Squaking

Destined for the Silver

"Good morning!" I chirped as I skipped into school, quietly singing my favorite song at the moment, "Run" by Bangtan Boys. Dasi run, run, run, the lyrics kind of described me in a way, trying really hard to preserve my love for singing and dancing, but my hard work would only take me that far, even then, someone else would steal the limelight when they probably didn't even put in half of the effort I did. 

"Stop trying so hard to get all of our teachers' attention by being a teacher's pet and squaking all the time." a voice behind me snickered. "You have no talent in either flattering people, or singing, so stop trying so hard all the time. It must be tiring." I turned around to face Krystal Jung, Queen of Manipulation. 

Expected, I thought. Krystal was almost as perfect as perfect got: pretty, popular, talented in singing, dancing, and acting, smart (she acheived a 5.83 GPA!), and very fakely sweet. But she was like the devil inside her head: gossiping, spreading rumors in order to get the top, humiliating anyone who tried to be her competition, and especially picked on me. 

"Well, I'm sorry, but I think that it's unnecessary to be that concerned about me and my singing, or what you define as 'squaking'. Is my personal business that important to you?" I asked sarcastically. She rolled her eyes in response, checking her nails.

"Now, excuse me Ms. Jung, I need to get to class." I sighed, walking past her. Class actually didn't start for another 10 minutes, but I needed an excuse to hide.

As I tried to pass the time sorting out my schedule at my locker, I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Hey Tammie, what's up?" a voice asked.

I spun around, facing Leo, my ex-best friend, who happened to be Krystal's sister. Although Krystal and I weren't close, Leo and I were still friends. But, we didn't talk much one summer and he got himself a girlfriend then, spacing out our relationship. That was, until 3 weeks ago, when they broke up.

"Hey Leo," I squeaked, flashing a smile I knew was fake. "How's it going?"

"Fine," he replied. "You?"

"Okay, I guess..." I sighed, looking down at my shoes.

"Krystal screwed up your day, huh?" Leo asked.

"Well, not really," I replied. "But to be honest, her words hurt a lot sometimes."

"It's okay," Leo reassured. "It'll be okay in the end, Krystal has been like that for a long time. I'm sorry to leave you here, but class starts soon. See you later!"

"See you...later." I responded, my voice trailing off as he ran away. I carefully grabbed my textbook with one hand, tossed in my lunch with the other, and walked to class.

When I opened the door to the classroom, people were surrounding Krystal (as always) and talking to her about how well she sounded with her latest music cover video that she posted on her YouTube channel, KrystaltheAngelic, which acheived an more than 200,000 views in 3 days.

"Why thanks you guys," Krystal said, looking at me with a smirk on her face. "But this morning, I heard Tammie squaking some stupid Korean Pop song. I mean, eww, like..."

"Stop Krystal," I interupted boldly. "Do you think that it's funny to make fun of other people's music choices? Even if your screechy Justin Bieber cover got 200,000 views, no, even if it got 1 billion views, critisizing other people's opinion is still rude. Do those 200,000 people actually like your screechy singing? Or do they watch it because they can't find the original song? How can you just conclude that you're so popular when you can't even sing yourself, receiving solos because your dad pays for them?"

"Oh really?" Krystal scoffed. "You think so?" People around her giggled.

"Oh yeah, really." I retorted. Everyone in class laughed.

"Okay then," Krystal laughed, not being able to hold it in anymore. "Why, Tammie, if you think that you are so much better that I am, then why don't you prove it by recording a music cover with that exact song you sang this morning. If it can exceed my 200,000+ amount of views in exactly 72 hours after posting it, then maybe I'll say that we're about equal, and I'll leave you and everyone else alone. But if it doesn't, or it does go viral because of your talented squaking, get ready to get taken down."

"Sure, why not?" I asserted. "Get reaady to learn some manners."

"Oh you should be on your toes Tammie," Krystal smirked. "Because a lot will be headed in your way."

Challenge accepted Krystal, challenge accepted.


 

Hi, this is my first chapter! How do you like it so far (COMMENT BELOW PLEASE!)? Sorry it took so long, but I'm afraid this might occur often, since I spent a lot of time editing it and trying to make it the best EVER! Anyways, thank you so much, and please subscribe!