Chapter 1

Born to Beat: Demon edition

 

 

"CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK PANG PANG CLANK!!!" I was jerked awake by the sound of metal pots clashing with each other. That's the usual way the kitchen ahjumas wake us up. 

I got up and quickly change into my assigned uniform. I put on my leather boots and quickly head towards the shared utility area. I opened a tap and washed myself before rushing towards the assembly hall. 

I was panting hard as I got into the hall and fell into my line, the very back of Born to Beat AKA BTOB. Peniel was in front of me and he snorted as soon as he noticed me. I shrugged it off as it had always been that way. 

"Attention! Now I will read out your assigned duty for the day. Doojoon......" Our commander started his everyday routine while I tuned him out and looked outside the window and saw two birds happily chirping while flying around freely. That brought out a smile on my face, oh just how much I envy those little fellas.....

"Changsub!" 

I was snapped back into reality as I looked down at my boots, scared that I'll get into trouble.

"Her Royal Highness, Princess Jihye's bodyguard." Wait, what?! 

I was stunned as all eyes turned to me and I can feel all of their demonic aura waiting to pounce on me. Oh boy, that did it. Now I'll be in for a hell of a week.

"Y...yes sir." I answered timidly which the commander only shook his head at.

I'm doomed.

 

-PAGE BREAK-

 

So, the princess is here. Since when?! Must've been the week when I was out of commission after a terrible flogging for being careless while escorting the silk! But wait, what the hell is going on?! Why am I assigned to her as her bodyguard?! The others are all more qualified than I am! what if I do something wrong and get into more trouble than the one I'm facing now??? OMG I don't want to die!!! I'm freaking out! Changsub ah, be calm and do your job. Be calm and you'll be fine. Breathe in, breathe out. Whoooo you're a demon, Changsub, you shouldn't be FREAKING OUT!! 

I collected myself and walked towards the princess' room. I bowed to the guard sunbae there and stood outside the door as he left. I was fidgeting with my feet as I waited nervously for the princess to be ready. 

Then suddenly, the door opened and her Royal Highness walked out of the room. I immediately went onto one knee and kept my eyes on the ground as I greeted her.

"My Royal highness, good morning." 


-PAGE BREAK- 

~Jihye's POV~


As I walked out from the bathroom, I heard a timid voice greeting the guard standing outside. My guess was, it's the seventh member of BTOB. I got into my dress in a blink of an eye and casually walked out of my bedroom. 

The boy suddenly kneeled and greeted.

"My Royal highness, good morning." 

I eyed him from head to toe. He's wearing really little for the weather. The leather harness (thriller photo shoot) on him clued me into guessing that he's unable to control his power fully. His mop of slightly unkept hair and scrawny body piqued my interest. 

"Ah, you must be the seventh candidate. Please, do rise and introduce yourself."

"Ah? Neh. Joneun Changsub imnida!" He had a wide smile as he bowed again. Cute.

I can already feel that something is different with this one.

"Nice to meet you Changsub shii."


-PAGE BREAK-

~Changsub's POV~


Hmm, seventh candidate? For what??? Heol?! Husband?! 

I was so shocked that I failed to notice the princess had stopped in her track and bumped straight into her. 

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry my Royal highness! I'm really sorry!" I bowed again and again, trying my best to look really apologetic.

"It's alright. Tell me, what was distracting you?" 

I was surprised at her calm gentleness and tilted my head. 

"I won't bite, Changsub shii. You can tell me." 

Now that was the first time someone has ever been so gentle to me around here. Not only did she not get angry, but she still cared about what's bothering me. 

"Uhm, I'm not sure what's going on right now. And your highness said earlier that I'm the seventh candidate. But I'm not quite sure what that means." I've decided to leave the husband part out as I didn't want to get sentenced to death immediately.

"You mean, you weren't notified about that? Well, as I've just returned from my mother's homeland, abeoji had decided to appoint me a personal bodyguard. I was to choose among the seven members of BTOB and will get to have them as my bodyguard for one day each before making my decision tomorrow. You, are the last candidate." 

Oh, now I see. But still, I will be the last person she'll ever pick as her bodyguard. 

"So now that you've known, why do you think I should pick you?" We were heading towards the bazaar when she suddenly threw the question at me. 

"There's no reason for your highness to choose me because I know I would never be chosen."
I replied honestly.
 
She stopped and motion for me to continue.

"I'm the youngest and the weakest demon out here. I've only been turned 6 months ago and has yet to complete my training. All the others have special abilities while I have none." I hung my head low, ashamed of myself.

She seemed to study me for a while before speaking.

"But you're still in BTOB, one of the kingdom's finest warriors. You must be capable of something." And with that she walked on with me within touching distance.

She was kind and beautiful as she humbly greeted the people and talked to them. Then out of nowhere, an out of control stallion appeared and was striding crazily towards the princess. Before I could think, my reflexes reacted by jumping right in between them but the strong impact of the stallion was numbed by the pulling and twisting of my muscles.

 

Notes:here's chapter one. Hope you guys like it! Btw, Jihye is older than Changsub so he'll be calling her noona if their relationship ever get's closer. As you can probably tell, the other BTOB members do not like poor Changsub but I'll try not to make them so evil to the point of being hated. I swear I still love all the boys so don't worry about their scree time XDD. BTOB hwaiting!! *waiting patiently for their comeback!*