One

The Way You Smile






 

Baekhyun hates the weekends, mostly because all of the little brats are out of school so families are taking them to Wendy’s for a ‘treat’. He doesn’t know why people call it a treat when he has to put up with children whining and crying and screaming and throwing things that he’ll have to clean up later and just generally being difficult. It’s stuffy and Baekhyun hates sweating even more than he hates being around crying children but he has to put up with it so he can stay in college.

 

Even though he wishes he could drop of college, Baekhyun knows how much he needs to do well in college if he ever wants to be a vocal coach. Studying for his upcoming music exam has drained a lot from Baekhyun. Revision wouldn’t be a problem for some, but unfortunately Baekhyun is one of those people who are easily distracted. He tried to solve this problem by studying in the living room of his and Chanyeol’s dorm room so he’s away from things that would normal steal his attention (See: Laptop, Keyboard.).

 

Of course, luck doesn’t seem to like Baekhyun that much and decided getting Chanyeol a boyfriend who’s always and has the stamina of a ing horse was a brilliant way to help him study.

 

Sehun’s a good kid but Baekhyun doesn’t like him enough to enjoy the sounds of his through the annoyingly thin walls of the dorm. So, the next best option was to set up a study corner in the library or café.

 

It doesn’t help much. How could he possibly study when he was in a room full of trashy romance novels just begging to be read? Or when he’s surrounded by delicious chocolate cakes that have his name written all over them?

Baekhyun sighed, realising he probably has to take refuge in the café down the road yet again. He just can’t catch a break.

 

The door to Wendy’s opened rather loudly and Baekhyun looked up to see the answer to his prayers. Waltzing in, was the most gorgeous man he has ever seen.

His short black hair contrasted his milky white skin that had Baekhyun trying not to drool.

Baekhyun’s eyes settles onto his plush and very kissable lips. He was sure that if he ever got close enough to kiss the hot stranger, he’d never stop. Looking even lower (Baekhyun is very shameless sometimes), he was extremely glad to notice that the hot stranger was wearing a low cut tank top that showcased delectable collarbones-another thing Baekhyun wouldn’t mind kissing at all.

 

He prayed to every god he could think of begging to let him serve this cute stranger. Though, Baekhyun wondered why he was a stranger; they looked about the same age so it’s likely the guy could attend the same college as Baekhyun.

 

He turned to his co-worker and only friend in this hell hole (The manager is an , to be honest) Jongin, who was being shouted at by a customer. The poor kid looked like he was about to wet himself, so Baekhyun took it upon himself to be the nice hyung and stepped in.

 

“Is there a problem, sir?” He put on the sweetest voice he could, flashing his signature ‘I’m the boy you want your daughter to date’ smile and he didn’t miss the look of appreciation Jongin shot his way.

 

“Yes. Yes there is. I cannot believe an establishment that prides itself on customer service has the audacity to not keep stock of hamburger relish!” The short, stumpy man in front of the boys shouted with an air of breathlessness.

Baekhyun could see the customers starting to get impatient and watch the disruption as a form of distraction.

Please don’t let hot guy see this. Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease.

 

“I’m sorry, sir, but we can’t help it if the truck that delivers our hamburger relish broke down.” Baekhyun tried his best to keep himself from having a breakdown right then and there, hoping the man would go away with little disturbance.

 

He didn’t understand why he was so hellbent on getting hamburger relish, it’s not like it’s the end of the world if the burger is a little dry. Couldn’t he order something else? Go to a different fast food place (there’s plenty around in this part of the city)? Just deal with the fact the burger is going to be a little dry? Is that so hard?

The man, who was looking more and more like a tomato as the seconds ticked by, shouted a few more curse words before storming out of the building. Jongin let out a sigh of relief and Baekhyun took the opportunity to find out about the hot stranger that had walked in moments ago.

 

“Hey, do you know who that guy is? I haven’t seen him before.” Baekhyun asked, as he bagged up his customer’s order, trying to sound casual and keep his pointing as discrete as possible.

 

Jongin looked like a puppy as he furrowed his brows and attempted to find who Baekhyun was pointing at.

After a few moments’ delay, a look of recognition passed over the younger’s face and he nodded.

 

“Yeah, he’s a dance major like me. Really good.”

 

Baekhyun had to restrain himself from falling to the floor because he’s a dancer and I should not be having the thoughts I’m having in the middle of a place crowded with children.

 

‘Oh’ was all the shorter supplied, however, faking indifference. The last thing he needed was Jongin finding out about his attraction towards the dancer. Jongin may look sweet but he’s actually a little and he will use it against Baekhyun-he has done in the past.

 

(They don’t speak about the time Jongin found out that Baekhyun had a wet dream of Minseok once. Everyone found out because Jongin can’t keep a secret and Baekhyun refused clean his dorm & do his laundry for a month. Baekhyun may have been desperate, but he wasn’t that desperate. Minseok still jokes about it to this day.)

 

Baekhyun turned back to the next customer, only to be met with the face of the god (as Baekhyun has named him) he was asking about moments ago. He’s even hotter up close. .

 

You can’t this up Baek. Deep breaths. Smile. Try not to look like Junmyeon after a little kid kicked him in the balls & he still attempted to smile at the parents.

 

“Hi,” Baekhyun cringed at the slight crack in his voice, but if the god noticed it didn’t show on his face.

 

“Hi,” The guy smiled back and Goddamnit he has dimples how is this legal. There was a moment of awkward silence and Baekhyun cleared his voice to break it so he could focus on something other than the fact the stranger was looking at him with that damn smile.

 

“Ho-How can I help you?” He blurted out, mentally slapping himself for stuttering.

 

The taller hummed, pretending to think about his answer before letting his smile grow wider.

 

“Can I have a smile?”

 

“Is-” Wait. What?

 

Did this hot, tall (well...taller than Baekhyun at least), dancer with very nice collar bones just ask for a smile? How could someone so hot say something so...-dare Baekhyun admit it-cute?

 

For some unfortunate reason, Baekhyun found the whole situation more amusing than he should have. Perhaps the embarrassment he felt too tipped him over the edge and he bursted out into a fit of giggles. Yes. Giggles.

 

The people in the building sent the two men curious looks as Baekhyun giggled into his palm and the dancer was biting his lip and having a hard time suppressing his own laugh because the brunette had such infectious giggles.

 

After a few moments, Baekhyun managed to calm himself into just smiling but the smile soon morphed into a slightly uncomfortable one under the gaze of the man stood before him. He shifted, unsure of where to go from there.

 

Luckily, the dancer broke the weird atmosphere between them

 

“Thanks. This was a dare, but I’m glad I did it because I got to see your smile.”

 

Baekhyun thought that was utter bull because, has he never seen his own smile? He would’ve asked him that too, but his brain to mouth filter seems to be on the fritz and he ended up saying ‘you have a nice smile too’.

 

The man then thanked him, sporting an annoyingly hot half smile and Baekhyun willed his legs to remain working.

 

“So...are you gonna order anything?” He prompted, desperate to leave this situation because he’s starting to match the loud red of his uniform shirt; he also kind of doesn’t want this stranger to leave. Ugh.

 

“Depends...” His head titled slightly, his voice putting on an innocent yet playful air “Are you on the menu?”

 

Baekhyun’s heart did not skip a beat. That was an awful line and does this guy have no shame?!

 

He tried to keep his demeanor calm, collected and unimpressed so naturally he scoffed which triggered the muscles in his face to lose control like the always seem to do in situations like this and contort into a smile.

 

“That was incredibly cheesey.” Was all he said, deciding to keep some of his dignity by not outright saying it was a terrible line whilst smiling (damn it, Byun.).

 

“But you’re smiling,” The dancer wore a cheshire grin, looking far too comfortable for Baekhyun’s liking since the brunette himself was most definitely not. It wasn’t necessarily a bad kind of uncomfortable. “I’ll just take 3 Cokes, please.”

 

The grin never left his lips until he was out of Baekhyun sight, but it remained in Baekhyun’s mind.

 

Apparently, it was pretty obvious too because Baekhyun’s roommate managed to notice and when Park Chanyeol can tell you’re crushing then you know everyone else can. He loved Yeol, he really did, but the boy seemed to live in a very small bubble - it took him weeks to notice that Minseok and LuHan were dating and they didn’t even bother to hide it (Baekhyun didn’t appreciate the make-out sessions when he was trying to eat lunch).

 

Baekhyun was attempting to read ‘Lord of the Flies’ (the book his literature class had been assigned to write an essay on) but his thoughts kept wandering to a certain dimpled stranger with a twinkle in his pretty eyes. The black haired boy couldn’t fight the small smile the forced its way onto his lips which, much to Baekhyun’s annoyance, didn’t go unnoticed by the demon that haunts him...Chanyeol.

 

“You’re not behaving like Mr Snuffles...are you okay?”

 

Mr Snuffles was Chanyeol’s pet gerbil. Terrifying creature: it seemed to have a permanent glare and never hesitated to try and rip off your fingers if you got too close to it. The first time Baekhyun met the thing, he’d asked if it had rabies and then immediately regretted it once he saw the look on Chanyeol’s face. How someone could love such an awful creature is beyond Baekhyun. Then again, he’s grateful because otherwise Chanyeol would’ve never put up with him, Baekhyun thought as he threw his pillow at the aforementioned giant and shot a look of distaste his way for good measure.

 

“No.”

 

“Shut up, Baekhyun. I can tell when you lie.” Chanyeol teased, completely forgetting the pillow that had been thrown at him, instead taking revenge in this newly discovered piece of information.

 

“I’m not lying, Park.” The shorter spat, refusing to meet the others’ eyes. Park - as Baekhyun is now calling him - sat up a little straighter, his eyes lighting up in realisation.

 

“It’s a guy, isn’t it?” Chanyeol didn’t bother hiding the smirk that found itself on his face.

 

“...”

 

“I knew it! Byun Baekhyun, look at you! Finally gonna get laid in, like....what was it? 20 years? A century? A mi-” Baekhyun let out a noise akin to a growl before throwing his other pillow at Chanyeol, who this time saw it coming and managed to duck in time.

 

“You have 5 seconds to shut the up or your Rilakkuma dolls will ‘mysteriously’ end up in the river behind the college.”

 

Chanyeol gave a pout that shouldn’t suit a 24 year old, 6 foot tall male and whined but said no more.

 

Baekhyun sighed.

 

“If you’re that desperate to know, since your life is apparently so uneventful and boring you have to barge into mine, this guy came in today and ordered a smile. What sort of person does that? It’s so weird, but so amusing - that’s why I was smiling. Not because I like him.”

 

The other was silent for a few awkward moments of silence with a dumb look on his face before his features contorted into a look of recognition.

 

“That’s probably Yixing, the guy who majors in dancing with Jongin and Sehun.” Chanyeol nodded, his eyebrows furrowing and Baekhyun made a mental note of the name. “Sehun had dared him to do that. Wow, I didn’t think he’d actually do it though...” The male trailed off, suddenly lost in thought.

 

“I can’t believe you know the hot dan-” Baekhyun stopped himself from saying anymore after realising he was speaking out loud. That caught Chanyeol’s attention, unfortunately for Baekhyun. The younger’s gaze was suddenly focused on Baekhyun, a sly smile on his face and the look in his eyes.

 

(The last time Chanyeol had the look in his eyes, Jongdae and Baekhyun were made to scrub the entire kitchen with toothbrushes because Chanyeol thought it would be a good idea for them to buy as many bottles of Coke as they could, shake them up and add mentos before letting them loose in the college kitchen.

 

Jongdae gave Chanyeol the silent treatment for a week after that. Baekhyun would’ve done the same if he didn’t live with the .

 

Life was cruel. Chanyeol not being caught even though the idea was his is just an example - Although it’s hard to blame the teachers when it’s usually Baekhyun of Jongdae coming up with these ideas and not Chanyeol. Chanyeol usually just joined in, never came up with the ideas. He had his moments though.)

 

Baekhyun groaned.

 

“Is this going to get us arrested?”

 

Chanyeol’s smile just widened.



 

Yixing’s smile had been permanent the entire day and it was starting to freak Luhan out. His roommate was generally a happy person and smiled quite a bit normally but, despite what many people believe, he’s also generally very focused when working or studying: which is what he’s supposed to be doing right now.

 

The book that was sat in front of him, however, has been on the same page for about an hour - the 1st page. Luhan was beginning to worry if he was sick or something, it wasn’t like Yixing to be so distracted from his work. Especially science since it was a weak spot for him (biology wasn’t too bad but physics might as well be in another language).

 

Thoughts of a certain worker at Wendy’s were what was distracting the dancer. He thought the stupid dare would be over and done with but he hadn’t expected to meet someone so undeniably cute at the counter. Normally, Yixing wouldn’t be that flirty but he figured he’d probably never see the boy again (Yixing decided not to investigate further into the fact that that thought saddened him more than it should have) so what was the harm?

 

He wanted to scream and throw his physics book at the wall. Everytime he tried to read a sentence, he kept thinking about the boy at the counter laughing so wonderfully and his mind was out of it again. It must’ve shown on his face because Luhan kept glances at him with clear concern on his face, but before he could question his friend on his strange behaviour there was a knock at the door.

 

Yixing silently thanked the Gods because he didn’t really want to talk to Luhan right now. Luhan was a great friend but the guy doesn’t know when to stop; he will keep asking Yixing what’s wrong until he either a) explodes and storms off or b) answers his question. Yixing didn’t want to do either of those things.

 

When Luhan came back, he had a white paper bag in his hands and a look of confusion decorating his soft features.

 

“This was outside....it’s got your name on it...” Luhan held it out, looking at it as though it would turn into a scorpion if he touched it wrong.

 

Carefully, the dancer opened the bag and peered inside. He was met with a lump wrapped in white paper and a post-it note stuck on top of it.

Yixing took the note.

 

A double cheeseburger for the guy that likes cheese & ordering smiles.

                                                               From the guy at the counter -                                                                               Baekhyun.’

 

Underneath, there seemed to be a phone number and Yixing smiled to himself as he took out his phone not wanting to waste anymore time - he also wanted to get back to studying without distracting thoughts but he realised that might now be even harder as he sent a text asking Baekhyun on a date.

 

Baekhyun said yes.