1/1

My Little Prince

Jungkook is a little nervous for his very first day in school. Even as a toddler, he knew the fact that he was different from the other kids because he couldn't speak. He hasn't any friends; refused to go out ever since he was made fun of in the playground by a few older kids for being mute, and his parents truly felt sorry so they didn't force him to do so since then.

He musters up the biggest pout at his parents when they tell him they'll be leaving him already, mainly to show them that he'll sulk for the rest of the day for 'betraying' him and partially to somehow - hopefully, make them take him back home. They just chuckle fondly at him, probably relieved to see he wasn't crying, before giving him kisses on his cheeks and finally heading back outside.

The teacher grins and holds his little hand before guiding him to the small classroom, gesturing him to take a seat near the teacher's table. Jungkook obeys and sits down quietly, swinging his little feet beneath the chair and looking around inside curiously.

"Teacher will be right back, okay?" Jungkook nods at the teacher like a good boy, and he's out of the room in a matter of seconds.

There weren't so much kids yet, but it was plenty lively. A group of boys were playing around like they've known each other so well already and Jungkook unconsciously pouts at the sight, feeling a bit jealous. He continues to scan through the room and sees the girls playing with dolls together, and then he spots a pale boy seated down near the door, looking quite uninterested and sleepy as he rests his chin atop his desk.

Jungkook tilts his head and stares at him curiously, wondering why he wasn't playing around with the others. He then notices how the pale boy looked a bit intimidating, eyes like a cat's and face blank in default. The boy turns his head to Jungkook's direction, keeping his chin pressed onto his desk as he blinks at him, and Jungkook quickly looks away flusteredly. He fiddles with the hem of his shirt awkwardly as he sees the boy still looking at him from the corner of his eye before lowering his head down shyly.

"Hi!"

Jungkook jumps a little in surprise and turns to look beside him, seeing a boy waving at him cheerily with a box-shaped smile. He dumbly blinks at him for a few times.

"Hello! I'm Baekhyun! How old are you? What's your name? I haven't seen you here before! Are you new?" The bouncy boy chirps happily, flailing his arms a little in excitement. Jungkook leans back in his chair nervously, eyes shifting and squirming uncomfortably.

He doesn't know how to answer all of those questions at once.

"Why aren't you answering? Are you okay? Do you not want to be my friend?" Baekhyun pouts, and he's already in the verge of tears.

Jungkook panics for a while at the sight and suddenly remembers his back pack, quickly turning around to zip it open and rummaging through it to look for his pencil and notebook. He hastily sets down his notebook on the desk and flails a little when he only sees unsharpened pencils in his bag before flinching in surprise when he hears a loud cry.

"Uwaaa! He- he's ignoring me! T-Taehyungie he doesn't like meee!"

Jungkook stills and looks at the boy in shock, slowly sinking into his chair when everyone in the classroom has their attention on them. A slightly taller toddler runs to Baekhyun worriedly, pulling out a small handkerchief and wiping his tears carefully.

"You didn't have to be so mean to him..." The boy he thinks is 'Taehyungie' pouts at him while hugging a sniffling Baekhyun.

Jungkook swallows down a lump in his throat, looking around for the teacher for help before tearing up and his hands on the ends of his shirt when he doesn't find him.

I wasn't trying to be mean...

"Here."

He sees a sharpened pencil in front of him and perks his head up, seeing the pale boy from earlier handing it to him. He blinks back his tears, mildly surprised, before taking the pencil and starting to scribble down on his notebook. The other kids watch them cluelessly, staying in place as Baekhyun continues to cry quietly in his brother's arms. Soon after, Jungkook lifts up his notebook and shows it to Baekhyun.

I'm Jungkook, I'm four and I want to be your friend.

Baekhyun hiccups as he reads, quieting down eventually before blinking and suddenly going out of Taehyung's arms, holding Jungkook hands suddenly. "Uwa, y-you can write already!" He pauses, wiping his eyes with the back of his hand. "But it says you're only four... You're so smart, Kookie! I'm already six!"

Jungkook blinks. Kookie?

"I'm your hyung!" Baekhyun is smiling brightly again, as if he hadn't been crying just a few seconds ago, and Jungkook quietly sighs out in relief.

He turns to look back at the pale boy before blinking and pouting - just a little bit - when he realizes he's back in his seat.

The pencil is still on his desk, though.

 

Yoongi arrives at school a bit later the next day. And no, it's definitely not because he was petting a little kitty longer than he should have, not at all.

"Where are your parents?"

He doesn't understand why his teacher asks him that same question with that same, pitying look everyday since he started going to this school. He truly doesn't.

"Sleeping." He mumbles, waddling his way to the classroom on his own.

And it's true. Yoongi's parents have always been busy until late at night and he doesn't want to wake them up so early in the morning just to drop him off at school. Yoongi is quite the independent child, always knew the hang of things and woke himself up and dressed and walked to school. For a child, he was pretty mature.

And it's probably what keeps him from gaining friends.

He grips onto the strap of his bag a bit at the thought before stepping inside the classroom and taking his seat. It's only then he realizes that there's something on his desk. He blinks at a baby blue sticky note along with a familiar pencil before blinking in realization and swiftly turning his head to the direction of the new boy's seat.

He catches him watching him, and the boy quickly looks away - just like he did yesterday, only this time his chubby cheeks are a little pink.

Yoongi smiles and looks back at the sticky note as he peels it off his desk, reading the words written in red crayon.

Thank you for helping me yesterday, hyung. -Jungkook

He goes back to staring at the smaller boy, who fidgeted nervously in his seat, before placing the sticky note and pencil in his bag and getting on his feet. He slings his bag on his shoulder and heads over to the chair beside the new kid, earning a surprised look from the latter when he takes his seat there.

"Yoongi." He holds out his hand, and the younger boy blinks down at it cluelessly before reaching over and holding it, lacing his fingers with him innocently as if he was a baby grasping onto a finger.

Yoongi stares and finds himself suddenly laughing for the first time, squeezing the smaller hand gently.

"Wow. You're cute."

Jungkook visibly blushes.

 

A few days after that, Jungkook has become like the new star of the class. Everyone wants to be his friend, and he feels a little flustered everytime because it was something new.

Yoongi, on the other hand, only really wants Jungkook and no one else, and he's pretty annoyed at everyone because he believes that the only reason they like Jungkook is because he's very smart for his age. And cute. And kind.

And so, he keeps Jungkook for himself whenever he can. 

Jungkook is happy.

 

There was a time everyone was asked to draw something for someone they care about along with a letter. Naturally, they decided to make them for their parents (because it's the only example of 'someone you care about' that their teacher gave).

"Children, when you come home you give it to your parents alright?"

"Yes teacher!"

Jungkook placed his drawing for his mommy in his little bag carefully and felt a tap on his shoulder. When he turned to look, he saw Yoongi handing him a small, blue construction paper folded into a card.

"Here, Kookie."

Jungkook blinked in surprise at him, earning a very faint blush before carefully taking the card and opening it curiously. Yoongi simply rested his chin onto his desk - a habit Jungkook has grown to be fond of - and tried to be discreet in watching for a reaction.

On the left side of the card, there was a cute drawing of a flying car that had wings like an angel's. And on the right, Yoongi had written a very, very short letter.

We'll go travel around the world with this car. -Yoongi hyung

When he saw Jungkook smile for the very first time, Yoongi found himself turning his head and staring in a daze. Jungkook stood from his seat, quickly waddled over to Yoongi's chair and hugged the older boy very tightly before smiling even brighter as he looked up at him.

Yoongi thinks he likes Jungkook.

 

The next day, Jungkook had waited for him at the school gates and happily handed him a little key, too small to be an actual key you can use. Yoongi took it and tilted his head.

"What's this for?"

Jungkook then pressed a sticky note on his cheek with a silent giggle (in which his whole week was made), and Yoongi playfully narrowed his eyes before peeling it off carefully and reading it.

That's the key to our car. Keep it safe, okay?❤

"..."

Jungkook blinked and looked at him worriedly, pouting a little at the lack of response. But Yoongi suddenly pulled the smaller boy into his arms, and the smile that he earned from the boy was the brightest thing he's ever seen.

Yoongi thinks he loves Jungkook.