30th Birthday

Birthday

Milan, Selene’s 30th Birthday

 

‘Kris, I’ll really appreciate if you quit following me around,’ said Selene for the umpteenth times already. 

Truth to be told, she tired to tell Kris to back out and leave her alone. Since his sudden appearance on her fashion show last night—and this still left Selene a big hole as in, how exactly did Kris sneak in to her fashion show without an invitation? As far as her brain could remember, she did not send any invitation for him. Was there traitor in her team?

Kris even turned to be Selene’s tail; he never left Selene even of a second! Do not say a second; he even became her personal guard and patiently waiting for Selene outside the lady’s room at the after party last night. His weird act did not end by the after party, he was practically appearing at the same place where Selene was. His hotel room was also surprisingly just across hers, nah?

Right now, Selene had to put every ounce of patient oh her from the urge not to throw Kris out of plane’s window when she found out her seat-mate was the giant—idiot one if she must add. As if she could do that.

Sigh

‘Kris—‘

‘Why? Are you that despise upon seeing my presence here?’ Kris irritatingly asked, honestly, if Selene was sensitive enough; there hurt tone behind his irritating tone.

Selene quiet for moment and heaved a deep breath before closed the magazine she was reading and face the man next to her seat, look directly to his dark orbs.

‘I don’t despise, hate or anything, it just that, you can't just appear anytime, or anywhere you like. You’re busy—‘

‘Don’t start with busy , or how I supposed to take my job first,’ Kris interjected for second time before he continued, but this time with softer tone. ‘I’m the boss, I can work whenever and wherever I want. Moreover, this wasn’t only for your birthday but also your fashion show and you tell me to miss the fun?’

Selene silenced, honestly she was beyond happy that Kris purposely vacant his schedule just for her, and of course, he did not forget her birthday, but...

Kris reached out her head and ruffled her hair while smiling wide.

‘I can’t wait to get you your birthday present,’

Selene squinted but before she could utter a word, the flight attendant asked for attention as the plane was about to land.

Kris grabbed Selene’s hand and led her through the boarding tunnel to the exit gate but it was only several steps before they entered the gate Selene stopped her track, instantly made Kris’ hand tugged behind.

‘What is it?’ Kris turned around and asked.

‘That’s VIP gate,’ Selene pointed out the obvious.

‘So?’

Selene did not answer only gave him tentative look and somehow Kris understand her.

‘Come on, people are watching if we continue to argue in here. Let’s talk later alright? My car is outside and I’m deathly tired now,’ Kris tugged her hand and Selene obediently followed his lead with deep sigh.

She never won against him, not even once. He always has a way one or another. And perhaps, by his meaning of “I’m deathly tired now” was “You’re deadly tired” because the only thing Kris did all morning and afternoon was rolling around on his bed as he waited for Selene completed her interview and photoshoot’s schedules.

The ride was quiet since Selene did not bother to start any conversation with the giant and so did Kris, he leaned his head to the female’s shoulder and started to drift off. Mindlessly, Selene also leaned against him and gladly closed her eyes, welcoming the dreamland.

‘Mr. Wu,’ the driver called with small voice, careful not to wake the female up.

‘Yeah?’ Kris groggily replied.

‘We’re almost reaching,’

‘Oh, alright.’

They drove around few minutes more before the vehicle came to stop. And Kris slowly shook Selene.

‘Hey, sleepyhead, we’re here,’

‘Oh,’ Selene’s eyes fluttered open and her hand instinctively flew to wipe the non-existent drool, much to Kris’ amusement.

Once Selene regained her state, she immediately narrowed her eyes. Kris Wu, what you’re up to?

‘Where are we?’ Selene asked.

Kris did not reply, instead he grabbed Selene’s hand and dragged her to the mansion, ignoring her protests or countless demanding questions. He just happily gave Selene a tour around the house, which she must admit, the house was beautiful.

It located distant away from the crowded downtown, but one thing she adored the most about this house—it was actually freaking huge mansion or maybe castle? Ridiculous—was, this house actually had Lake Maggoire as back yard! So the front gate was facing the main road while the beautiful lake was on the background.

‘Kris,’ Selene called. She stood by the balcony, admiring the view of the lake in winter down there.

The male turned to her, he too, stood next to her with both elbows on the bar, bending a little.

‘Hm?’ he replied with hum.

‘Whose house it is?’

‘Hmm... Well, technically, this is yours,’

‘No kidding Kris,’

‘I’m not,’

Now Selene turned to face him and when their eyes met, all she could see was seriousness. He was definitely not kidding, wasn’t he?

‘And how in the world this is mine?’

‘Birthday present,’ Kris simply replied.

Selene snorted. A birthday present? Is he gone insane?

‘Didn’t you grow tired?’ Kris asked out of the blue.

‘Tired of what?’ Selene asked back.

‘I’m tired already. 20 years passed so quick yet too long—at least for me. I think, I wander too long and far already, that’s why I grew tired. What about you? Don’t you have anything to say about this?’

By now, Selene muted; her lips sealed tightly, her mind jumbled with all kind of possibilities.

‘I want to stop and stay in one place this is why I buy this house,’

‘Do... you want to stay here?’ Selene tentatively asked.

‘What do you think?’ Kris asked back.

Selene did not reply; she was just staring at the distance. Was this really happening?

‘If you let me, I would love to stay,’

Selene heard Kris said some more and this time she turned to face him only to find he extended his left arm, asked her to take.

A smile bloom from the giant face as Selene put her palm on top of his.

‘Thank you for stop wandering,’