Final

Weak and Wild
Please log in to read the full chapter

    As he lay still the sunlight crept in to the white room, hitting Yoongi’s face. It radiated on his pale skin as his dark and thick eyelashes sat perfectly below his closed eyes. Those eyes that had not seen sunlight in such a long time. It had been five years already that he’s been in that same position, immobile and lifeless--almost ghostlike.

 

“Ah, Good morning Yoongi.”

 

The nurse who cared for him regularly entered the room, greeting the unresponsive male before her.  She casually checked him over, jotting things down on her clipboard every now and then.

 

“Great!” She mouthed, looking down at the clipboard in her hands before taking a small glance at the male. “You are as healthy as always, Yoongi. Keep up the good work, okay?”

 

She was replied with the male’s smooth and sound breathing, following the beeping of the machine that he was connected to. It was all so surreal, really, how peaceful he looked. He seemed like a prince who was awaiting a kiss from a princess to wake him up from his deep, deep slumber.

 

“I don’t know if you can hear me…” she whispered, raising her hand as to caress his dark hair. “But I just want you to know that you’re not alone. I know you don’t even know me and I’m probably just an employee here and all, but I’ve really come to know and care for you…”

 

There was a knock on the door, cutting the worker halfway through her confession.

 

“May I come in?” The voice said from behind the door.

 

The nurse quickly retracted her hand, picking up her clipboard as she cleared .

 

“Yes, yes, please do so.” She replied, watching as the door opened and in popped a familiar figure.

 

“Areum,” the boy called as soon as he saw the female worker. “How’s my brother?”

 

The nurse, Areum, simply smiled.

 

“Hey Namjoon,” she said. “Oh, he’s good.”

 

The boy nodded his head, not really content with the response. Feeling bummed out with the fact that he’s heard that same response for the past five years, yet nothing really happened. His brother was still lying unconscious on the hospital bed and there was absolutely nothing he could do about it.

 

“Don’t feel down,” Areum said. She turned back to look at Yoongi, then back at the said male’s brother. “He’ll wake up soon.”

 

Namjoon sighed.

 

“It’s been five years, Areum…” he looked down at his hands as to not shed tears in front of the female worker. “Do you really think he’ll wake up? I…” he trailed off, walking towards his family member. “I’m getting really hopeless now. I’m scared that he won’t wake up anymore.”

 

Areum was silent. She didn’t know how to respond; either she consoled him with false promises or agreed with him, but none of the two would help. All she could do was walk over to the boy, place a hand on his shoulder and smile wearily, cheering him on.

 

All the meanwhile Yoongi, still in coma, heard and processed every word that had been spoken to him as he has always done for the past five years.

 

 

    Shading his eyes and face from the direct sunlight, Yoongi let out a huge breath. He was sitting down on a log as he heard a voice call his name, causing him to turn around and face the ocean breeze. There, he saw a foggy figure of a girl. He wasn’t sure who it was, or what she wanted, but she called out his name again.

 

“Keep up the good work, okay?”

 

Yoongi’s brows arched, confused.

 

“Good work? What?” He asked, aloud, getting up from where he was sitting.

 

Intrigued, he crept closer and closer to the stranger hiding behind the fog that called his name. She said something, but the sound of the waves crashing nearby didn’t allow him to hear clearly.

 

However so, he managed to hear a bit of what she said at the end.

 

“But I’ve really come to know and care for you…”

 

“What?” He asked.

 

The male was already in front of the figure, but before he could even reach out to her he watched her beat him to it, reaching out and caressing his hair. The whole sudden action caused his knees to go weak and his heartbeat to accelerate.

 

“Who…” he paused, “are you?”

 

There was no response from the strange figure. All she did, from what the fogginess allowed him to see, was breathe so gently. It was so pleasant, really, how she held onto him. But that feeling soon flew away with the cool ocean breeze, as like did the female figure.

 

“W-Wait!” Yoongi called out unknowingly. “Don’t go! You didn’t even tell me who you are…”

 

He thrashed his head in every direction, searching for her. The girl who was a stranger, yet so familiar at the same time. It felt like he didn’t know her, but knew her at the same time. Everything about her, although he didn’t physically see much of her, seemed to churn something in his brain and heart; her voice, how soft her hands were, and how smoothly she breathed.

 

And just before he was about to stop searching for her he came across a different figure. However he could clearly look at the person whom he knew all too well.

 

“Namjoon?” He called, picking up his feet as he dashed towards his younger brother. “Namjoon, oh my God.”

 

The other male simply looked at him, brows furrowing in surprisement. He stepped back, covering his agape mouth with his hands.

 

“Yoongi…” was all the latter could whisper.

 

The said male nodded, “Yeah, it’s me.”

 

“How? What…” the other male asked. “How are you here? How are you… alive?”

 

The last word sent chills down Yoongi’s spine. He felt like a boulder was pushed onto his shoulders, crushing him little by little.

 

“What are you talking about?” He asked, shaking his head. “Why wouldn’t I be alive? I’m… I’m alive, Namjoon.”

 

The male laughed as if to comfort himself in some way, but it wasn’t really helping him. Instead, he reached out to his brother.

 

“Namjoon,” he said. “What is going on? Why did you think I was dead?”

 

The younger boy simply shook his head, steadily backing away from his elder brother.

 

“I’m getting really hopeless now.” He said, repeating it as he slowly, but very surely, disappeared into pure air.

 

Yoongi watched in horror as his brother vanished before his own eyes. He looked left and right, up and down, but he couldn’t seem to focus on anywhere in particular. He didn’t even know what he was looking for; just anyone, anything, but found nothing. He was alone--all alone once again.

 


 

    The very next morning Areum went on with her daily hospital routine, doing regular check-ups on her patients. Everything was going smoothly until it was Yoongi’s turn. She was already on her way to his designated hospital bed when she noticed the door was ajar. And, of course, being as curious as she was she slowly crept closer to the room where she heard some voices speaking in a hushed manner.

 

“I’m just not sure,” a voice Areum recognized said. It sounded like her mentor, Dr. Song, who was in charge of Yoongi’s recovery and whatnot. “He has been in a coma for such a long time, so it might have to be the only solution… but I still have some hope for him.”

 

She creeped a little closer, peeking a little through the open door.

 

“Mmm,” the other person murmured. Areum didn’t recognize the other person’s voice, just that it was another male. “I see.”

 

“But that’s just me,” Dr. Song continued. “Maybe it’s because I’ve been attending to him for the past years and he’s grown on me…”

 

“A doctor should never let a patient grow on them. That’s unprofessional, uncalled for, and just simply not acceptable.”

 

Areum’s eyes widened. Who could be talking to her mentor like that? He sounded rude, as if he was scolding Dr. Song. She really wanted to bust in there and confront the bully-like person (most likely another doctor, maybe even Dr. Song’s mentor) but she knew better than that.

 

“Father-”

 

“No, Kevin.” The male, apparently Dr. Song’s dad, said strictly. “As the owner, and founder, of this hospital I want you to do what is right. I know the family is paying for all the fees, but there is nothing else we can do.”

 

Areum put a hand over in order to keep a gasp from escaping her lips. It was clear what they were talking about now.

 

“I- Father,” Dr. Song stuttered, struggling to find the words he wanted to say. The female nurse could catch a glimpse of him through the open crack of the door. He looked so lost.

 

“Listen, Kevin,” the elder interrupted the latter one once again. “The only thing that he’s doing is building false hope for his family, making them continue to waste their money and tears. As  doctors our jobs are to ensure the life of our patients, but this one right here,” he paused for a bit. “He’s a lost case. It’s been five years, Kevin, five.”

 

The girl could see her mentor slump down in his spot like a stick stuck in the mud.

 

“Do what’s right and stop his family from hurting any longer. Stop elongating their pain and tears. Unplug him.”

 

Areum immediately dropped her clipboard, causing the two males to stop their conversation. She stood still as Dr. Song walked to the door, opening it to reveal a shocked nurse.

 

“A-Areum,” her mentor called.

 

The said girl simply looked past him, glancing at the other male in the room. He had gray hairs covering his entire head, yet his eyebrows remained pitch black. He looked pretty unapproachable, but she walked over towards him nonetheless.

 

“How dare you call yourself a doctor?” She asked, almost yelling. “How dare you say that as a doctor your duty is to ensure the life of your patients, yet… here you are telling another fellow doctor, your son as a matter of fact, to unplug someone… How dare you?”

 

“Excuse me, but who are you?” The elder male asked, taken aback. “What gives you the right to talk to me like that? Do you know who I am?”

 

She paced herself, trying really hard not to cry in front of her superiors.

 

“A-Areum!” Dr. Song called the said girl’s name again, but this time a little more stern.

 

The elder male looked over at his son, then back at Areum.

 

“So, Areum, is it?”

 

“Mm,” the said girl nodded her head. “I’m Areum and I know exactly who you are.”

 

“Good, good, so-”

 

“You’re a hypocrite!” She countered, causing both men’s eyes to widen in shock. “You’re the founder of this hospital, claiming to treasure every patient and wanting nothing else but their wellness… but…” she took a small breath, pacing herself once again. “But you want to unplug a patient? How do you even call yourself a doctor?”  

 

Dr. Song ran towards Areum’s side, placing a hand on her shoulder and eyeing her to stop talking; to get out and leave immediately.

 

“Oh, sweetie,” the old man said, unphased by what the younger female had told him. “You don’t know one thing about this business, do you? I mean, you’re just a nurse.”

 

“Just a nurse?” Areum scoffed. “Well at least I know and care for my patients! I don’t even know how you can decide to cut someone’s life off. Yoongi will get better… Yoongi will live on.”

 


 

    Not knowing whether hours, days, or weeks went by Yoongi lay on the sand as he stared up at the pale blue sky. He had remained that way ever since his last encounter with Namjoon and that foggy figure.

 

He continued to lay there when he heard some slurred voices. They were talking about something that he couldn’t quite get ahold of, that is, until he heard those familiar words once again.

 

“It’s been five years, Kevin, five.”

 

“Huh?” He rapidly shot up. “Five years? Five years of what? And who is Kevin?”

 

The voices soon silenced down, followed by pure bliss ocean waves crashing on the sand floors. And he was alone once again for who knows how long again; yet not before hearing that soothing voice, one he recalled, again.

 

“Yoongi will get better… Yoongi will live on.”

 

Cocking his head in every direction, searching for the owner of the voice Yoongi grew frustrated. He stood up, walking in no particular direction. He continued to walk until he came upon a dark blue object near the seashore.

 

“What is this?” He asked himself aloud, walking towards the mysterious object.

 

Once he got close, however, he recognized what it was. It was a dark, small, blue boat. Alongside it there was a life jacket and two paddles. He slowly kneeled down, picking up the paddle and life jacket, tossing it on in an instant. There was something in his heart telling him to set sail--to leave the lonely place he’s been inhabiting; to leave the wilderness that had driven him wild.

 

And so, he did.


 


 

    After much arguing, disappointment, and astonishment, Areum got everything out of her system. However, with everything there comes a consequence. Sadly, for her, it was losing her job. She sort of expected it, though, because she had talked back to a major superior aka the founder of her workplace.

 

“There’s no use for stupid and disrespectful employees like you at this place,” the elder man, Dr. Song’s father, said. “You’re fired.”

 

Areum quickly regretted everything that had just happened.

 

“What?” She asked, shocked. “Please, no. You can’t do that! You can’t fire me!”

 

“Pft,” the male scoffed. “I’d be a fool to keep someone like you employed. You know too much and just… I really don’t like you.”

 

“But father!” Dr. Song cut in. “You can’t do that. She’s been working here for a long time and is recently on the list to take the nurse exam to promote her to an even higher position.”

 

Areum stood still.

 

“Whose side are you on, Kevin?” The elder male asked. “I’ve already said what I had to say and that’s final. And about this fellow right here… Go ahead and schedule a meeting with his family. I will personally tell them what shall be done and expected.”

 

And with those final words the male walked out of the room, not even sparing Yoongi, Areum, or his son one last glance.

 

“Areum…” Dr. Song called, “I’m really, deeply, sorry. You’ve been with me since the beginning and all my patients love you and-”

 

The girl shook her head.

Please log in to read the full chapter