Like Ice

White Confession

---8---

“Didn’t Sajangnim say we would get a break after the Japan promotions?” Sungyeol complained with the rest of Infinite as they were driven to their destination, the photoshoot for the upcoming “Infinitize” album.

“His definition of a ‘break’ is two weeks without any performances,” Hoya grumbled, “but with constant dance practices and vocal lessons.”

“Oh, what a vacation!” Woohyun added sarcastically, flicking his hand in the air for dramatic effect.

The boys laughed along with a few chuckles from their manager in the front seat.  Sunggyu stayed quiet, lost in thought.  His mind was miles away, somewhere off in far space.

“Yah!  Sunggyu-hyung!” Dongwoo cried out, trying to bring the leader back to Seoul.

“Huh?”  Sunggyu blinked.  “What?  What happened?”

“Nothing.  You were just spacing out again,” Woohyun answered, laughing at his hyung’s absentmindedness.

“Aish…” the leader grumbled, closing his eyes and ignoring the boys’ boisterous behavior.

Miyoung fidgeted in her seat anxiously as the stylists prepared the materials for Infinite’s album jacket photoshoot.  She hadn’t seen Sunggyu in weeks so naturally, she was nervous about meeting him again.  After their last encounter, butterflies swam around in her stomach every time she thought of the charismatic leader.

“They’re here!” someone announced before everyone went into a frenzy, straightening makeup products on the counter and snatching the correct outfits from the table.

The Infinite members filed in calmly.  First Sungjong and Sungyeol, then Myungsoo and Woohyun, followed by Dongwoo and Hoya, and finally the leader.  Sunggyu sauntered into the room, his gaze straight ahead.

Miyoung’s eyes lit up as he walked towards her.  Something was different though.  As he came closer, she noticed a cold expression on his face, his jaw set with determination.  And then he brushed past her, not sparing even the smallest of glances.  He pretended like she wasn’t there.

It hurt.  The smile dropped off Miyoung’s face as she watched his retreating back, the distance between them growing with each step.

Sunggyu could not bring himself to look at the girl.  He knew his mask would crack if he took in her expression.  The manager gave the leader a glare, daring him to defy his superior.  Sunggyu sighed and settled into a chair for his makeup and hair, making sure he was not anywhere near Miyoung.

Miyoung’s heart broke at the boy’s coldness.  She felt tears prickling at the corners of her eyes, but she blinked them away quickly, not wanting to show any weakness.  She should’ve known.  He was a celebrity, an idol.  He didn’t have time for girls like her.  She was just a one-time thing, never to be acknowledged again.  “Arasso,” she whispered to herself, turning back to her work.

Myungsoo sat quietly in the back of the room, getting a good view of all the drama.  He narrowed his eyes when he saw Miyoung’s subtle suffering.  What happened to the love-struck leader? he wondered suspiciously.

“Hyung,” he muttered, nudging Sungyeol.

Sungyeol gave him a knowing look, having noticed the strange exchange.  As the pair scanned the room, the other members were also giving each other confused looks, alternating with curious glances at Sunggyu.  Just why is the leader acting this way? was what went through all of their minds.

Sunggyu leaned back in his chair comfortably as one of the coordi-noonas worked on his hair.  He raised an eyebrow when he felt six pairs of eyes boring into him.  “What?” he mouthed to Myungsoo, who was in the chair closest to him.

The younger boy just shrugged nonchalantly and went back to whispering to Sungyeol.  Myungsoo had seen a battle waging in Sunggyu’s eyes, a mix of emotions swirling around as if he was trying to keep something to himself.  Whatever it was, it was a secret that was tearing him and Miyoung apart.