need you here on the passenger side

Midnight Drive

It becomes part of their routine. Embedded into their bodies like music thrumming through their veins. It's not often that they do this but they indulge every second.

It's always on nights where Jungkook is restless. Even in Seokjin's tired state, he doesn't care. He probably shouldn't be driving when he's tired, but he has enough energy to entertain Jungkook for a little while. It'd usually be after a stressed-filled schedule that they'd borrow the van after the others head home. Their manager doesn't have a problem with it, too tired to protest, he just makes them promise to drive safely and return scratch free. Both the car and themselves. The other members don't really question it, they all want to shower and sleep and they say the same thing as their manager. Only once has someone brought it up, Namjoon has inquired about it in the past, what the two of them do at night. Seokjin's doesn't even know, they don't do much at all.

He likes this, driving to different parts of the city, enjoying each other's company. The radio's at a low hum, tuned to a station that can easily lull him to sleep if he's too stationary. Occasionally a voice announces the change in hour, but Seokjin doesn't keep track of how long they're out until it's become too late. He starts setting an alarm to remind them to return so they can have enough sleep.

He likes summers the best, it's warm, even with the windows rolled down. The soft summer breeze filters through the van, and it feels nice on his skin and hair. Cooling but not enough to provoke a chill. They stop by a convenience store to grab a few snacks and drinks before they drive to their usual spot by the river. It's a nice change in pace, their lives being a flurry of interview questions, camera flashes, and people ushering them from one place to another. Even in the span of one or two hours, it feels so much longer than those allotted times.

They share snacks, quiet stories, and shy glances throughout the night. It's not awkward, it's never awkward, it's comfortable but Seokjin can't help but notice the way Jungkook looks likes he always has something to say. It's even after his long winded tangents that Jungkook wants to say more. Perhaps one day, Seokjin will know what Jungkook wants to say.

They watch as the waves ebb and several lights in the city dim and flicker off as the night wears on. It's quiet, but it's not as eerily quiet as their dorm at night, they can talk at a normal volume but they whisper anyways. Seokjin is afraid that if he speaks too loudly, the illusion will break. It's as if all of this wasn't real and he had just passed out from exhaustion and stress. It's probably just a dream, a constant dream that happens every so often and Seokjin feels comforted by the fact that it's not a bad dream. It's all too perfect with the way how normal it all seems.

Perhaps normal people don't go out for midnight drives with their friends often, but to Seokjin, this is the closest they can have to privacy. Away from everyone else, even in their own dorm, they could never find privacy. They're out in the open but it's so quiet that it seems almost intimate. They forget the cameras, they forget about the residual makeup on their faces, they forget about the expectations they have to live up to.

They're normal.

"Jungkook." He says, and even the way he says the boy's name seems normal. He's not sure why, maybe it's the way he almost whispers it, differing from the times he's scolding the younger or asking the younger to do something.

Jungkook hums in acknowledgement. His head barely shifts on Seokjin's lap, having found his thighs a comfortable pillow. Seokjin doesn't mind it when Jungkook uses him as a pillow, perhaps it'll ease Jungkook to a sleepy state. It's whole reason why they have these drives, to burn out the rest of Jungkook's energy. Except that was the initial reason, now they do it because they want to, because they like to.

"My legs are going numb." Seokjin prods a finger, poking at the younger's cheek and Jungkook turns so his face his half pressed into Seokjin's thigh. Jungkook groans, swatting at Seokjin's hand. It takes a few moments until Jungkook sits up, hair sticking up in forty different directions.

Seokjin stands up, stretching his entire body. Jungkook tugs at his pant leg, urging Seokjin to sit back down because he wants his pillow back. Seokjin settles back down onto the grass, legs outstretched back to his previous position. They should probably leave soon, it's getting late and signs of drowsiness are beginning to hit both of them. Jungkook lets out a yawn as he rests his head back onto Seokjin's thigh.

Seokjin doesn't know when his fingers find their way into Jungkook's hair, petting at the soft locks absentmindedly. He doesn't dare to brush his fingers too harshly, they both haven't showered yet and the copious amounts of hairspray and heat protectant and other products leave bits of their hair tangled and sticky. They watch the river in silence, conversations have died down not too long ago, and even if the scenery barely shifts, the lull is relaxing.

 

Sometimes, they don't head to the river. Sometimes, they drive around Seoul, finding parks and sitting down at picnic tables or swing sets. The scenery is different, but the atmosphere is all the same. There's more cars and sounds but between them it's the same and that's all that matters.

Sometimes, when they have time, they drive to the outskirts of town. Away from the noise, away from the city lights and the air pollution. They watch the stars, they're so much brighter without the cityscape obscuring their view. Neither of them recognize any of the stars or constellations, they don't even know what's visible during what time of day or year. Seokjin makes a mental note to buy a book about stars so they can bring it with them the next time they drive out of town.

Seokjin watches the stars, but he watches Jungkook more.

Jungkook watches the stars, eyes glistening as if reflecting the specs of lights above. It's as if the stars above are the most beautiful things he's ever seen in this world. They're not. Stars aren't of this world, they're too far away and Seokjin wants to slap himself when the thought crosses his mind but it's true. Jungkook is bright and beautiful and a star, and Seokjin grimaces at how cliché it sounds.

This is the closest Seokjin's been to a star, all celebrities be damned. But Jungkook isn't just some celebrity, it's as if he was in some cosmic level worlds different from everyone else. Jungkook is the boy he's watched grow up over the years. He doesn't feel the same infatuation as he does when he sees his favourite singers in real life, but he's infatuated by Jungkook in a different way. He's seen both the good and bad of Jungkook, every flaw the boy lets slip but that's what makes Jungkook so real, so normal to him. It's during their drives when he really sees the Jeon Jungkook not many have seen. He's just another teenager.

They all have manufactured smiles, and it's the perfection that everyone exudes that makes the entire industry seem like a scam.

Seokjin's experienced what it's like to be really close to a star. It's times when Jungkook leans in to rest his head on his too bony shoulders or when he pulls Jungkook into an embrace when the younger would seek comfort. He feels the warmth. Jungkook's a star, but Seokjin doesn't feel the scorch of rays the sun emits on summer days. He feels the warmth of lazy spring afternoon naps accompanied by the lull of rainy autumn nights whispering words in the wind. Even when a too early winter chill braces Jungkook's skin, Seokjin feels the warmth radiating off the boy.

He doesn't know how long he's been staring at Jungkook but he's forgotten about the bag of potato chips in his hands. Jungkook's gaze flickers over to Seokjin and Seokjin feels like he's been staring for way too long.

"What?" Jungkook blinks at him owlishly, "Do I have something on my face?"

"No." Seokjin shrugs, taking the opportunity to turn his gaze away in search for his bottled drink.

"You said you wanted to watch the stars," He snatches the bag of chips out of Seokjin's hands, "But I didn't think you meant me."

"I see you every day. You're not that special."

"Not that special." Jungkook echos with a mouthful of chips.

"You sure are something, alright."

 

The rain doesn't stop them. It's autumn and on rainy days they drive to their usual spot by the river. There's a parking space that gives them a good enough view of the cityscape and the waves crashing as the rain hits the surface.

Amidst the chaos outside, it's tranquil inside the car. Sometimes, they leave the radio on, tuned to a comforting channel of acoustic guitars and indie voices. Other times, it's just silence. The car is filled with sound of rain pattering against the windows, the rustle of their clothes when they move to grab some snacks or their hot drinks, and their quiet breathing fogging up the insides of the windows. It's a change from humid summer nights, the car isn't too cold but Seokjin occasionally turns on the heat for a while before turning it back off so they don't suffocate from carbon monoxide.

Condensation begins to fog the car and rain drops blur the view of the city and river. The windows become a blank canvas and Jungkook reaches out to draw a smiley face on the window. If Seokjin could see his actual reflection on the windows, it must be parallel to the drawing. He doesn't dare to glance at the rear view mirror, knowing full well of what his reflection actually looks like.

His makeup probably looks like it's been on his face far too long. Eyeliner smudged, and oily spots beginning to show through. Underneath all that, they both know each others' bare faces. There's visible signs of stress laced across their skin, tiredness under their eyes and in a few hours, Seokjin muses that they'll both need to shave. Even in Jungkook's youth, Seokjin's starting to see the crow's feet tug at the corner of Jungkook's eyes. It's not too visible, but Seokjin can see a few lines when the younger smiles brightly. In a few years, Jungkook might look even more worn and tired than Seokjin currently is and Seokjin can't help but to think how easily their youth fades. Seokjin doesn't want to know what he'll look like in the future years.

The drawings quickly fade, and the mix of rain and condensation obscures the city lights, creating various colour of bokeh through the windows. Seokjin glances over to Jungkook and even under all the stress, the lights dance prettily across his skin, illuminating his face. He seems ethereal, like the world hasn't braced a single finger on him and Seokjin can't help but to think that it's all a lie.

Jungkook turns to Seokjin and it's the usual question asked, "Why are you staring?"

Seokjin doesn't know. He just smiles, and props his elbow on the middle compartment. He rests his chin on his hand and his stare doesn't falter. Jungkook scowls in response, pushing Seokjin's face towards a different direction but Seokjin doesn't budge.

"Don't be creepy."

"There's nothing else to look at." Seokjin's eyes flicker out the window for half a second and Jungkook turns to look at the glass. Jungkook turns to face him again, mimicking Seokjin, seeing if the older male would feel uncomfortable with someone gazing back at him. Seokjin doesn't seem to be fazed, and Jungkook cracks not too long after, muttering about how weird his hyung is.

 

Winter is different.

Not much different from autumn, but when the snow finally hits, it becomes too cold for their midnight drives. The van isn't able to handle the thick blanket of snow that graces across the city. The clouds are thick with an orangey glow, reflecting the lights from street lamps and cars. It's an unflattering colour and Seokjin thinks it's just as gross as week old snow.

Driving out of town isn't an option, their van isn't able to handle the terrain and paths they take. There's nothing to look at out there either, it's just white upon white upon white. Driving around isn't fun in the snow either, every driver seemingly more angry than usual. The thought of having to drive through snow is unappealing, even if they aren't driving through snow. The roads are cleared from constant use and plenty of road salt.

Seokjin doesn't like the cold. He doesn't mind it being a little chilly but he's accustomed to Jungkook's warmth. He doesn't even remember what cold really feels like, but it's when they're both in bed that he realizes he misses Jungkook's warmth.

Jungkook seems to have the same idea, and Seokjin isn't surprised when he hears the door creak or the blankets shift. Seokjin rolls over a bit, giving Jungkook some room as the younger slips in beside him.

They don't say anything, not wanting break the silence or disturb anyone. Seokjin can tell Jungkook is feeling restless, with the way the younger shifts every few minutes to find a comfortable position on the bed. The bed is too small for two people, but they make do, he pulls Jungkook closer by the waist and the younger stills his movements. Jungkook finally relaxes when Seokjin smooths his hand across his back, soothing the younger to sleep.

The only sound that Jungkook makes is the exhale of the breath he's been holding and a quiet, "Good night."