Summer 2011 - Spring 2016

Chair, Chopstick, Tissue
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Summer 2011

 

“Unnie, let’s go to the Han River.” Yeri told me as both of us practically collapsed on the floor, after having six hours of dance practice nonstop. I looked at her as I raised my eyebrows, trying to say ‘what the hell?’ with my face. We’ve been practicing for six hours and now she wants to go to the Han River?

“Come on, let’s go eat some ramyun!” She whined after she got my disapprove signal. I was about to ignore her until I proceed that she wants to eat ramyun. Ramyun. Me, Kang Seulgi, I love to eat anything and ramyun is not an exception. It’s never an exception. Without saying a word, I got up from the floor and grabbed Yeri’s tiny hand. She was 12, I was 17, both of us were still trainees at that time but we were not afraid to go outside after the sun sets. We’ll do anything for food.

I carefully carried my aluminum foil bowl which already filled with ramyun and hot water to a table outside the convenience store. “Yeri, wait for me. I’ll bring your bowl.” I told Yeri because the last time she tried to bring her own ramyun bowl, she accidently tripped over something and her ramyun fell all over the place.

As Yeri went to the toilet, I stared blankly at the river. It’s so calming and beautiful. I was lost into my daydreaming, planning on what I’m going to do tomorrow. I was literary lost in my own thoughts, but then somebody tapped my shoulder. “Hey, is somebody using this chair?” It turned out to be a guy. “My friend uses it, but we’re about to get going soon. You can take it.” I replied. He said thank you and quickly pulled out the chair to his table. Yeri always takes a long time when she goes to a bathroom, so I decided to plugged in my earphones and listen to songs that I might use for tomorrow’s dance practice.

The second tap. “Excuse me, do you have an extra chopstick? I accidently dropped mine.” He said politely. I happened to always take an extra chopstick every time I eat, because who knows I might need another one? That night I didn’t use that chopstick so I gave it to him. Another thanks and I went back listening to some music. The third tap. I started to get annoyed by it. “Um…do you have any tissues?” Not to be rude, I looked on my bag and hand him a bunch of tissues. Before he even had a chance to say thanks, Yeri came out of the convenient store.

 

Fall 2011

 

“Are you sure you wanna go and eat ramyun in this very cold weather? It’s 5 degree outside.” I asked Yeri once again before we set-off. “Oh come on, unnie, we’ve promised them! It’s been awhile since we hung out together.” “But it’s so cold.” I protested. “We can eat inside the convenient store.” She threw an idea and I agreed with that. Besides, I wanna see them, too.

As Yeri and I arrived at Han River, they were already waiting for us outside the convenient store. The younger guy, Bambam, excitedly waved at us while the older guy, Jaebum, practically hide his face with a scarf around his neck. I suddenly remembered how we met for the first time that night; he asked me for chair, chopstick, and tissue in which quite annoyed me. Yeri, who went to the toilet that night, took longer than usual and she told me the reason why—she became friends with this guy named Bambam who is her oppa by two years. Yeri and Bambam, both being the social butterflies became close really fast so it’s been a habit for them (plus Jaebum and I) to hang out together while eating ramyun in Han river. The four of us practically became friends.

“So, did you pass the audition?” I asked Jaebum as he slurped down his ramyun. The younger ones decided to take a walk somewhere—left us two in our usual table. “Yup.” He murmured while gulping down the soup. Jaebum told me that he was auditioning for a drama, a sequel from Dream High, called Dream High 2. “Why do you sound normal? Aren’t you excited?” It felt like I was more excited than him. Well, I was happy for him! “Because I knew I’ll get the role.” Jerk will be jerk forever.

 

Winter 2011

 

Jaebum asked me to come to the Han River. Not to eat ramyun, but only to take a walk. I refused at first, since it was freaking cold outside—to the point I might be frozen once I step out of the front door of my dorm. But as always, he managed to convince me to meet him.

“Oh it’s snowing!” I said excitedly when a snow flake fell into my beanie. “Look, it’s really snowing!” I told Jaebum once again, because I, Kang Seulgi, always get excited when it’s snowing. But Jaebum seemed to drown in his own thoughts. Seeing his face, I stopped talking about the snow.

He confessed to me. They said it’s a great thing to confess during a snowfall and he really did that. “But, how about your drama?” I waited for his answer. It’s not that I did not like him, but he had a project coming soon and he’s been working hard for years to get it. I don’t want him to throw his dreams away because of me.

 

Spring 2012

“Unnie, you sure you don’t wanna see Jaebum oppa’s drama?” Yeri asked me as she switched channels on TV. Truthfully, I’m dying to see his acting skill, but I just couldn’t watch his drama. I couldn’t stand seeing him act with other girls. I might sound selfish—but I just couldn’t help myself.

‘How’s my acting skill?’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter