Save Me

Save Me (Script)

This piece was intended to be a script, so the script format might seem unfamiliar or strange to some people. But it would be nice to get to know the script format, y'know.


 

FADE IN:

EXT. BEACH - SUNSET - UNKNOWN

Moon, rising as the sun slowing setting on the ocean horizon, casting shades of orange and red on to the water.

CAMERA ZOOMS OUT, focusing on the horizon as Yixing comes into view on the right side. SOFT SPLASHES of the ocean water are heard.

OVER THE SHOULDER SHOT - YIXING

JONGIN'S VOICE
(soft, but rough)
So... Did you think about my offer yet?

YIXING sighs, shoulders deflate slightly.

YIXING
(sad, quiet)
I don't know if it's gonna change anything.

CUT TO:

CLOSE UP - JONGIN

JONGIN looks very serious, the sun lights up the left side of his face, while leaving the right side dark and ominous.

JONGIN
Do you want this to change anything?

CUT TO:

CLOSE UP - YIXING

YIXING stares blankly at Jongin with his mouth slightly gaping open, then closes his mouth, looking sad, and looks down.

CUT TO:

MEDIUM SHOT - JONGIN

Jongin is in focus, Yixing's bowed head is still in frame but faded. JONGIN smiles a bit and takes Yixing's right hand.

YIXING
(sadly, but harshly)
I really don't know...

CUT TO:

MEDIUM SHOT - YIXING

Yixing is in focus, half of Jongin's body is in frame but faded. YIXING suddenly looks up with tears in his eyes, cheeks flushed red. His face slowly distorts with raw pained emotions.

YIXING
(in a crescendo) 
I really don't know Jongin!
I just know that I'm sick of this damn life!

CUT TO:

MEDIUM SHOT - JONGIN AND YIXING

The sun is now only slightly above the horizon, making only the horizon bright with shades of orange and red, while the rest of the sky is a mix of purple and black. The sun is between Jongin and Yixing, the sides of the two are dark.

JONGIN smiles fondly at Yixing and holds his hand even tighter.

JONGIN
Then come with me, let's get out of here.

YIXING
You'll protect me, yeah?

JONGIN stands up, bringing Yixing with him. CAMERA TILTS with the movement, until a medium shot of Jongin and Yixing is seen.

JONGIN
Have I ever lied to you?

YIXING stares at Jongin, then turn to look at the ocean water. CAMERA follows Yixing's gaze and ZOOMS into the sparkling ocean water. The SOUND of ocean water slowly grows louder.

YIXING'S VOICE
Hmm... The water is pretty, don't you think Jongin?

The ocean waves are loud, distant seagull squawks are heard. CAMERA continues to ZOOM into the dark ocean. SCENE slowly blacks out.

FADES OUT:

FADES IN:

INT. CAFE - 5:00 AM - FEB 5TH, 2012 - SEOUL

EXTREME CLOSE UP - YIXING'S RIGHT EYE

Yixing's right eye fades in and blinks. At first, his eye seemed as dark as the ocean waves. As the CAMERA ZOOMS OUT, more of Yixing's face comes into the frame. His eye colours slowly change from grey to brown. A SOUND of fingers snapping is heard, CAMERA continues to zoom out.

XIUMIN'S VOICE
Yo! Yixing, wake up!

CLOSE UP - YIXING

XIUMIN snaps again in front of Yixing's face.

XIUMIN
Hey! Hey! Yixing!

YIXING is startled and shakes his head. He turns to look at Xiumin, who is right next to his left shoulder.

YIXING
Huh...? Yeah?

XIUMIN is unamused and pouts. YIXING simply looks at his friend in confusion.

XIUMIN
What the hell are you looking at?

YIXING stares at Xiumin for a good half a minute, then turns to look at a painting. CAMERA follows Yixing's gaze and PANS to the painting.

YIXING
Xiumin... When did you buy that painting?

CUT TO:

CLOSE UP - YIXING AND XIUMIN

XIUMIN
Which one?

YIXING points to the painting, XIUMIN turns his head towards the direction of Yixing's finger. CAMERA PANS to the painting.

CUT TO:

XIUMIN takes a breath, finally realizing what Yixing was talking about.

XIUMIN
Oh! That one?

CUT TO:

The painting is seen. Angry of blue paint, different shades of blue paint, made up the crashing waves on the yellow and brown shore. An orange sun is on the horizon, with a sky full of warm colours as its background.

CUT TO:

MEDIUM SHOT - XIUMIN AND YIXING

CAMERA is on Xiumin's left side, capturing most of Xiumin with Yixing on his far right.

XIUMIN smiles fondly at the painting.

XIUMIN
This tan-skin man, a painter,
the other day gave us that painting, as a gift.

YIXING gave another confused look.

YIXING
(confused)
Why would he do that?

CUT TO:

MEDIUM SHOT - XIUMIN

CAMERA is now in front of Xiumin. XIUMIN shrugs nonchalantly.

XIUMIN
I dunno, something about our coffee keeping him awake?

CAMERA ZOOMS OUT, taking Yixing into the frame.

XIUMIN laughs and walks away, leaving Yixing looking confused after him.

YIXING
Oh, okay... I guess.

CUT TO:

MEDIUM SHOT - XIUMIN'S BACK

XIUMIN stops in his tracks and quickly turns to face Yixing.

XIUMIN
(worriedly)
What? Does it bother you?

CUT TO:

MEDIUM SHOT - YIXING

YIXING shakes his head.

CUT TO:

CLOSE UP - XIUMIN

XIUMIN narrows his eyes.

XIUMIN
Then, are you okay? 
Have you seen this place before? Been there?

CUT TO:

CLOSE UP - YIXING

YIXING shakes his head again and looks down.

YIXING
No, it's nothing, Xiumin.
I'll get back to work.

YIXING grabs a bag of coffee beans and pours them into the coffee bean grinder.

CUT TO:

CLOSE UP - XIUMIN

XIUMIN squints his eyes, as if trying to get something out of Yixing. But he shakes his head and heads back to the kitchen.

FADE TO BLACK:

Sounds of cars HONKING, then zooming pass are heard.

FADE IN FROM BLACK:

INT. CAFE - 7:00 AM - FEB 5TH, 2012 - SEOUL

ESTABLISHING SHOT - CAFE

CAMERA is situated on the left side of the cafe. The sun is casting an orange light into the cafe. SOUNDS of cars zooming by and honking outside can be heard. Coffee is DRIPPING into the coffee pot, and a sweet fragrant of pastries drifts through the bakery.

CUT TO:

MEDIUM SHOT - YIXING

YIXING is cleaning the pastry display from behind the counter. The chimes near on the cafe door RINGS.

CUT TO:

LONG SHOT - JONGIN

CAMERA TILTS from Jongin's feet to his face, then establishes MEDIUM SHOT of Jongin.

JONGIN is wearing a sandy brown shirt with a black leather jacket on. His jeans are also black, with rips around his thighs and knees. His outfit is completed with black leather combat boots and silver studs in his ears. His wavy black hair shone bright under the morning sun, and his tan skin looked even darker, like a Greek god.

JONGIN suddenly looks up and smirks.

CUT TO:

MEDIUM SHOT - YIXING

YIXING gapes at the stranger at the entrance and gulps, suddenly conscious of his outfit, which consisted of a white shirt and tight blue jeans. The apron on top was decorated with white flour spots, and his hair was tousled, since he didn't have time to comb it that morning.

CUT TO:

MEDIUM SHOT - JONGIN

JONGIN chuckles and walks towards the register that Yixing was at. CAMERA DOLLIES back, focuses on Jongin.

OVER THE SHOULDER SHOT - JONGIN TO YIXING

YIXING
Good morning! Welcome to Sunset Cafe!
What would you like this morning?

CUT TO:

OVER THE SHOULDER SHOT - YIXING TO JONGIN

JONGIN looks up the menus, then back down at Yixing.

JONGIN
What's fresh right now?

CUT TO:

OVER THE SHOULDER SHOT - JONGIN TO YIXING

YIXING
Ummm...

CUT TO:

OVER THE SHOULDER SHOT - YIXING TO JONGIN

JONGIN bites his bottom lip, trying to not laugh at Yixing's adorable expression.

JONGIN
Just surprise me.

CUT TO:

VERY LONG SHOT - JONGIN AND YIXING

JONGIN turns and heads towards a nearby table. YIXING stands in his place, taken back, and wonders what to make for the tan-skin stranger.

CUT TO:

CLOSE UP - YIXING

YIXING sighs and turns towards the coffee machines.

CUT TO:

CLOSE UP - YIXING (WITH JONGIN IN THE BACKGROUND BUT NOT FOCUSED)

YIXING concentrates on making Jongin's drink, so he does not notice JONGIN staring at him the whole time.

CAMERA now focuses on Jongin in the background and unfocuses Yixing.

CUT TO:

CLOSE UP -JONGIN

JONGIN rests his chin on his laced fingers, stares ahead, and smirks.

FADES OUT:

MEDIUM SHOT - YIXING'S BACK

YIXING turns around and walks towards the counter, holding a freshly made drink.

YIXING
(loudly)
Sir! Your drink!

CUT TO:

CLOSE UP - JONGIN

JONGIN is startled from his trance, but nonetheless gets up and walks toward Yixing. CAMERA follows from the side with HAND-HELD SHOTS.

CUT TO:

OVER THE SHOULDER SHOT - YIXING TO JONGIN

JONGIN takes the cup and sips. He then looks up at Yixing.

JONGIN
Mmm... This is delicious, what is it?

CUT TO:

OVER THE SHOULDER SHOT - JONGIN TO YIXING

YIXING
Macchiato, just a regular macchiato.

CUT TO:

OVER THE SHOULDER SHOT - YIXING TO JONGIN

JONGIN hums in content, looks up to Yixing and silently thanked him. He then turns and walks out of the cafe.

CUT TO:

CLOSE UP - YIXING

YIXING stares after the man, then towards the register. After a few seconds, he frantically looked through the register. He looked up after searching for something.

YIXING
That bastard, he didn't pay for his coffee.

YIXING cries in defeat and lands his forehead on the register.

TIME CUT:

INT. CAFE - 3:00 PM - FEB 5TH, 2012 - SEOUL

MEDIUM SHOT - YIXING

CAMERA is on Yixing, while also taking in depth of the cafe inside.

YIXING is at the entrance of the cafe, head towards the inside, bidding goodbye to Xiumin.

YIXING
Bye Xiumin! See you tomorrow!

XIUMIN
See you tomorrow Yixing! Take care and sleep well!

YIXING
I will, Xiumin, you're not my dad sheesh...

XIUMIN
I'm still older than you.

YIXING
Yeah, whatever, bye!

YIXING turns around and walks out into the street.

CUT TO:

VERY LONG SHOT, LOW ANGLE - YIXING

CAMERA DOLLIES backward in front of Yixing.

YIXING walks through the neighbor that was filled with other cafes and grocery stores. Endless CHATTERS of middle-age ladies and car HORNS can be heard as he walked pass.

CUT TO:

CLOSE UP - YIXING

YIXING sighs as he turned the corner and walked through a dark alley. The chattering and the horns FADE OUT as he walked deeper into the alley. He then notices someone near his apartment door.

CAMERA follows Yixing's gaze and stops at a man eating ice cream, leaning against the dirty walls.

VERY LONG SHOT - YIXING'S FATHER, MR.ZHANG

MR.ZHANG looks up from his ice cream and stares at his son, then returns back to eating his ice cream. He looked tattered. His clothes were wrinkled and he face wasn't groomed. His pants look just as wrinkled and old. Mr.Zhang was only wearing the slippers that he would wear inside.

CUT TO:

CLOSE UP - YIXING

YIXING'S FACE scrunched up in disgust and YIXING scoffed. He turned toward his door and opened it.

CUT TO:

CLOSE UP - YIXING AND MR.ZHANG

MR.ZHANG
(softly)
Try cheering up your mom, alright?

YIXING stops his movements and turns toward his father.

CUT TO:

CLOSE UP - YIXING

YIXING
(gritting through teeth angrily)
What did you do to mom this time?

CUT TO:

OVER THE SHOULDER SHOT - YIXING TO MR.ZHANG

MR.ZHANG shrugged nonchalantly.

CUT TO:

CLOSE UP - YIXING

YIXING turns away from his father and heads upstairs.

FADE OUT:

FADE IN:

INT. APARTMENT - 4:00 PM - FEB 5TH, 2012 - SEOUL

OVER THE SHOULDER SHOT - YIXING

YIXING slowly opens his apartment room door and looks inside.

CAMERA ZOOMS IN to the room.

DISSOLVE/MIX:

CAMERA PANS through the house.

Uncooked and uncut vegetables were still on the kitchen counter.

WIPE:

Paintings and pictures were disarrayed on the wall.

WIPE:

Some furnitures were toppled over.

WIPE:

CLOSE UP - YIXING

YIXING scans around and locks unimpressed. This is definitely not the first time that he encountered this.

YIXING takes a step inside. CAMERA ZOOMS out and takes Yixing's mother, Mrs.Zhang, into the frame. Switches the focus from Yixing to his mother.

MRS.ZHANG is silently sobbing into her hands. Her elbows are on her knees and her shoulders are shaking. From some of her visible skin, there are several patches of purple, red, and black. Her hair is messy, as if someone pulled on it, and her clothes are disheveled.

CUT TO:

MEDIUM SHOT - YIXING

YIXING starts walking toward his room. CAMERA follows him from the side. As he walks past his mother, he reaches down and pats her back, reassuring her that everything will be alright.

CAMERA now follows Yixing from behind.

OVER THE SHOULDER SHOT - YIXING

YIXING stops in front of his room door and opens the door.

CUT TO:

CLOSE UP - YIXING

YIXING looks inside his room and sees his brother shaking on the bed. CAMERA follows the direction that his eyes are looking at.

CUT TO:

LONG SHOT - YIXING'S BROTHER

Yixing's brother, ZITAO, is curled up in fetal position, wearing only shorts and a tank top. There are traces of blood from his lips and on the bed sheets.

YIXING rushes over to the bed and shakes Zitao.

YIXING
(urgently)
Tao! Zitao! Taozi! Wake up! Are you okay?

ZITAO tries to respond to his brother, but starts coughing up more blood.

CUT TO:

EXTREME CLOSE UP - YIXING

Yixing worriedly stares at his brother, not knowing what to do and what happened.

YIXING
What happened, Didi?

CUT TO:

CLOSE UP - ZITAO

ZITAO opens his eyes and stares ahead.

ZITAO
(weakly)
I tried to defend mom. They were fighting,
and father somehow drew out a knife.
I stopped him and made him drop the knife,
but I got cut on my left arm in the process.
Then, he ran out.

CUT TO:

CLOSE UP - YIXING

YIXING stares at his brother, surprised. But he quickly drew out his phone and called "911."

YIXING
Hello, can you send an ambulance?
(pause) Yes, my brother is bleeding a lot from his left arm.
(pause) Our address is Room 412,
2012 Broadway Street. (pause) Thank you.

CUT TO:

CLOSE UP, HIGH ANGLE - ZITAO

ZITAO reaches out to Yixing

ZITAO
Was that necessary?

CUT TO:

MEDIUM SHOT, LOW ANGLE - YIXING

YIXING holds the hand on his cheek.

YIXING
Well, duh, Tao.
What if that knife had bad bacteria
that could kill off your arm?
You wouldn't want that right?

CUT TO:

CLOSE UP - ZITAO

ZITAO
I mean I guess...

CUT TO:

MEDIUM SHOT, LOW ANGLE - YIXING

Ambulance SIRENS and knuckles RAPPING on their front door are heard. YIXING turns his head towards the sound.

YIXING
Well, looks like they're here.

YIXING turns towards Zitao.

YIXING
I'll visit you as soon as possible, okay?

CUT TO:

CLOSE UP, HIGH ANGLE - ZITAO

ZITAO nods and gets up with his brother's help.

FADE TO BLACK:

FADE IN FROM BLACK:

EXT. APARTMENT - 4:30 PM - FEB 5TH, 2012 - SEOUL

OVER THE SHOULDER SHOT - YIXING

YIXING watches the doctors take Zitao away to the hospital. He then turns around.

YIXING
Are you happy now?

CUT TO:

LONG SHOT - MR.ZHANG

MR.ZHANG is no longer eating an ice cream cone, but just leaning against the apartment complex walls.

MR.ZHANG
Happy about what?

CUT TO:

MEDIUM SHOT - YIXING

YIXING
You know what I'm talking about.

YIXING starts walking towards Mr.Zhang, the CAMERA dollies backward with Yixing.

YIXING
(in an angry crescendo)
You hurt my brother, who's your son.
You damaged my mother, who's your wife!
Why are you doing this to us?
Are we not your family!?

CUT TO:

MEDIUM SHOT - YIXING AND MR.ZHANG

YIXING takes long strides towards his father and grabs him by the collar.

CAMERA QUICKLY ZOOMS IN.

EXTREME CLOSE UP - YIXING AND MR.ZHANG

MR.ZHANG
And what do you want, son?

YIXING
Don't call me your "son,"
I don't have a father like you.

MR.ZHANG
Well too bad.

MR.ZHANG swings a punch into Yixing's right cheek.

EXTREME LONG SHOT, LOW ANGLE - YIXING AND MR.ZHANG

YIXING glares up at Mr.Zhang and swings a punch into Mr.Zhang's face as well. The two continues to throw punches at each other, as there was no one to stop either of them. And with the ROARING of cars outside the alleyway, no one could hear them.

YIXING falls when Mr.Zhang punches him directly in the stomach, clutching his stomach.

CUT TO:

LONG SHOT, LONG ANGLE - MR.ZHANG

MR.ZHANG smirks at the broken boy in front of him on the ground. He reaches into Yixing's back pocket and pulls out his wallet. MR.ZHANG takes out all the bills inside and throws the empty wallet onto Yixing's body.

MR.ZHANG
Thanks... Son.

CUT TO:

CLOSE UP - YIXING

YIXING groans in agony as he clutches on to his stomach.

JONGIN'S VOICE
Hey, do you need some help?

YIXING turns his head to the voice.

CUT TO:

EXTREME LONG SHOT - JONGIN

JONGIN smirks.

JONGIN
I knew there was something wrong
when I saw purple patches
behind your poorly put-on concealer
this morning.

JONGIN walks towards Yixing's body and puts out his hand.

LOW ANGLE - JONGIN

JONGIN
Let me take you to the hospital.

CUT TO:

MEDIUM SHOT - YIXING

YIXING weakly reaches out to hold Jongin's hand, and faints when he finally reached the warm tan-skin hand of Jongin.