Sheep and Puppies

Sleepless Nights

One hundred and twenty-six.

 

One hundred and twenty-seven.

 

One hundred and twenty-eight.

 

One hundred and twenty-nine.

 

One hundred and thirty.

 

Chanyeol let out a frustrated growl and sat up on his bed. With only the moonlight that spilled into his bedroom through his window illuminating the dark place, Chanyeol looked around the room.

 

Chanyeol looked over at his digital clock on his little table beside his bed.

 

3:37 ing AM.

 

With another frustrated growl, he fell back and thrashed about until he was a tangled mess of white sheets, mishandled pillows and long limbs.

 

Park Chanyeol, victim of Chronic insomnia, was counting horses to help him fall asleep. Under normal circumstances, people count sheep, he did too.

 

At first, it was the normal sheep, but then it got boring, so he imagined sheep with colourful wool and started counting the ones who had blue wool; his favourite colour. That also got boring after some time, so he imagined little sheep and big sheep and counted the little sheep and big sheep at the same time and put them under the category 'Big' and 'Small'. He figured multitasking wasn't his area and lost count. He then thought of counting the male population of sheep from a mixed population of sheep. He didn't know how to differ between the Rams and the Ewes. So, he started counting big and small sheep of all colours and genders all together.

 

Well, he didn't count them for many nights before he had a nightmare of big and small, colourful Rams and Ewes chasing him through the streets yelling "BAAA! BAAA!" very angrily, and to make it worse, he was running on the streets. So, there he was, lying on his bed, staring at the darkness, counting horses.

 

I swear to God the entire animal kingdom is gonna chase me through the streets before I'm done with life.

 

Sighing, he got up and swung his long, clumsy legs over the edge of the bed.

 

Why not get some fresh air on the rooftop? Chanyeol's inner voice suggested. 

 

After sitting for some time and pondering over the thought, Chanyeol decided that some fresh air might help him. Grabbing a random pair of jeans and and a shirt from inside the closet in the darkness, he quickly changed and walked out, managing to miraculously find some shoes to find in the dark as well. Grabbing the lighter and the packet of cigarettes lying on the table, he stuffs them into his pocket and heads out.

 

Quietly shutting the door behind him, the lanky giant walked towards the elevator, pushed the up button and started tapping his foot.

 

That was when he saw his hazy reflection from the elevator door and froze. There, on his shirt, was a cartoon picture of..... a sheep. A mothering fat, woolly sheep wad staring back at him wearing a ridiculous smile, as if mocking him, and written below the picture was "Baa! Baa!"

 

Mentally cursing himself for trying to find a decent shirt in the dark, Chanyeol debated whether to go back and change or not. The sound of the elevator arriving saved him the trip of changing and coming back.

 

Stuffing his hands in his pocket, Chanyeol stepped into the elevator and pressed the button of the final floor. Unable to face the mocking sheep on his shirt, he stared at his shoes all the way up. As soon as he heard the ding, he flipped his middle finger at the reflection of the sheep and stepped out as soon as the elevator doors swung open.

 

Climbing the stairs that lead to the rooftop, he his lighter and the cigarette packet. As soon as he pushed open the door, the cold wind bit at his skin unforgivingly wherever possible. Slightly shuddering, Chanyeol managed to take about five steps before he heard a strangled cry behind him.

 

Before he could even turn around, or even react, a body clung onto him. Legs going around his waist tightly and arms snaking around his neck.

 

This person is very warm was Chanyeol's first thought.

 

But then the arms that went around him started strangling him- hard.

 

Chanyeol's mouth was opening and closing repeatedly like a fish out of water as he desperately tried to pry off the arms choking the hell out of him.

 

His hands grabbed hold of a small pair of wrists before he forced them off of his neck. Having an iron grip of the wrists, he gulped in a huge breath before he forcibly threw the body away from him. He heard a dull thud of body hitting ground followed by a sharp yelp.

 

Turning around and bracing himself for another attack, he looked at the body lying lifeless on the ground, unmoving.

 

Oh, God.

 

Adrenaline raced through his system.

 

He's dead.

 

Chanyeol quickly walked over to the still body and poked it with his foot.

 

"Hey, hey, you, wake up. Are you dead? Oh my God, did I kill you? , I don't wanna go to jail!" Chanyeol half-yelled as he fell onto his knees and turned the body so that it was lying on its back.

 

The eyes of the attacker flew open and Chanyeol had a moments warning before a fist solidly connected with his jaw, sending him reeling back and landing hard on his .

 

The attacker was up on his feet and took a few steps back before he picked up an object.

 

Chanyeol, groaning and blabbering curses, got up and faced the boy, cupping his side of the face which was starting to swell.

 

Beautiful.

 

You seriously ing got hit bad, and you're complimenting his looks?!

 

So, very beautiful.

 

Okay. That's it. How much more of your sanity have you lost?

 

A small figure, illuminated only by the dim light of a bulb barely hanging, stood in front of Chanyeol, breathing hard and clutching-

 

IS THAT A BASEBALL BAT?!

 

Chanyeol stared at the boy rooted in front of him, absorbing every little detail he could.

 

Oh, why not? Admire the person who's gonna beat your brains out.

 

The boy glared at Chanyeol before he stepped forward with the bat in hand, grip tightening around.

 

That's it. I can't take it anymore. I'm going. Bye bye. You're on your own motherer.

 

"What do you want?" The boy hissed, an angry aura settling around him.

 

"Uhh..what?"

 

Stupid. Stupid, Chanyeol his inner voice screeched at him.

 

I thought you went?

 

Eh, shaddap and move your lazy , giant. I don't wanna die

 

"I said, what do you want? I'm giving you five seconds to answer, or so help me, I will bash you on the head with this bat and knock you into next week."

 

The boy took one step forward, and Chanyeol took two steps back.

 

"Oh, me?"

 

No, your ing dog. Yes, you! You ing giraffe!

 

"I came here to smoke, but if I am disturbing you, I can leave," Chanyeol suggested as he shrugged.

 

Smooth, real smooth. You just doomed us both, you dip . You don't tell a murderer the truth; you lie to escape. Haven't you leart anything during your existence in this ing planet.

 

You need to ing learn to shut up.

 

Do not use that tone on me, mister. I am not the one who's gonna get us killed.

 

The boy seemed to look at Chanyeol from the shadows; his eyes burning holes through Chanyeol's soul.

 

"He sent you, didn't he?" Another dangerous step towards Chanyeol.

 

"He? You mean my conscience? Yeah, pretty much. Look, I am not going to disturb you, if you were busy... with whatever you were doing, but I'll take my leave after taking a quick whiff," Chanyeol replied, and walked over to the metal railing, turning his back towards the boy.

 

Upon reaching the edge, he placed his hands on the railing and looked down at the street far below. He took a cigarette and placed it between his lips. Taking his lighter out as well, he lit the cigarette, and stuffed it back into his pocket.

 

Taking a long drag, he exhaled, plumes of white smoke rushing out of his chapped lips.

 

Could you please hurry up?! I'm about to piss my pants!

 

Don't you dare ing make me piss my pants! Chanyeol thought, panicking.

 

After a minute or so passed with Chanyeol quietly inhaling the toxic gas and the boy observing him from the darkness, he heard light footsteps approaching him from behind.

 

Say something cool when he flings us off the roof, you might as well die coolly.

 

"Who actually sent you and what do you really want?"

 

Chanyeol, without turning around, replied, "My conscience did. It's so suffocting living here sometimes, so it was like, 'why not get some fresh air?' So, here I am."

 

"You live here?" The boy asked, surprise in his voice.

 

"Yeah, apartment number 33-C, 33rd floor," Chanyeol shrugged, and took another long whiff.

 

Great, now he can murder us in our sleep.

 

"Turn around," the boy ordered, voice shaking.

 

Chanyeol, deeply exhaling out the fumes, slowly turned around to face the boy.

 

The moonlight bounced off the boy, sharpening his features. A mop of over-grown, messy  chocolate brown hair falling over his chestnut brown eyes which held a steely gaze that were capable of boring holes right through you. Flushed, plump, pink lips which were set in a hard line. Snow white, flawless skin that shone when the moonlight bounced off it in all the right angles.

 

Beautiful.

 

Chanyeol noticed a tattoo on the boy's neck; a rose or something. Seven piercings on his left ear and four on his right. 

 

"You swear, that you were never sent by anyone to find me?" The boy asked, eyes hardening.

 

"I told you once and I'll tell you again, it this pain in the voice in my head that told me to come, if it wasn't for that voice, I would never be hear," Chanyeol replied, and turned around again.

 

Oh, sure, just put the blame on me, why don't you? 

 

After another whiff and a few moments of silence, he felt the brunette- who honestly reminded Chanyeol of a lost puppy he had seen on the street- stand next to him, maintaining a comfortable distance.

 

None of them spoke a word, but the silence was not an uncomfortable one.

 

"You got any extra?" The boy asked, shooting a glance at the cigarette stuck between Chanyeol's lips.

 

Chanyeol hesitated for a moment before handing him the packet as well as the lighter. The boy took a cigarette, placed it between his pink lips, lit it and handed back the packet and lighter back to Chanyeol.

 

"Thanks."

 

Chanyeol grunted in response.

 

Another silence settled between the two males as they both inhaled and exhaled fumes. The occasional honking of a car down below could be heard. 

 

I wonder why they are not sleeping, it's a gift that they can actually go to sleep without having to count sheep. Such a waste of the night.

 

"Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun," the boy said, startling Chanyeol from his thoughts.

 

"Huh?"

 

The boy smiled, "My name. Byun Baekhyun."

 

"Oh," was all Chanyeol could say.

 

First he tries to kill me, and now he's introducing himself to me. What a strange world we live in.

 

That'a how they all are. They kill you when you least expect them to.

 

Chanyeol groaned inwardly. You need to shut up, seriously.

 

"And you are?" 

 

Don't do it, Chanyeol. Don't do-

 

"Chanyeol. Park Chanyeol."

 

May the Lord take care of our souls.

 

"Chan. Yeol." 

 

Chanyeol's breath hitched and his heart missed a beat. How right it felt to hear his name pass through those delicate looking lips.

 

Another silence.

 

Chanyeol whiffed a few more times before his cigarette was done. He dropped it on the floor and stamped theblittle flame out.

 

"Well, I am done, so I shall take my leave just as I said,"  Chanyeol said, and prepared to leave.

 

"Nice meeting you," Baekhyun replied, still staring down at the city.

 

"Afraid I cannot say the same, really," Chanyeol grunted back, and Baekhyun broke into a grin.

 

Chanyeol was almost through the door when, "I come here everyday, around one in the morning."

 

Was that an invitation of some sort? Is he asking me to come again?

 

Uhh, no. He means don't ever show your ing face after that time.

 

"You awake then, Yeol?" This time, Baekhyun turned to look at Chanyeol.

 

"I'm awake," Chanyeol replied almost immediately.

 

Baekhyun smiled, "Okay, then," and went back to stare at the ground below, puffing out plumes of smoke.

 

Chanyeol stared at the boy's small frame before he left.

 

He arrived at his apartment.

 

Throwing the lighter and the packet, he went into the room. Kicking off his shoes, and ripping off the shirt with the bloody sheep, the giant clumsily jumped onto the bed, the bed creaking underneath his weight.

 

Images played in Chanyeol's head of the events that happened on the rooftop. Figuring sleep won't come to him any time soon, he closed his eyes, ready to count horses. 

 

No horses came, instead, his head flooded with images of Baekhyun's baeutiful face.

 

Sleep came to Chanyeol faster than he expected and he slipped off to a dream.

 

For once in a long time, it was not filled with rainbow coloured sheep chasing a Chanyeol, but rather of chocolate brown lost puppies with haunting, chestnut eyes playing with him.

 

For once in a long time, he slept with a smile on his face.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N

 

Well....that was...idk....crap? But then again, all of them were. Bleah. :p

 

Mind u, I have not reread it or gone through it. Sorry if there are mistakes.

 

Subscribe to stay updated, comment and upvote....coz i said so...or else..*brings out my army of rainbow coloured, big and small Rams and Ewes* XD

 

Hope u guys liked it. Seriously... lemme know how it was.

-DW