to marry the prince,” said Mei as she exited the room. 
Just as Qian started to breath normally again, Mei turned and said, “finish cleaning and make our dresses, and then help us get ready, or else!” Qian internally had the urge to say ‘or else what’ but she knew if she said that her stepsisters would threaten to kick her out of the house, and Mei didn’t like the sound of that, so she quietly swept the chimney. Later, as Mei continued to complete her orders given to her by her stepmother, her work load slowly started to disappear, and now all she had let to was clean the dishes. As she held a stoic face, she entered the kitchen, and there lay a tower of dishes waiting for her arrival. She let out a silent sigh and started to wash the dishes, this was quite common, infact this was the same exact routine she  has experienced for the past two years. “99,and 100, done.” Qian let out a tired yawn, and it seems that the insomnia has almost caught up with her. Nonetheless, it didn't matter if she was tired, because if she didn't continue cleaning, stepmother will scold her until her ears bled. When she finally resumed her task of cleaning the guest rooms, Mei and Jenny interrupted her and ripped her from continuing her work. 
“Qian, what are you doing, you are supposed to be helping us in preparation for the royal ball,” shouted Mei in Qian's ear. 
“Yeah,what are you doing huh,” interrogated Jenny. 
“You are coming with us, the royal timekeeper just announced that the annual Royal ball is in 4 hours, we need to get started promptly,” said Jenny. 
“But I have to finish cleaning the guest rooms,” said Qian. 
“Does it look like I care, you can probably finish the work by 12 o’clock midnight,” said Mei impatiently. 
“Well whatever you do not have a choice in this,” said Jenny rudely.
Both the sisters were now at either side of Qian, as they dragged her by her wrist into the enormous closet room. “Now where are the dresses you have made,” asked Mei with a glint of excitement in her eye. Not a single word escaped Qian's lips as she stood silently for fate to hit her over the head, the truth is, she hasn't made any dresses yet. “Where are the dresses,now answer me , Qian,” hollered Mei anxiously. 
“I-I-I haven't made them yet,” stuttered Qian unable to function. 
“That's it you have gone too far, off to the basement you go,” said Jenny. 
“But I-I,” before Qian could protest any further, Jenny and her agile hands grabbed either sides of Qian and pushed her into the dusty basement and locked the door. “Ow,” screamed Qian in pain as she landed on her back. ‘Why did it have to come with this,’ thought Qian as she sulked to herself. Many moments later she  decided there was no hope if she just sat there, so she worked up the courage to continuously yell for help.She was so exhausted and aggravated that she began balled her fists and slammed them against the glass door desperately seeking a way to exit. Her shouts and knocks against the thick glass became sharper and louder, that even Luhan who was down the street could hear. As she wailed helplessly for help, Luhan realized who it was and went to the basement door to release her from the cold and dark space. When he arrived outside the basement window, he saw her pale face, and almost instantly their eyes met, and set of fireworks inside his heart. ‘I've never seen a expression so captivating before,’ he thought as he resumed into reality. After he signaled for Qian to move he used a stone and broke the glass of the basement window; creating an exit for the young maiden to escape from. “Qian, are you okay,” he questioned as he repeatedly shook her, but all she could do was sob into his shoulder, leaving a puddle of tears on his shirt in the process. “Qian, don't cry, I'm here now it's all going to be okay,” said Luhan attempting to get her to stop crying, but his attempt failed and just made Qian cry even more. “Since those consoling words might not be able to comfort you, I feel uneasy again,” said Luhan. 
“I'm sorry Luhan, my bottled up emotions got the better of me,” said Qian feeling guilty for the puddle of tears which is now evident on Luhan’s shirt.
“What happened which caused you such sorrow,” asked Luhan. 
“My unkind stepsisters locked me in the basement because I failed to make their dresses for the royal ball tonight, and they also forbid me to go,” said Qian recalling past events. 
“They can’t tell you what to do, we are going to the royal ball tonight,” commented Luhan casually as he flashed his signature smirk. 
“What,” said Qian wearing a shocked expression. 
“I said we are going to the royal ball tonight, now let's go get ready,” said Luhan as he slowly eye smiled at her. Before Qian could answered he grabbed her hand, leaving her no choice but to follow him into his house. The very second they entered his house, they were greeted by a grand stairway which led to the upper portion of the house. After walking up the laborious stairs they reached the closet room. In the closet room, they were welcomed by many options of clothing ranging from formal suits and ties to ball gowns and formal dresses. “Choose one,” said Luhan as he relaxed into the sofa which rested opposite of the heaps of dresses.
 “But there are so many,” said Qian as she stared at him with a confused expression. “Would you like me to help you choose,” suggested Luhan. 
“That would be lovely,” answered Cinderella candidly.
“Ok, let's get started,” aid Luhan as he clapped his hands together. He went over to the heap of dresses and picked out a blue dress which caught his eye.The dress was a beautiful light blue color which had a low-cut neckline, lighter peplum, capped sleeves, a exquisite laced white petticoat and a lace white sash around the bodice. “What about this one,” said Luhan with a bright expression. 
“It's beautiful, may I try it on,” said Qian anxiously. 
“Yes, you may,” said Luhan as he exited the room, giving Qian her privacy. 
Qian slipped the dress on and paired it with a dark blue choker and put up her hair into a high bun and added a dark blue headband for a pop of color. 
“You may come in now,” said Qian. Luhan entered and immediately he became awestruck. 
“It's nice, but have you seen yourself in the mirror yet,” asked Luhan wondering why she is still wearing an expressionless face. 
“No why, does it look horrendous,” questioned Qian with a straight face.
“Nope you look absolutely stunning,” said Luhan falling deeper and deeper into her crystal blue eyes. He handed her the mirror and she started at it, still wearing a dull expression. 
“My reflection in the mirror is so empty, as if there is nothing there,” she stated blandly.
Luhan didn’t understand what had driven her to this state of dullness, but he wanted to comfort her again, he wanted to see her eyes drenched with joy again. ‘It's a bit sad we can't return to back then.’ He faced her again with a smile, “well I think you look wonderful.” 
“Do you really think so,” she asked as she questioned if he was showing her pity. 
“You look pretty now. But, if you don't learn to love yourself, then whenever you are pretty you won't be considered a beauty. You need to think you are beautiful first to be beautiful.” he stated sincerely. There was an awkward pause, then Luhan cleared his throat and spoke again, “I will change into proper attire and we can begin walking to the castle together.” 
“Ok,” she answered finally with a glint of excitement in her eye. 
“Okay, I will be right there,” answered Luhan.
After what seemed like forever, Luhan finally came out of his room, in a dashing tuxedo and his hair combed, “let's go,” he said as he put his hand out for Qian to grab. They both slowly walked out of the house and into the streets, their hands were still locked together as they steadily walked. The lights shined towards them like a spotlight which was focusing on them, it highlighted their movements; the radiant smiles and timid

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter