January 11th, 2016

Presque Vu
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
1. January 11th, 2016.

Cafe Clair de Lune

“Here I come.” Lee Seunghoon stops infront of the gate for a few seconds before reluctantly open it while shaking his head. The door is heavier than usual, and this might have been the first time he ever sets foot into the coffeeshop before noon. An unfamiliar smell of wet grass and humid soil from the garden welcomes him, as he opens the door to the patio section. He sighs and changes into his uniform – black shirt, black pants - before looking for the tools and start cleaning.

Lee Seunghoon normally doesn't do morning shifts. Early mornings don't do Seunghoon either; all they ever have in common is acknowledging that the other exists with or without their paths collided. For the last ten years, every morning, without an exception, the moment the first sunlight hits the crack of the windows is when Seunghoon pulls the curtains, puts on his eye mask and ear plugs, and jumps the bed. Like a streaking clock, he doesn't miss one second. Until today.

"I'm sooooo sorry hyung. I would never, and I really mean it, you know how much I respect your lifestyle. If any I'm the one that understands it the most, hyung." His co-worker, Nam Taehyun's phone call at five in the morning arrives merely 5 seconds before Seunghoon puts on his ear plugs and wanders the land of dream. Mutual friends always talk about how lucky Taehyun is in life, but Seunghoon never really thinks much about it. Luck is either coincidental, or more often than not, based on good looks. Young, fresh, with sparkling eyes and soft skin, of course Taehyun has to be lucky. Strutting through life looking like he is, the universe might as well bless him with rose petals following his steps everywhere. The point is, (1) Seunghoon knows Taehyun is said to be lucky but (2) he is skeptical, mostly because he doesn't believe in luck however (3) that boy makes a phone call right on time Seunghoon calls it a night and (4) if he is just 5 seconds late his call would go straight to voicemail thus (5) maybe after all Taehyun is lucky for real and (6) it means that Taehyun is both extremely good looking and lucky as hell and (7) that makes Seunghoon very not-pleased about virtually everything that is happening at the moment.

"What now, spill it." Seunghoon yawns. Twenty bucks Taehyun is going to ask him to take on the morning shifts so the little handsome er can go to some handsome places doing his handsome things.

"I need you to cover my morning shift today..." Taehyun's voice doesn't even sound any different from that in Seunghoon's thoughts. He could try a little harder is exactly what Seunghoon thinks right now.

"20 bucks."

"What?" Taehyun asks back.

"I just bet against myself and won 20 bucks is what's up. I just played myself, Taehyunnie. I had to make a bet with my own self because you over there are disrupting my sleep and conspire to make me go to work in the morning." Seunghoon says without missing a beat. "I have an imaginary 20 bucks to start my day with what's good?"

"I swear I would never do this if I have a choice. Do me a favor this time, hyung?" Taehyun begs. The pretty boy never begs, so Seunghoon reconsiders right away. "I will make up to you when I'm done though!"

"How, little prince? How is hwangja going to make it up for this peasant?" Seunghoon slightly chuckles.

"I will bring you a birthday cake tonight!" Taehyun says, eager voice and all, totally not expecting an utter silence in response. "...hyung?" He asks again, bit nervous this time, after a long minute of nonresponsive Seunghoon.

"Right, I will take care of your shift. Go do your thing." Seunghoon quickly says and hangs up the phone before Taehyun can ask any further question.

January 11th 2016. A Monday morning for the first day of the age 24. Several beginnings all at once, it's worth it to be awake for once. Even though Seunghoon has not been thinking of his birthdays, not in the last four years at least.

He swipes across the screen to look at the time. It's 5:30 am, the first shift starts in an hour and thirty minutes, and if he wishes to look like he hasn't just made a round trip to hell and back, he better jumps to the shower and start grooming himself extra carefully now.


Presque Vu Bookstore


"Good morning, welcome to Presque Vu." A bright, loud, and cheerful voice greets the customer as soon as she walks in the door. She looks aside to see the book keeper smiling widely, showing his perfect white teeth and tender eyes.

"Morning. How are you.” The customer shyly greets back as she walks through the reception table into one of the aisles.

"All same, all same. Let me know if you have any question." The book keeper speaks after her while pulling the drawer out to get his uniform. He sighs as he puts on the dark green waist apron and pins his name tag on the side of his shirt. "Song Minho" - the tag spells. Another day, another five hour shift. Minho still hasn’t gotten used to interacting with people so early in the morning, but if he opens at seven, he could get out by noon, and the rest of the day would so be his. For the limited freedom to do whatever he wants, Minho can deal with this. He often tells himself – but not enough – because everytime he looks down at the u
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter