Prologue

Back Home

The tall lean figure cut into the early morning mist. His stride was swift and relaxed as he made his way to the bus station carrying nothing except a small suitcase. The same one from three years ago. At that time it carried nothing but clothes. Today the contents within carried a story and an anthology of memories. Memories of people he had grown to love and cherish.

He paused in an instant and let the mist engulf and settle around him as he let out a small smile.

"Until where are you planning on following me?" His Japanese pronunciation was no where near perfect but he had managed to grasp the language enough to at least hold conversations. That was enough.

A small warm hand grabbed onto his chilled hand. The gesture made his smile become a bigger grin.

"Jung-oppa..," the young girl said as she tugged at his arm. "Are you really leaving?"

Jung finally turned around and faced the two kids. Kneeling down he faced the girl, ruffled her hair, and pulled her hoodie over her head.

"Oppa?" he repeated slowly. "Mitsuko, how come you only remember that word." She looked at him with wide confused eyes. The same look she gave him whenever he had tried to teach her Korean.

"Yes, I have to go now but I'll come visit you. Remember? I promised yesterday." He got up without letting go of her hand and directed his attention to the boy. He was older by three years but at the moment his face was as vulnerable as his younger sister's.

"Make sure you keep your promise." Jung nodded and pointed to the bag the boy held.

"What's that, Yasuhiro?"

"Ah our mom made this for you this morning...your favorite. For the trip."

Jung stretched out his free hand and grabbed the bag. "Tell her I'll eat it well."

A short silence followed as the three individuals stared at each other. Neither knew what to say and yet they all knew the sentiment that tied them together. A bond that Jung had never expected to experience again in his life. These children were part of it.

He broke the silence with an exaggerated sigh. "Ahh, what will you two do without me, huh?" He faced Mitsuko and pulled their intertwined hands up in the air. "Call me once you two get off school. Speaking of school you two better hurry or you'll be late."

Mitsuko pulled her hand away and clapped in surprise. "Right!"

"We'll leave once we see you walk into the station," Yasuhiro said as he retook possession of his sister's hand.

Jung nodded and smiled. A part of his heart longed to drop his suitcase right then and there and walk off with the kids. Back home.

But he knew he couldn't. There were things he had to do. People he had to see.

Bracing his heart he dug up the courage to take hold of his suitcase, turn, and slowly walk towards the station's doors. He didn't look back until he was already inside.

There they were. They stood there waving at him. So this is what it feels like. To have someone send you off. Throughout his life he had traveled on several occasions but there had never been a time when someone had sent him off. It had always been him. Just him. He would always look around hoping that maybe, just maybe, someone would be there. Every glance just pierced his lonely heart.

Once again it was these kids who gave him the things he most cherished. As trivial as they could seem, for him they were precious.

He gestured at them with his hand to hurry and go their way. The kids flashed him one last smile before skipping off to school.

Thank you. For being my light and giving me peace.

A voice coming out of the speakers broke his thoughts, informing passengers of the bus that was about to pull out. He scurried through the people and found a seat by a window.

Jung placed the bag Yasuhiro had given him on the empty spot beside him, took the container out, and unlatched the lid off. Of course. My favorite. A vibration in his jacket pocket diverted his attention. He pulled out his phone and stared at the small icon at the top of the screen. An icon that had become so important for him in the past three years. He had an email.

Many times he would open it and realize it was nothing of importance. Spam. But the milliseconds that it took for him to open his email app were always full of hope.

Is it her? Did she send an email again?

Unfortunately for him, in the past months that hope had been mixed with fear and anxiety. The emails came less often. The subjects became less personal. There was definitely a change and it filled him with fear. It was selfish of him but he longed for every email just as much as he did after the first one had come through.

With reluctance he opened his app, afraid of what he would see. In a glance he read the subject of the email. Short.

He looked to the side as he saw the landscape slowly start to pass by and stay behind. Diverting his gaze ever so slightly he saw his own reflection in the window. Who was he looking at now?

In a whisper he repeated the words he had read on the email's subject line. Have you been well?

"Yes, Seol-ah. I've been well," he whispered as he focused his attention to the now miniature figures running up a small hill.

"They're late."

He smiled. He knew he'd receive a reprimand from their mom over the phone. She'd probably regret sending the food.

Jung looked over at the container and held it in place as the bus went over a bump in the road. Best to cover it until he actually ate it. He took one last look at its contents before securing the lid and carefully placing it back in its bag. He closed his eyes and thought of how delicious his next meal would be. It had to be; after all it was his favorite.

Homemade kimbab.

Seol-ah, wanna have a meal together?