Chapter 1: An Introduction to the Cause of Zitao's Stress (Junmyeon)

Trial & Error

Zitao likes to think of life like trial and error: you try, you fail, you try something else, and keep going until you succeed. Which seems quite ironic as she's currently on her way to what must be her 100th detention (she can't really remember - she stopped counting past 10) for sassing another teacher. She decided she no longer cared about getting detentions long ago, anyway, she tells herself as she opens the door to Mr. Radford's room aka The Pits of Hell Where Those Condemned to Detention Were to Spend the Rest of Their Days. 

She nearly stops in her tracks when she notices only one other person in the room besides herself - which wasn't unusual (sometimes Zitao has to sit there by herself which is excruciatingly boring) but it's none other than Jongin Kim, one of the most well-behaved students to ever grace the halls of St. Helen's Boarding School of Musical Arts, sitting neatly in the corner of the room as still as a doll.

Zitao wonders why someone who seemed to care a great deal about reputation would be in detention, and she figures maybe Jongin had enough of being perfect for once and purposefully got herself in trouble. It wouldn't be the first time Zitao's seen someone do that. 

She takes a seat close to Jongin, close enough to be able to converse with her but not close enough as to seem creepy - after all, they barely know each other despite being in the same classes, for one. 

Jongin is a quiet girl who never speaks in class unless asked to and gets high grades. Not as high as Junmyeon's grades though. Ah, Junmyeon, the love of Zitao's life. She's a petite girl with glowing porcelain skin and lips the shade of blossom petals. Junmyeon is kind, sweet, quiet and adorable - she can do no wrong in Zitao's eyes. Her voice is the most beautiful thing Zitao has ever heard and the way she plays the cello is absolutely breath-taking. She also has no idea Zitao exists. 

It really . Zitao has had this crush for a few months now, after seeing Junmyeon's performance of 'A Thousand Years' by Christina Perri along side Baekhyun, another girl in their year. She'd fallen instantly and has since been stuck where she fell. Even thinking about how angelic Junmyeon's voice sounds now sends goosebumps over her skin. Overall, Junmyeon Kim is perfect. 

She also seems to have the hots for Jongdae, Zitao's friend. That also . Big time. 

Yifan is a close friend of both Zitao and Junmyeon and also one of the two people that know about Zitao's little crush. She's the one who told Zitao that Junmyeon's developed a liking towards Jongdae, much to Zitao's dismay. 

Something then clicks in Zitao's brain as she glances over to Jongin sitting patiently at her desk and staring stubbornly at the chalk board. Jongin Kim, who happens to be the (non identical) twin sister of Jongdae Kim. That could work in Zitao's favour. 

But, she needs go about things the right way. 

"What're you here for?" She decides on, asking as casually as she can while resting her cheek in the palm of her hand as her elbow rests on the desk. 

Jongin jumps a little at the sudden sound and Zitao can't help the small smile the flashes onto her face as she looks at the tan girl who is now looking at her hesitantly. 

"...I, uh, defended a student when the teacher was treating them unfairly." The younger mumbles her reply, and Zitao fights the urge to scoff because of course Jongin would be in detention for being kind. 

Not like her brother, who Zitao also met in detention. Jongdae thought it was a good idea to pour baby powder in the brass section's instruments before a performance - it was pretty funny when it happened, if Zitao's being honest - and Zitao thought it was a good idea to knock someone out as a form of self defence. The guy had started the fight, not her. She was merely stopping him from harming her by harming him. 

After meeting that fateful day, the two became fast friends - although they weren't entirely close; Jongdae was closer to Chanyeol and Zitao was closer to Lu Han, but they were close enough. 

Since then, Zitao hasn't physically hurt someone even in defence and Jongdae has realised pranks that were more subtle could have just as good results. Though, the chicken that was set loose in the girls' dorms last weekend proves that something really don't ever change (Zitao knows it was him that did it because it's totally a Jongdae thing to do). 

"Oh..." Zitao says, racking her brain for ideas on how to lead up to Jongdae and Junmyeon. 

Jongin looks away and Zitao decides  it. 

"How do you feel about Jongdae dating?" Tense. Zitao swears she saw Jongin's shoulders tense but it was gone as quickly as it came. 

"Don't mind it." She grits out, staring intently at the chalk board. This school needs to invest in better technology, Zitao mentally notes. 

"Hmm," Zitao starts, fighting back the smirk she feels crawling onto her lips. "Junmyeon and Jongdae seem to be getting pretty close recently," Her tone is casual, matter-of-fact and it sounds light even though her stomach twists painfully at the thought of her Junmyeon in Jongdae's arms. 

Jongin's eye twitches and Zitao takes the opportunity to continue, to push and see how far she can take this. 

"I don't really like seeing them together that much though..." She trails off, glancing over to catch Jongin's reaction. Said girl perks up at this information and Zitao mentally fist bumps herself. "I wanna break them up, if I'm honest. I need someone really close to Jongdae to do that though." Her eyes fall onto Jongin's which light up in realisation. 

The younger of the two sits with open slight in shock for a while and then she nods slightly.

"What?" Zitao asks, even though she's fairly certain she knows exactly what, but she wants to make sure. 

"I'll help you break them up." Is all Jongin says, trying to keep her voice and nonchalant as possible. They agree to meet at lunch a few days from now by the blossom tree. Zitao tries not to act too giddy at the thought of finally getting a step closer to wooing her Junmyeon.


 

It's the next morning and Zitao wakes up to a notice that there's an assembly at the main hall at 8:00am. Which is also, like, 10 minutes from now so Zitao practically jumps out of her bed to skid over to her wardrobe. Five minutes later and she's in her uniform (a very uncomfortable shirt, tie, blazer and skirt) rushing down the hallways. Her jaw length blonde hair has been quickly brushed through and therefore has a slightly messy quality Zitao decides she kind of likes. 

Eventually she makes it to the outside of the assembly hall, sees Jongdae standing outside, and waves at him when he finally notices her too. He beckons her over and she picks up into a slight jog to sit next to her friend since she knows Luhan will be late, consequently Minseok will be late too, and Zitao doesn't really want to sit next to a stranger. 

Well, she would be sitting next to Jongdae if Junmyeon didn't step in front of Zitao. The Chinese girl's first instinct is to tell Junmyeon off, but it's Junmyeon so she scratches that idea off. Now she's unsure if she's upset she's not sat next to Jongdae or freaking out because now she'll be sat next to Junmyeon. She freaks out about Junmyeon. 

Sorry Jongdae, but you're just a friend and Junmyeon is perfect and-

Zitao cut herself off before she thinks too much about the girl sat next to her and ends up squealing in the middle of the assembly. That is definitely not a good idea. However, she still steals quick glances at the girl sat beside her throughout the assembly because she's never been so close to Junmyeon before. 

She's even more breath-taking like this; her shoulder-length brown locks look like silk that Zitao wants to bury her face in and her eyes practically sparkle as she pays her full attention to their head mistress talking. Always behaving like the angel she is, Zitao thinks fondly. 

"This year, there will be an international competition between schools from across the globe and ours has been selected as a candidate." Mrs. Boardman announces, her voice loudly echoing in every corner of the school's huge main hall. 

It's where all of the main productions happen - plays with intricate and expensive sets (which Zitao thinks is completely unnecessary, but it's not her money so she won't complain.), music performances that are open to the public. Those always rake in quite a lot of money - especially EXO, Jongdae's band. 

Zhang Yixing is on the lead guitar, he's sweet and incredibly cute for someone who can play heavy metal on an electric guitar like a boss (and also look the part). Chanyeol plays the drums and Zitao thinks the role suits him since he's almost as loud as the drums themselves, but he's very kind and just generally nice to be around. Yifan is on bass guitar and Jongdae is the vocals - and according to himself, the face of the group which usually ends with Yifan poking him in the ribs (he's sensitive there so a mere brush would have him crumbling to the floor). 

They're popular because of how diverse they are: every time they perform it's something new, no one in the crowd knows what to expect (although some do, like Zitao for example, because they're close with the members) - sometimes it's something with rock elements, indie, pop, alternative pop, punk pop, and even some ballads. 

Of course they don't hold a candle to Junmyeon. Her pretty fingers expertly handled the cello and the sounds she'd produced were absolutely mesmerising. Zitao thinks that if she died right now, she wouldn't even care because at least she got to hear Junmyeon play the cello before she did so. 

"It starts of with an in-school competition, whose winners will go on to compete in a national competition." Mrs. Boardman continues, pacing up and down in front of the sea of students, her heels clacking annoyingly on the hard floor. 

Junmyeon's wearing make-up today. It's not terribly noticeable but Zitao can see her lips look unnaturally glossy and her eyebrows are more filled out than normal. Zitao thinks she looks wonderful but feels a pang in her chest when she remembers that make-up is likely on for Jongdae. 

"The winners of the national competition will go on to represent their country in the final stage against countries from everywhere in the world!" The clacking stops and is replaced by a wave of murmurs that sound incredibly loud in a room full of at least 1,000 pupils. 

"Are you gonna enter the competition, Dae?" 

Dae?! Since when were they close enough for her to call him Dae? God, next she'll be calling him 'oppa'. Zitao tries not to scream outwardly. 

It's just jealousy. Zitao can admit that. She can admit it and she really hopes she can control it as well as she thinks she can. 

Jongdae makes a sound of contemplation before replying smoothly with 'I'll probably enter with the band.'

Zitao inwardly sighs in relief. She knows that EXO take their group seriously; so Jongdae will be spending a lot of time practising and not stealing Junmyeon from her. Perfect. 

"Ah, you guys are so cool!" Junmyeon sighs dreamily and Zitao stubbornly protests that thought in her mind. She's way cooler than Dae's stupid band. Way cooler. Jongdae then politely asks if Junmyeon will enter, to which she replies with a quiet 'I don't think I can, what with all of those people there...'

Zitao doesn't think she herself can either. As in she doesn't think she can deal with Junmyeon acting so adorably shy right next to her. It takes all of her strength not to cup the girl's cheeks and coo. Zitao's daydream is interrupted by a quiet laugh from Jongdae.

"Don't be ridiculous - you're amazing at cello, you have nothing to be afraid of!" And , Jongdae smiles right at Junmyeon who Zitao then sees from the corner of her eye blush. Sweet Jesus, she actually blushes and if Zitao weren't so wrapped up in trying not to send death glares at Jongdae she'd probably be a puddle on the floor right now. 

It was then that Zitao brought her full attention to the assembly in case she sees or hears something she doesn't want to. 

She can't be discouraged yet. Not without trying.