Final

Let's Be Our Own Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Im Jaebum slams the door shut, ignoring the 'what the hell, man?' from a pouty Jackson who thinks he lost his chance with Mark because of his best friend.

"Jackson."

"What?" Jackson asks.

"Remember when you told me that you saw the most beautiful person you've ever seen?" Jaebum says slowly.

"Mark? By the way, I will never forgive you for ruining my chance with him Im Jaebum. No more free lunches, you hear me? I still can't believe you told him all about that! You-"

"I think I saw the most beautiful person I've ever laid my eyes on." Jaebum declares.

"-really should just keep your mou- wait. Hold on. Wait, wait... What did you say?"

~

Im Jaebum's tolerance for stupidity is getting below zero. They have a deadline, okay? Why are people so good at procrastination? His heavy sighs filled the room.

"Jaebum, is something wrong?" Jinyoung asks his friend.

"Nothing." Jaebum snaps and Jinyoung clicks his tongue.

“Don’t you pull an attitude on me, Im Jaebum.” Jinyoung says, crossing his arms.

“I'm just- doesn't anyone do their assigned jobs on time? We only have a week before the deadline and there's not much articles yet here on my table for me to edit!” Jaebum whines and Jinyoung thinks Jaebum is close to crying.

“Calm down, okay? You'll get wrinkles early.” Jinyoung replies. He's really worried about his friend. They knew each other for as long as they can remember. Their houses were right next to each other and although Jaebum looks like the tough one between the two, it's quite the opposite. “How about some rest?”

“Do you think I can rest while worrying about our campus paper?” Jaebum throws at Jinyoung.

“Do you think your work will be good if you've got those tired eyes and cranky self?” Jinyoung fires back. “You look like you're not getting some sleep. Is something bothering you? You know you can tell me anything, Jae.”

Jaebum's eyes widen and his cheeks are now flushed “Nothing’s wrong.”

“Tell that to someone else and hope they'll believe you.” Jinyoung narrows his eyes. Suddenly, the door opens.

“Jinyoung-hyung! These are the past issues that you asked from the library. Mrs. Kim sent me. She's quite busy there because midterms are coming up.” Choi Youngjae chuckles and Jaebum looks in awe.

“Thanks, Youngjae.” Jinyoung smiles back because who wouldn't smile back to Youngjae? Jinyoung turns to Jaebum and arches an eyebrow. “Im Jaebum. Close your mouth.”

“What?” Jaebum says dumbly.

“I said you're drooling. Stop it.” Jinyoung replies and Jaebum sees the mirth in Jebum's eyes. “Oh, Youngjae. This is Im Jaebum. I believe I mentioned him to you before? He's my childhood friend who attached himself to me since the beginning of time. Jaebum, this is Choi Youngjae. He's my friend from the College of Music. I honestly can’t believe I’m just doing this now. It’s probably because Jaebum doesn’t really socialize much.”

“I socialize, Park Jinyoung.” Jaebum defends himself.

“Right. With your laptop and books.” Jinyoung sniggers.

“I think I've met you before, when you were with Mark-hyung. I haven't properly introduced myself. Sorry about that. And sorry for glaring at you. It's nice to properly meet you now.” Youngjae grins and Jaebum feels like he can't breathe.

“Y-you too.” Jaebum replies quickly.

“Can I ask you a favor?” Jinyoung asks Youngjae.

“Yeah, sure.”

“Can you accompany Jaebum outside and walk him back to his dorm room? He's roommates with Jackson. He's not feeling well today. If it's not a bother to you.” Jinyoung pulls his best puppy eyes.

“Of course. Mrs. Kim told me I can go home after dropping by here and I've got no classes left for today anyways.”

Jaebum suddenly had the urge to throw Jinyoung out of the window (and thank him with a hug but as if he would do or even admit that).

~

Jaebum trails behind Youngjae as they walked towards his dorm. Jaebum watched Youngjae flipping through his Astronomy book and humming happily in a tune that's quite familiar. Just then, Youngjae trips and lands flat on his , his bag sliding across the floor and the book came flying on his head.

“Oh my god, are you okay? Wait that was stupid. Here let me help you out.” Jaebum holds his hand out to Youngjae who looks at him through his book like a kicked puppy.

“I'm sorry.” Youngjae whispers as Jaebum hands him his bag.

“It’s alright.” Jaebum smiles. He looks down on his feet and sees the reason behind Youngjae's fall. He kneels down and reaches out to tie Youngjae's shoelaces.

“What are you-oh.” Youngjae stood there frozen as Jaebum fixed his shoelaces.

“There you go. Be careful next time, alright?” Jaebum says as he got up and they started walking again.

“I'm sorry.” Youngjae repeats and his cheeks are already tinted red.

“What are you being sorry for?” Jaebum asks.

“I'm such a clumsy mess. Jinyoung-hyung and Mark-hyung always tells me to be careful but I can't help it.” Youngjae replies sadly.

“I think they're just a bit worried about you.” Jaebum offers to which Youngjae smiled.

“I know but I don't want to worry them always.” Youngjae admits. Jaebum nods in understanding. Just then, Youngjae winces. Jaebum finally sees the wound on Youngjae's left elbow. Jaebum reaches out for his bag and pulled out a colorful band-aid and rubbing alcohol. He pulls Youngjae to the side and carefully cleans Youngjae's wound.

“You weren't supposed to see that.” Youngjae laughs awkwardly and Jaebum narrows his eyes at him.

“Well I should see that. You can't hide your wound and don't clean it or else you'll get it infected.” Jaebum scolds him and Youngjae looks like a kicked puppy once again.

“I'm sorry.”

“Don’t say that again. Accidents happen.” Jaebum says trying to comfort Youngjae who looks like he’s on the verge of crying. “It happens to everyone. Including me.”

“I’m really sor—thanks for patching me up, hyung.” Youngjae says in a cute tiny voice and Jaebum can’t help but chuckle.

“No big deal. How about I walk you to your dorm instead? I hear yours and Mark’s place is just near mine and Jackson’s.”  Jaebum offers.

“But Jinyoung-hyung told me you’re not feeling well so I need to walk you to your place.” Youngjae says.

“I’m not sick, though. He just told you that because he thinks I’m overworking myself.” Jaebum assures him.

“Well, it looks like you’re really tired.” Youngjae observes.

“I’ll admit… I’m kinda tired.” Jaebum chuckles. “It’s midterms and there’s the deadline for the campus paper and the inter-college basketball game is fast approaching. So all in all, I’m really a busy person. That’s why maybe we just properly met each other now.”

“Ohhh, you play in our basketball team? I didn’t know…” Youngjae remarks.

“I’m not that good though.” Jaebum says, embarrassed.

“I bet you’re good.” Youngjae replies with a huge grin. “Tell me more about yourself and I’ll tell mine. I think we need to catch up with each other because this is definitely overdue.”

“Only if you let me walk you to your place?”

“So we go back here again?”

“Yes.”

“Fiiiine.”

~

“Youngjae?” Mark calls out.

“Yes, hyung?” Youngjae replies.

“You’ve been staring into space for the last twenty minutes and you’re tapping your pen on your desk. It’s kinda noisy. Is something bothering you?” Mark asks.

“Nothing.” Youngjae says, quite defensively. He turns away and mindlessly touching his injury earlier.

“Are you sure?” Mark prods because that’s what he always do when it comes to stubborn Youngjae.

“Yes.” Youngjae insists with a frown.

“Okay. If you say so. But just to remind you, I’m here as your friend. If something is bothering you, I’m right here.” Mark tells him and Youngjae sighs.

“Fine.” Youngjae exhales. “I don’t know what’s wrong with me earlier. Like, outside I’m just normal. Talking, laughing, falling down and landing on my -“

“Yup. Sounds just like you.” Mark butts in.

“Hyung.”

“Okay, okay. Go on.”

“But then, inside I feel like something’s wrong? Like my heart is beating so fast? Like I’ve run in a marathon, you know? And then I feel light-headed and my cheeks are feeling warm and sometimes I just freeze on the spot and I don’t know why.” Youngjae finishes.

“Well… what were you doing earlier?” Mark asks.

“Well, I’m at the library after classes earlier since I volunteered as a student assistant there. After sorting out the returned books, Mrs. Kim sent me to give the materials that Jinyoung-hyung asked for before going back here so I did. Then I met Jaebum-hyung. The one whom I saw talking to you when you were upset about Jackson hyung? Then Jinyoung-hyung asked me to accompany Jaebum-hyung to his dorms because he’s not feeling really well but I slipped and embarrassed myself in front of Jaebum-hyung but he patched me up real nice. See this band-aid? It was from him. And then he insisted that he’ll just accompany me here instead of the other way around. We talked about ourselves along the way and I didn’t notice we were already here. I let him inside and we talked some more before he left and that’s just about it.” Youngjae stops and slumps to his bed.

“Youngjae.”

“Yeah?”

“Did you feel a bit disappointed when Jaebum left?” Mark carefully questions.

“A bit, yeah. Why?”

“Nothing.”

~

“Jackson, what do you do when you like someone?” Jaebum asks out of the blue.

“Huh?” Jackson looks up from his laptop and faced Jaebum.

“Instead of hopelessly pining for Mark before.” Jaebum says.

“Shut up. You’re asking help from me and you still had to insult me?” Jackson glares at his friend across the room.

“What do you generally do?” Jaebum asks again.

“Well,” Jackson starts dramatically, putting a hand under his chin. “Usually people compliments them on some way like ‘Hey, you look good today’ or something like ‘Wow, you’re a genius’. Sort of like that. Just easy going stuff. But if they are a bit shy, they give them gifts like flowers and candies.”

“I see.”

“Why are you asking, Jaebum?” Jackson smirks as he loomed in front Jaebum.

“Nothing.”

“You’re so gonna tell me who you’re crushing on. Come on! I told you about Mark!” Jackson pleads with his puppy dog eyes and Jaebum resists the urge to smack him on the face.

“I didn’t ask for you to tell me, though.” Jaebum retaliates.

“Come ooooon. I’m going to poke you until you tell me who. I let your ‘Remember when you told me that you saw the most beautiful person you've ever seen?’ slide before Jaebum. It ain’t gonna happen now!” And true to his word, Jackson continues to poke Jaebum from his sides to his cheek. Jaebum sighs and gave up after half an hour because Jackson is really persistent.

“Fine. It’s Choi Youngjae.” Jaebum squeaks out and Jackson looks at him.

“Aww, you two would be so cute together! That’s the Youngjae that lives with Mark, right? Oh my god, are you blushing Jaebum? I can’t believe—that’s so cute. Look at you, all grown up. You’re so red on the face Jaebum. That’s so adorable.” Jackson coos and Jaebum swats Jackson’s hand who’s pinching his cheeks.

“Shut. Up.” Jaebum says but he knows he is, indeed, blushing.

~

Youngjae frowns at the desk where he puts his school bag before going to his library duty. There's a bouquet of flowers with a tag that has a smiley face on. He sweeps it to the side to give some space for his bag. It kinda annoys Youngjae now because it's been two whole weeks since the start of that mess.

“Oh? Youngjae-ah.” Jaebum peeks from his seat at the library to see a disgruntled Youngjae (cutely disgruntled, in Jaebum's opinion).

“Jaebum-hyung,” Youngjae whines.

“What’s the matter?” Jaebum asks with his face etched with worry.

“Someone keeps on leaving their s on my desk for so many days already.” Youngjae crosses his arms on his chest and puffs some air upwards, making his bangs go up. Jaebum kept his facial expression neutral.

“But these are cupcakes?” Jaebum offers.

“Yeah and the person who leaves it there doesn't go back to get it. I feel bad that it will just go to waste so I eat it when I'm sure the owner won't get it anymore.” Youngjae replies.

“Oh.” Jaebum gives him a small smile. At least he’s eating it. He’s going to kill Jackson later for suggesting the idea of leaving chocolates or cupcakes on Youngjae’s table.

~

“Just woo him, Im Jaebum.” Jackson says firmly to a sulking Jaebum. “You've got a massive charm, you know? I hear the girls from your college keeps swooning whenever you pass by.”

“I don't know how to 'woo' someone.” Jaebum groans.

“What is this about 'wooing' someone?” someone interrupts as the door opened.

“Oh, Jinyoung.” Jackson greets with a salute. “Jaebum has a huge hard-on for Choi Youngjae.”

“What did you say?” Jinyoung asks, his eyes blown wide.

“Jaebum has a massive crush on Choi Youngjae.” Jackson replies.

“No, no. I heard you. But are you talking about my baby, Choi Youngjae?” Jinyoung asks again.

“Your baby?!” Both Jackson and Jaebum yelled at the same time.

“No! Not like that! What the hell. He's like my ultimate youngest son, you know?” Jinyoung clarifies. “Really, Jaebum? This is... Wow... This is new.”

“I know right? The emotionless Im Jaebum finally fell in love and for the first time he doesn't know what to do about something.” Jackson says, making Jaebum kill him with his eyes but softens when he looked at Jinyoung with pleading eyes.

“Oh my god, so this is so not a joke, huh?” Jinyoung asks.

“Jinyoung.” Jackson calls out. “I think he's having an internal breakdown. Please calm him down. Look at him.”

“Go get some ice cream from the convenience store, Jackson. I think he needs it” Jinyoung says, earning a nod from Jackson who quickly disappeared.

“Jinyoung I don't know what to do.” Jaebum whines. He is actually whining and Jinyoung can't hide his surprise.

“Jaebum. Calm down.” Jinyoung instructed sternly before moving in front of Jaebum.

“WHAT WILL I DO?” Jaebum screams and Jinyoung finally slaps Jaebum at the back of his head.

“I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter