Chapter 1

Escaping The Realms

Oh Sehun cracked open a single eye, dark eyelashes fluttering against the shock of alabaster skin, and let out a vibrating yawn that reverberated against his skull.

His clammy palms balled up into tiny fists, reaching up to rub away the crust formed at the edges of his eyes that accompanied the leftover sleep, and let out a strained grumble. Slipping out of the soft pillowy confines of cool cotton sheets, his bare toes brushing against the cold tiles- then his foot- and stood upright, his fractured muscles cracking and knuckles popping.

There was a pill on the bedside table. 

A pill that was filled with an unknown crimson red substance rested in the middle of a fragile china plate, a tall glass of water stood towering beside. Sighing, Sehun reached for the pill and grimaced as the smooth capsule hit his tongue, not enjoying the foreign yet acrid tang of taste bursting through his buds, so he snatched up the glass and swallowed down the water in big gulps, the tidal wave washing away the displeasing taste as well as his quench of thirst. A few stray droplets rolled down his chin in streamy rivulets, and continued its journey down to his neck. 

He settled down the empty glass with cautious actions at the exact same position it had been, and frowned. The pill was supposedly to give him a kick of energy for the mornings, yet he felt null.

No strange rush of vitality coursing throughout his body.

No forced energy pumping through his veins.

That was why he didn't get the reasons of mandatory actions of shoving pills down your throats when the aftereffects were almost near to... nothing.

So he heaved a sigh once again. 

Weak sunlight filtered through the creamy lavender curtains filled his peripheral vision, as he made a failed attempt to squint his provoked eyes. He hurried over to the windows and flung the distracting fabric to the side, his face immediately basking in the golden glow of the sunshine. The dazzling shine kissed against his skin emitting a radiant aura, sprinkling a veil of warmth. 

It was a beautiful day. 

Lush green leaves skimmed in contact with the window glass, the faint chirps of birds resonating in the distance somewhere far away, and the scenery, an assortment of crystal clear rivers and ice-capped mountains, looked all but picturesque and serene. The sky was painted with contours of pastel blue, a low wash of orange dispersing into the vast spaces of clouds. Sehun let his lids fall for a moment, enjoying the feel of higher degrees of atmosphere on his face, before he snapped his eyes back and glanced at the corner of the ceiling. 

A closed-circuit television stared at him. 

Sehun stared back, unwavering. 

A second passed, his kept his gaze predatory. Another second skipped, he came to outmost realization and his eyes flitted to the floor. 

The intricate curves and flowering on the shaggy rug had never seemed that intriguing, till now. 

Begrudgingly- almost hesitant, he drew the curtains back; the way it was, of course; and skidded back to bed in one full go, burying himself under the fresh detergent-smelling crisp sheets.

He never wanted to wake up again. 

He wanted himself away, 

Far away, 

Away from this nightmare that screamed reality. 

 

~

 

The doorbell rang in the early afternoons.

Once. 

Then twice. 

A series of harsh knocks on the flimsy paint-peeled door came next. 

Sehun stirred in the spur of grogginess and heaved his entire body weight away from his velvety coven. He made a quick tour from the bedroom to the lounge in just mere seconds, legs dancing a hasty route. 

Yes, that just one sentence proved Sehun lived in the damndest of all hellhole that only required five baby steps to the door, give or take.

At least it was free, on the brighter side. He needn't need to spend a single penny on the apartment, furnitures and all that he would never have enough to scrape up his pockets for. 

Feet curling under the icy coldness of the linoleum floor, he twisted the cool knob clockwise and came-face to-face with a familiar figure, almost up to eye level. 

"Sehun."

Kim Jongin glowered, thick eyebrows furrowing. A shiver ran down Sehun's spine as he gazed through his monolid eyes at his boyfriend. 

Yes, boyfriend. Kim Jongin. Doctor. Taken. 

What happened to the sweet Hellos and kisses on the lips or forehead? Gone was it in the wind along with his thousand-watt smile.

"J-Jongin? Is something the matter?" Sehun ran his tongue along his cracked lower lip from the excessive biting. He had hoped Jongin wouldn't notice how chapped and dry his lips were, afraid the latter would somehow be repulsed.

But since when were Sehun's lips un-chapped? 

It didn't even matter much now that he just stuttered. His reputation as the calm and collected guy he was shattered into millions of shards. 

Jongin's eyes softened, as he reached a battered hand up and carded his nimble fingers through his boyfriend's platinum blond locks, playing with the silky strands. 

"Sorry."

It somehow sounded genuine.

"The morning assembly started forty minutes ago and you were not there. I was worried, Sehun. That you did something wrong, and the guards have taken you away. I was worried. So I came up as soon as possible."

Jongin's shoulders slumped, as the first of a heart-wrenching sob escaped his pale rosy lips. "I-I don't know what I would do if I lost you Sehun. I really don't..."

A certain string tugged at Sehun's tenuous heart as he enveloped Jongin in an affectionate hug without thinking twice. The sniffles seemed to subside as minutes ticked by, leaving small choked hiccups behind. Jongin smiled through hazy eyes, Sehun smiled back.

A few hallmates walked past, obviously coming back from the ended assembly, and the couple broke apart before anyone had spotted them being all chummy and lovey dovey. 

Their relationship was forbidden. 

And Sehun despised that. 

"Go." Sehun tried giving his best of smiles, urging his boyfriend by the flat of his palm against Jongin's strong chest. He could feel the erratic beating of his heart under his touch, and it reminded him, that indeed, he was real. They were real. 

"I'll see you at the evening checkup. Please, don't arrive late or choose not to come at all. The guards will notice." Jongin begged, desperation laced the tip of his tongue, as he forwarded out of their embrace. "I'll be waiting, 'kay?" Sehun nodded once and stepped back, and the door slowly clicked shut behind his back. 

He sighed, for the upteenth time that morning. 

Sehun was cursed being a Rare. 

A Rare of manipulative abilities. He who could take complete control and power of the gears behind anyone's mind. The Normals would categorize the abilities as a gift from God, but Sehun was completely against it, as well as all Rares of different potentials. He thought of it as curse, driving them to being feared by Normals. He had wished he could somehow change the opinions of those naive people by putting them into his shoes for once. Who would like being cooped up in a strict community who had dominance over the controllance of powers when actually you're the one who should be the one doing the masterminding? 

Sehun shook his head as the stubborn curtain of his fringe fell into his eyes. He really needed a haircut, sooner or later. 

He strode over to the closet and picked out an outfit that consisted of a white dress shirt and dark leg-hugging pants - one that all Rares wore- with a plastic nametag that stated his name and ability in silver capitals clipped at the pocket of the crisp shirt. He wiggled through the clothes and picked up the keys that lay on the coffee table along his way out. He had planned to stay in the afternoon; ignoring his growling stomach wishes and all; and roll around in bed, uncaring. But then the guards would notice one of the Rares were missing and all in all, Sehun didn't have a choice. He didn't want to die just because he let in to his selfish decisions. 

With one final look back to his room, and locked the door and headed down to the cafeteria to have his lunch. 

 

~

 

"Number ninety-four; Oh Sehun." 

Sehun stepped up to the counter with his empty tray along the gradient of the rusting guardrail, watching as the aged-lady behind scrawled an inked tick into the crumpled checklist and dumped a bland porridge and a medicated drink- to keep his abilities under control- onto the tray and Sehun walked away with no further hesitation in his steps.

He spotted his friend Baekhyun, who was a Telekinetic Rare, sitting at the furthest end of an empty table and poking his porridge with his spoon, mind a different place elsewhere. Sehun settled down beside him with a bang of the tray on the table, successfully jolting Baekhyun out from his dazed stance. 

"S-Sehun! Holy , you scared me!" Baekhyun glared as he clutched at his chest. "Don't sneak up on your elder like that. I literally had a heart attack!"

Sehun only chuckled and scooped up the cold, watery porridge and transferred it into his mouth. He swallowed thickly at the damp and tasteless substance. 

"This tastes horrible." Sehun coughed. Baekhyun just laughed after recovering from his minor shock, albeit heart still beating frantically in his ribcage. "You say that every morning." He paused. "It's the crushed pills in it that makes it ten times worse."

"I know that." Sehun scoffed as he spooned another handful into his mouth. "Wanting to keep our powers to a minimum range and stupid like that when it's not even helping one bit."

Baekhyun eyed the unappetizing dish in front of him and the corner of his mouth curled. He kept his gaze on the spoon in front of him and it levitated, bits of the soggy mixture of rice and water falling onto the table and to which the cleaning lady would scowl upon once they were done. Concentrating from his mind, the silverware jutted itself into Baekhyun's mouth and dropped with a thunk as it hit back against the porcelain bowl.

He felt like puking once it travelled down his throat, as the remains of the solid remnants of crushed pills swirled around his tongue. 

Disgusted, Baekhyun tore open the cap of the bottled drink and downed it up, flinching away when the first of the bitter medication and fake strawberry taste decorated his tongue. He moaned. 

"Why is everything so freaking bad in here?"

Sehun stopped amidst the scratching of the last bit of porridge from his bowl and raised an eyebrow, tipping the spoon in Baekhyun's direction. "And you," he smirked, "have been saying that since forever." Taking the provided bottle under his arm, he grabbed his tray and rose from his seat. "See you tomorrow, if you're still alive."

Watching Sehun go with glaring daggers, he turned his attention back to his half-eaten dish.

"Cocky little bastard."

 

~

 

Sehun shoved his hands into his pockets as he strolled through the chilly hallways, a series of glass doors automatically making way to him as he walked by. Nurses clad in scrubs pushed rolling metal carts shelved with plastic bottles of tablets and sharp-looking metal tools along, Rares emerging once or twice from their designated rooms. 

Sehun reached the end of a dim hallway where the lightbulbs flickered above, and placed his thumb where the electronic touchpad was, at the wall by the glass door that shielded him from the room. He could see Jongin inside, wiping clean a syringe with a stained piece of ragged cloth. He retracted his thumb once the door gained him permitted access, and was immediately greeted with a cooler ambience as he watched Jongin place the now-clean syringe away in a cupboard and smiled broadly at Sehun.

"You came!"

"Of course." Sehun replied, rolling his eyes heavenwards. "I had to. It's not a matter of like or dislike."

Jongin's grin faltered.

"Of course, of course. Take a seat, Sehunnie."

Sehun scowled at the pet-name, unamused. 

So he did what he was told, he plopped down on a steel stool and yanked at the collar of his shirt. It was so freaking tight and stuffy in there, almost suffocating. Jongin took a parallel seat facing him, a clipboard in his gloved hands. 

"Alright. I'll start off by asking you questions, as always. So how was your day?"

"It's not included in the list you're supposed to ask."

"But I'm your doctor, and I need to know as your boyfriend."

Sehun huffed.

"Same as always. Woke up late and feeling lazy to a bawling Kim Jongin at the door all to the fact I didn't attend the morning assembly," He stopped to take in Jongin's expression at that. He was looking uncomfortable and all the words similar as he squirmed in his little stool that could barely hold his entire weight, creaking noisily as it did so. Sehun almost felt smug. 

"O-Okay... What's next?"

"Went to have my ty lunch with Byun ing Baekhyun. End of story. Case closed. Now continue with whatever questions you are actually supposed to ask. I'm bored."

"Okay. So have you been taking the medications?"

"I have to. I'm forced to."

"Have you practiced your powers in your spare times?"

"No. I don't want to."

"Seh-"

"Just continue, please."

Jongin deflated but gave a small defeated nod, scribbling down the given answer at the paper on the clipboard.

"Last question. Do you feel like your abilities are overpowering yourself?"

"No. I feel fine. I feel normal."

Jongin chuckled dryly, putting away the clipboard settled at his lap, and displayed a small solid sphere at his calloused fingertips, from who-knew-where he had magically pulled out from. 

"I will now test your manipulative ability range today. Do anything, something, to change the form of this sphere."

Sehun scrutinized the little ball as if it was a prey, gingerly picking it up and settling it in the soft of his indented palms. "Alright." He locked gazes with the still object, a broken picture of what was the sphere slowly breaking apart and melting blurry in his disarranged mind. The thought immediately evanesced into faded memories once he lost his link of concentration for a mere split of second.

"I can't do it." He declared, clutching the sphere so tightly his knuckles turned slate white. The porridge and the mysterious drink he had disposed into his stomach earlier was surely doing a great job in lowering his senses and agility. Sehun did not like it one bit. "The pills are taking effect."

"Just concentrate. Let your mind be at ease."

"I said it, I can't."

"You can."

"I ing can't." Sehun glared through his lashes, bruised lips upturned. Jongin massaged his throbbing temples, inhaling then speaking on an exhale through his teeth. 

"Try again." He urged on, persuasive. 

Sehun took prisoner of his bottom lip as he bit down, not effectively breaking skin but tasting the first sliver of metallic bitterness. He wished to continue on his snarky dispute, but decided he didn't have any sorts of beginner's luck, so he opted to try again once more. 

Focusing on the sphere at the back of his retina, he pictured the image fresh in his mind, conquering over the other miscellaneous thoughts.  

Solid, melting. To molten liquid. 

Eyes never flaltering from the object, he tried his very best to transfer his intentions from his brain to the sphere. 

He could feel a certain heat discharging onto his palm, one he couldn't pinpoint onto, as the foremost layer of the sphere peeled away, then creeping into the core, shattering into bits then liquefying into thick melted goo. The silvery fluid ran past the gaps of his fingers and voyaging down his thin wrist, trickling tears of droplets upon the smooth surface of the marble flooring.

Sehun eyes widened in astonishment.

Jongin merely smiled in accomplishment.

"I knew you could do it. Denying the fact just won't change anything. I'm proud of you."

Sehun squinted his eyes and a growl bubbled at the depth of his throat, his span of his attention back on his fingers, scissoring them as the trails of the liquid stretched across. He really hated Jongin at times like this. If he didn't love him, he would have just punched the doctor square in the face and quitted out of the room before the experiment had started. 

But he didn't. Realization dawned into him that he loved that cheeky, beautiful, tanned-skin bastard. Sehun's scowl arched downwards even more at that.

"Is that it?" Sehun asked, as he was handed a piece of flimsy paper towel to wipe off the remainings left on his hand. 

"Yes," Jongin nodded, a miniscule of a smile tugging at the corner of his lips. "Just keep in mind that the yearly examinations is only a week away. You must practice, don't let the pills get the best of you." 

"I do remember." Sehun lied. "Now, may I leave?"

"Wait." Jongin got up from his stool and tucked two calloused fingers under Sehun's chin, raising his head up and meeting the other's smirk. He could feel Jongin's hot breath fan against his scarlet speckled face, and he anticipated on his toes as Jongin leaned in and captured his plump lips in a slow passionate kiss, organs molding together like two perfect jigsaw puzzles pieces and advancing in perfect sync, an unexpected kiss that left Sehun breathless and panting for air. 

"Now you may go."

 


Just wanted to clarify that Sehun has Mind as well as Object Manipulation powers :D