One

Definitely not love

 

 

 

Mina found herself looking at Chaeyoung yet again. It always happens, the inexplicable staring. Maybe it is simple adoration, or maybe it is something more. But Mina knew that she felt something for her. She didn't like it, she didn't like being kept in the dark especially when it comes to her matter of the heart. Some say that ignorance is bliss, it never felt like bliss when it comes to Chaeyoung. She had to know so that she could at least try to prevent it.

It was at times when Chaeyoung smiles; her eyes light up like the brightest stars in the night sky. So bright and ever so free. Mina had looked into those precious eyes before. It was as if Chaeyoung hid no secrets. And sometimes, she doesn’t just smile; she beams, beams so brightly with that child-like wonder at everything that it sometimes struck Mina with awe. How could someone who had worries inside of her smile so freely? 

It was noon. Mina rested her head against the frosted window of the car and sighed. She wouldn’t want Chaeyoung to catch her staring again from the seat opposite her. It never ended well. Usually when Chaeyoung caught Mina staring, she would look away so quickly that it hurt her. Mina didn't think too much of it though, it was better than being oblivious all the time. 

Behind, Momo and Sana were engaged in a conversation using a mixture of Japanese and Korean that made Mina chuckle inside. The two languages sound almost alike at some points and flowed like the waves during a monstrous storm. They were chatting about Yakitori or something like that. Once again Momo could not keep away from the topic of food. 

Not long after her inward chuckle, the car ran over a bump without much consideration that made Mina knock her forehead against the glass. There was a thud, an excruciating-sounding thud. Instantly, a dull pain began blooming like a flower in the area. Was that karma? Pained, Mina rubbed her forehead with the heel of her hand and groaned. It hurt. Leaning against windows of cars wasn't the best idea. She had to remember to bring a pillow with her next time.

A soft giggling sounded through the empty silence beside them. As infatuated as she was with Chaeyoung, Mina would rather be the one laughing at Chaeyoung than getting laughed at. However, Mina just knowingly smiled at her, revealing her gums as if saying " yeah,". Her signature smile; the one that drives fans crazy. Essentially, she was laughing at her own stupidity.

The moment when Chaeyoung looked at her and laughed with her, made Mina’s heart plunge into a bottomless pit. It was beautiful, her smile. She doesn’t think that she would tire from looking at it. She was smiling and it made Mina happy at that moment even though it was at her silliness. Chaeyoung was an exception.

However, that wasn’t even how she had smiled at Tzuyu once or any of the other members in fact. She hated that it made her jealous. What was there to be jealous about? Mina felt that she can’t be the cause of that smile. She was too boring and she can’t really communicate with Chaeyoung as she would always look elsewhere when Mina would make these tiny advances; enough to get Chaeyoung to notice her, but not enough to hold her attention.

When Chaeyoung had turned back to her window, Mina looked down at her hands. Honestly, Mina was tired of making all the advances like subtly laying a hand on Chaeyoung’s shoulders and occasionally waist, or glancing at her. At rare times, Chaeyoung would reciprocate her actions and her touch always would make Mina's heart feel like it was on clouds, high above the ground. 

Chaeyoung however, was the kind of person to be cozy around all of the members. There were times when Chaeyoung would lay her head on Nayeon, when she would hug Momo, when she would hold hands with everyone but Mina. Mina didn’t feel special, she felt excluded. It was a different feeling than hurt actually.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

The car stopped outside the SBS building where Inkigayo performances take place. The four of them, Mina, Chaeyoung, Momo, Sana brought banners to give to the fans to cheer the rest of the members on for their ‘Gee’ collaboration performance with Gfriend. It was a perfect day for a stroll with clouds fleeting low in the sky. 

They hopped off the bus. The freezing wind bit Mina’s legs but she had been exposed enough to the winter to really feel the cold. As they walked towards the entrance, their manager gave them a stack of banners to hand out to fans, and for Momo, a box of Chupa Chups which Mina had no idea why. Momo looked more than excited to be holding candy, waving it like it was part of a choreography. 

Mina made sure to keep her distance from Chaeyoung however she still ended up standing next to her to meet the fans. She can’t keep herself away from the small bundle of joy. Her happiness was just too contagious to bear. And again, Mina found herself looking at her. She wanted to slap herself whenever her gaze would land on Chaeyoung's perfect face or her new long hair. Fans would probably think she was mentally unstable if she did that. 

Chaeyoung had held up a small tiny sticker on her pointer finger and showed it to Mina. For split second, Mina wanted Chaeyoung to stick it on her face but Chaeyoung turned away as quickly as she showed it to her. Disappointed, Mina simply smiled.

After the short fanmeet was over they were ushered to a small room where they had to wait for the staff members to tidy up the place before they could go in. As their manager suggested a V app, he handed them a phone to start it. The place was barely big enough for all of them, so there wasn't much space for Mina to keep her distance. It made her jumpy yet elated that she was that close to Chaeyoung. 

Mina decided to link arms with Momo to ease the butterflies in her stomach. The problem was Chaeyoung, she was seated beside Mina, slightly more towards the camera. Her arm though was wrapped around Mina’s shoulders, kind of like how a boyfriend would rest his arm around his girlfriend.

Mina glanced over at Sana and Momo and they were in the same kind of position so Mina thought nothing of it – as happy as she was - until Chaeyoung’s hand found its way onto her head. Mina immediately stiffened; all too aware of the movement of her hand caressing her hair. It was so strangely addicting, like how an owner would scratch a cat’s fur. She suddenly felt the puzzling want of falling asleep with Chaeyoung caressing her hair.

Keeping a straight face, Mina focused on the camera and her audience, willing her mind to move away from Chaeyoung. Mina would not let her audience see how much she was enjoying it. She leaned onto Momo’s shoulder for a second wondering of Chaeyoung would let go and instead Chaeyoung’s hand fell onto the side of her head and remained there. It was odd how Chaeyoung's hand were larger than most.  Then, she tucked several strands of hair behind Mina’s ears, her fingers hovering close to it.

The thing that bugged Mina the whole time was whether or not Chaeyoung was aware that she was doing it. It was sort of like a habit. Previously, Chaeyoung loved toying with Mina's hair; spinning it around her finger. She didn’t seem to be aware though, as her eyes were simply looking into the camera. Maybe she does this all the time to other members as well. Was it just her? With all the doubts ricocheting inside her cranium, Mina was too occupied to be noticing that Chaeyoung’s hand had left her head until a familiar longing overwhelmed her. 

That day wasn’t the best day for her, but Mina realized one thing with the feeling of longing, the feeling of disappointment when Chaeyoung never notices her, the feeling of wanting to be next to her all the time... that she was in love.

And she never wanted that love to end.