Christmas bells are ringing

Christmas bells are ringing

15 years ago:

It's the festive winter season. Snow is falling from the sky, kids running out of their houses, trying to catch snowflackes on their tounges, laughing as the snow tickles their noses instead. They twirl around and fall to the ground, making small snow angels and having playful snowball fights, giggling all the way through their antics. Parents look on with smiles on their faces, happy to see their children being joyous.

A little girl, about 6 years old, bounced out of the front door of her yellow house. "Mommy, mommy! It's snoooowing!" She shouted over her shoulder, back towards the still open door where her mother stood shivering, shouting at her daughter to come back in and put on her jacket before playing in the snow.

Ignoring her mother, the little girl, with brown hair tied up in a side ponytail and with a big curved smile on her face, dived into the snow. Sneezing when snow went up her nose and into from laughing too much.

Her mother rushed out and picked the still laughing girl up, bring her into the brigtly lit, festive, yellow house to get her daughter dry and warm again.

 

---


Beside the yellow house stands a green house. The house can barely be seen in the dark, as no christmas lights are displayed on the outside of it. Inside the green house stands another 6 year old little girl by a window, looking out toward the lawn of the house next door that the enchanting little ball of sunhine was playing on.

The quiet little girl with black hair and eyes you could drown in frowned upon seeing how happy the girl outside was to play in the snow. Then she frowned even more at the feeling of her heart swelling as she watched the girl throw herself into the snow with the biggest and heartwarming smile she has ever seen in her short life. The quiet girl slowly felt the frown on her face disappear as it was replaced with a smile that didn't go away until the girl outside was picked up and brought in by what she assumed to be the girl's mother.

"Sunyoung-ah, don't just stand there. Come and help your brother and I unpack the last of these boxes!" Her own mother told her from the doorway of the living room. Her mother, herself and older brother moved into this house only yesterday. Something little Sunyoung was not happy about as she had to leave all her friends. But suddenly, seeing the smile on her new neighboars face, she felt that maybe she wouldn't miss her friends as much as she first thought.

13 years ago:

Snow is whirling outside, a small storm is beginning to form on the day before christmas.
Two years have passed since Sunyoung moved into the green house with her mom and big brother Minho. She's 8 years old now and they've settled in nicely and none of them miss their hometown anymore.

For Sunyoung, these feelings probably come from having befriended the bubby little girl next door, who's name is Lee Soonkyu. The day after Sunyoung moved into the green house, there was a knock on the door. The family from the yellow house were visiting to welcome her family to the neighborhood with freshly baked cinamonbuns.

Their family became close right away, tied together by the almost soul tying friendship between the two youngest of the respective families.

Right now they are all sitting in the Lee's house, speaking of the storm happening outside. Minho, who is 12 at this time, is ignoring his little sister and Soonkyu who can't seem to stop giggling over something. He rolls his eyes and whines to his mother that they're so immature. His mother tells him to leave it alone and be glad his sister is happy.

He takes in her words as he watches his little sister and her self declered soulmate rolling past him, wrestling over a stuffed animal.

9 years ago:

Another winter has come and Sunyoung and Soonkyu have known eachother for exactly 6 years now and they're only becoming closer and closer to eachother as they grow up together.

Winter break just started and they are riding the bus home from school. They're sitting at the back of a surprisingly empty bus, besides them there's only a handful of other people plus the busdriver.

This semester was rough on Soonkyu. She kept getting teased for her height, or rather lack thereof, as well as her name. The other kids, especially the boys, started picking on her, making the always smiling girl frown a great deal more than Sunyoung ever wanted to witness.

Sunyoung tried looking out for Soonkyu best she could, scaring the mean kids away, her usually quiet voice booming through the room when someone dared being cruel to her best friend. One time she even skipped class to make sure the other girl was safe during her free period. Despite getting scolded by her mom and even Minho, it was worth it 'cause during that hour she saw Soonkyu being more relaxed than what she had been during school days since the teasing started not long after the school year did.

The two sit in silence until Soonkyu speaks up. "I want to change my name." This statment startles Sunyoung. She looks at Soonkyu and sees the seriousness on the girl's face. Sunyoung nods. "Okay. But if you're changing yours, I'm changing mine too." Now it's Soonkyu who's startled, looking at the other girl with wide eyes before smiling softly at her only true friend.

When they got off the bus, they made their way to the already decorated yellow house. More often than going to Sunyoung's house, they usually went to Soonkyu's after school to play and talk privetly. Soonkyu's father, who is a stay at home dad, always greets them joyously with snacks prepered for the still growing children. No one's sure if Soonkyu still is growing, but none dare voicing these thoughts in front of the child.

They greet Mr. Lee, grabbing their usual bowl of fruit and glass of juice before making their way towards the living room, sitting down on the floor. They enjoy the fresh fruit and start pondering over new names that would fit them.

The next day, on the afternoon, Sunyoung rushes over to the familiar house next door and knock on the door. Soonkyu opens the door quickly, having expected the other girl as she called her just a few minutes ago, telling her to come over. They've both settled on their new names and are gonna reviel it to eachother before they go tell their respective families.

Still standing on either side of the front door threshold they count to three. "1... 2... 3!" They count together before shouting "Hyomin!" "Sunny!" in eachothers face. They pause and grin at eachother. "Seal it with a kiss?" They ask at the same time before leaning forward, giving the other a quick kiss on the others cheek. 

This have become a tradition for them whenever they agree on something. They reason that this is acceptable according to the two, is because they claim they're soulmates and are gonna be married to the other someday. When they first told their respective parents this, at the tender age of 9, everyone shook their heads smiling, believing the girls would grow out of this idea. But as years pass, the girls' bond only grew stronger and the adults could no longer deny that they might well be made for eachother.

After they sealed the decision no more needed to be said and from that day on, Sunyoung was now Hyomin and Soonkyu Sunny, a name fitting to her gleeful personality.

5 years ago:

Hyomin and Minho are out for a walk when it starts snowing. It's the first snow, it's late this year. Despite being 16 now, Hyomin still smiles seeing snow, remembering back to the first time she saw a little girl smile in utter and bursting happiness as she dove into a snow pile.

Minho looks at his sister and smiles too, knowing fully well who she's thinking of. Sunny and Hyomin haven't seen eachother for the whole day because Hyomin wanted to spend time with her big brother who came back to town after two weeks of having been on his honeymoon. This meant skipping school, but for the second time in her life, she felt it was perfectly worth it. This time Minho didn't scold her either, because he was excited to see his sister, despite how much she annoys him at times, she's still his baby sister that he loves.

They spot Hyomin's school ahead and even from outside, they can hear the final bell of the day sound and decide to wait for Sunny to walk home together.
Hyomin spots Sunny walking across the school yard towards the gate and is about to call the girl to get her attention, when she sees something she didn't expect. A tall burly guy jogged up behind Sunny and caught her attention. Sunny stopped, thought she didn't look quite happy to be disturbed on her quest to get home. The guy, whom Hyomin doesn't recognize but assumes is familiar with her Sunny, doesn't seem to realize he's annoying the girl he's talking to. He looks nervous and looks down and up over and over again while talking.

He stops talking and looks at Sunny nervously, probably waiting for an answer to whatever he was talking to her about. Sunny's face has softened to a less annoyed expression once he stopped talking.

She puts a hand on his arm before uttering what looks like "I'm sorry." Before bowing and walking away. Continuing towards the gate she spots Hyomin and Minho, the smile they're used to seeing on her face shines through. None of them ask about what just happened with the now very sad looking guy, and just respond with a smile of their own.

Sunny hugs them both, Hyomin a little longer, and then they make their way home to their colorful houses. 

Present day:

Sunny and Hyomin are now adults, 21 years of age to be exact. They no longer live at home, but they now live together. They live on the same street as their parents do, because eventhough they strive for freedom, they just can't bare to be too far away from the people that raised them into who they are today. These people who have watched them grow up and grow into one person in two bodies.

By now both girls, excuse me, women have long since realized their feelings for eachother, feelings that they've been harboring since god knows when. Despite this, neither of them have made a move to cross the line from friendship to lovers, only tiptoe-ing along the edge, scared that they'll fall down if they step over the edge and tumble down to a life of misery and endless crying.

They've been living in this house together for a year now. They moved in during winter break and it's now winter break again, they've agreed to that if they have any say in it, the major changes in their lives will happen during the last month of the year, as a symbol of when they walked into eachothers lives.

The house is white. This is because, even after a year, they haven't been able to settle on a color to paint it. Just as how Sunny is used to, they're decorating the house for Christmas. They devided the work into two and after two hours Hyomin was finally done. She called to Sunny from across the house, telling her she finished her part and asking if she can help with anything. A response from Sunny comes muffled and Hyomin decides to walk over to the other woman to ask what she said.

She finds Sunny on a stool, tying a mistletoe to the doorframe of the now brightly lit living room. "I'm almost finished, just go...nn...a... and I'm done!" She cheers having succesfully tied up the plant and hopped off the stool down on the floor. She puts away the stool in the corner of the room and then walks back to Hyomin who's still standing in the doorway, looking up at the mistletoe in wonder.

"That's a mistletoe, Hyomin ah." She say to the other woman in a teasing tone, looking at her dumbfonded expression.

"I know what a mistletoe looks like, thank you very much! You know, a mistletoe can be deadly if you eat it." She doesn't know why she said this, but having Sunny so close while they're standing under a very symbolic plant is making her nervous and that was all she could think to say in this sitiuation. Looking down, Hyomin ponders walking away 'cause this is one of the very few times it's been awkward between the two friends.

There's a pause from Sunny before she puts her fingers under Hyomin's chin, hindering the woman from walking away as well as tilting her head up to look into Sunny's eyes.

Sunny opens , makes sure Hyomin is truly paying attention, and says "A kiss can be even deadlier if you don't mean it..." It comes out a whisper but the emotions that explode behind Hyomin's eyes speak loud and clear.

Sunny drags Hyomin's head down towards her own by the use of her fingers still positioned under the other womans chin. Before their lips touch, Sunny makes sure their eyes are locked as she whispers once again "So if you don't, I'd rather you walk away now 'cause if you'd be to walk out on this after, it might just kill me."

Hyomin's eyes, as round and dark as always, shines with understanding as she gives of a soft smile at the woman she might very well have loved for 15 years, since they were little children and shared a glass of milk accompied with a plate of cinnamon buns between them as their heart strings tied together, making it imposible to be away from the other for more than a day.

"I'll never walk away from you. If I tried, I'd be afraid my heart would be ripped out of my body, because it couldn't be seperated from yours.

They gleemed at eachother as they leaned in to seal their new relationship with a kiss.