One

Prevention is better than Cure

"What time are you meeting him anyway?" Youngji's sister asked Youngji who was busy scrolling through her Instagram and fighting the urge to double press certain pictures lest fans would read into a simple act of liking someone's posts.

"Three o'clock. We're early, actually. I didn't know this cafe was so near from my dormitory." She looked up from her phone and was apologetic for rushing her sister into accompanying her. She didn't really want a chaperone, she just didn't want to seem alone whilst waiting for her blind date. She didn't mind being alone, it's just that having company would more or less let people who might know her keep her peace and quiet.

Calling it a blind date would actually be a stretch since she knew and had already previously met the guy she was meeting. In fact, they were going to have a variety gig together the week after next. The ever so sociable and arguably reliable Amber was the one responsible for this. She had insisted that coffee with Kangnam (oppa) prior to their show would be a great idea. ("He's a great guy. You're a great gal. I don't know why I have to explain myself, honestly," the designated f(x) rapper had the gall to sound incredulous when asked why Youngji would even consider accepting this 'graet idea' of hers.) Needless to say, she relented. It was harmless and she was curious how the popular variety star and vocalist would be like in a normal setting. She would probably ask him some pointers and guidelines on how to be an in-demand variety star like him - not that she's a dud in shows, you can never have too much inside information, you know. She almost giggled at the thought of listing down the pointers as he dictates them. What a date, eh?

Her phone trilled with the familiar Kakao Talk ring tone signaling a new message. To her surprise, it was another blonde variety star (and vocalist, she thought teasingly).

"Yah! Why didn't you tell me you were having a date? And with Kangnam-hyung, no less!" She could almost see Jackson's scrunched up face he always has whenever he was being petty and childish - which was all the time. She imagined him probably squinting at his phone right now.

"One, I don't even know if you call this a date. We're just having coffee, calm down. Two, a nice greeting would be great." She typed while rolling her eyes. They haven't talked for weeks and haven't seen each other for even longer and this is what his first message was. Typical. "Three, why, are you jealous?" She quickly added and suppressed a smile. She found out that teasing him into oblivion was almost as satisfying  as making him genuinely laugh. 

"One. I AM CALM."

"Two. JEALOUS MY ." 

"Three. I forgot what I was gonna say and it's your fault!"  

The messages, complete with a thousand frowning emojis, came in at a rapid speed. She sensed he was indulging her since she knew it took a lot more to upset him. Plus, this was more or less the dynamics of their relationship. 90% bickering and the rest is just...them being them.

"Stop frowning at your phone. You don't want wrinkles at a tender age of 22, do you?" She hoped the threat of marring his perfect face (she will never admit this to anyone and is already barfing at the fact that she even thought it) would incense him.

"What do you mean 'frowning'? That's just my face. How dare you?!" He is so dramatic in real life and in all social media platforms. Honestly. 

She laughed her signature wide soundless laugh, already oblivious of her sister across who was staring at her with bewilderment. "Wow, if he's already making you laugh like that then I'm not mad for drinking and enjoying this coffee that isn't from our own cafe, mind you." She was planning on badgering Youngji for making her wait, but seeing that quirky yet genuine laugh plastered on her youthful, pretty face stopped her. 

"Oh no, it's just Jackson. I have no idea how he found out I was having a "date" with Kangnam." She put her phone down beside her lemon water and gesticulated air quotes to emphasize how calling this one a date is becoming more and more ridiculous as she thought about it. 

"Oh," her sister raised her eyebrows in realization and quickly looked away to hide her amusement. Of course. How could she even think that anyone but this loud boy with a penchant for tight hugs could illicit that kind of laugh from Youngji. You would think that they wouldn't keep in touch with each other let alone be this close after Roommate ended. After all, this was the music-slash-entertainment business, where friends come in various degrees in which all of them are fake. But Jackson isn't just any other guy in the industry. He is the superstar in the making who looked you in the eyes as you talked. He is the ultimate celebrity who would say the most absurd things with the funniest Cantonese/American accent. He is the social butterfly who could make you feel as if you were just some person in a crowd with a simple shrug, but would reign you back in with a warm smile and a gentle nudge. The first one you'll notice in a party with his boisterous laugh and the last person who would ignore you. She took all those in a stride and matched his epic with her quick wit and all-encompassing sincerity. He would send her screencaps of his latest photoshoot and caption it with "Not to brag but wow, right?" She would bombard him with puking emojis as a sign of support. She would call him late at night complaining about some petty article written about her. He would agree with whatever is written just to be pettier in return. They were certainly not a match made in heaven, not even by friendship standard. But it is what it is and there was no point in overanalyzing their relationship. They had their friends, both mutual and exclusive, for that. 

Youngji noticed her sister's look and was about to explain, as she always do and for the thousandth time, that no, she didn't have any feelings (barf) for him but yes, she was more than fond of him and couldn't imagine a life without him. She didn't understand why people around her couldn't seem to understand how she felt about him and that their relationship isn't even complicated, despite the constant "That's complicated" comments from said people. But before she could say a word in protest of her sister's knowing look, her phonescreen lit up showing a preview of a message. She picked up her smartphone and got distracted once again.

"Say hi to your sister for me." She squinted at the message. How did he know she was with her right now? 

"Are you messing with me? How did you-" she was thumbing out her response when a familiar, high-pitched laugh was heard from the inside of the cafe even before the door chimed as it opened. She quickly turned around from her chair to find Jackson himself beaming from afar as if proud of his lame prank - even for his standards. He walked towards them and she noticed that he was in his usual all-black garb save for his red baseball cap. The diamond stud on his right ear shone as the afternoon sunlight hit it. She squinted her eyes, unsure if it was from the bright reflected light or from the boy himself. She smiled warmly despite the surprise. 

"What are you doing here? No, what are you even doing in this neighborhood?" His place, which was shared by the rest of the members of his group, was considerably far from where they were. 

"Jinyoung wanted to buy a book from that obscure bookstore just around the block. He already went and gone home so he could die happily with it. I don't know why we even bothered when he could just download everything and read it for free. Anyway, I was talking to Amber awhile ago and she told me about this scandalous meet-up!" He pulled a wooden chair and sat in front of Youngji as he was animatedly explaining himself, but not before hugging his noona from another omma tightly that she feared for her ribcage. 

Her sister didn't bother to sit back down after the hug. As far as she was concerned, her chaperoning was done. "Thank goodness you're here. Let me leave you children alone, I've got things to do. Bye, kids." Both of them just waved her goodbye. 

"As I've said earlier, this isn't a date date. And what is scandalous about this? We're out in the open for the public to see!" She turned her attention back to Jackson.

"Exactly my point!" his eyes widened in complete childish galore. She stared at him and contemplated on hitting him, but decided against it. A lady is always proper. In public, at least.  "Do you even hear the words that come out of your mouth or you're just accustomed to not make sense at all on a daily basis?" She settled with another jibe, instead. He threw his head back in a hyena laugh then suddenly looked at her back with a serious face. "You really love hurting my feelings." She smiled. He indulged. 

They fell back in a comfortable silence for a few minutes. She busied herself with an engaging game of solitaire (yes, it can be engaging) while waiting for her actual not-date date to arrive. She has quickly accepted Jackson's presence and had completely forgotten that him being here is actually more scandalous than any boy she could ever meet up with. She had a certain it attitude when it comes to him and with the people she holds dear in her life. She understood that her life as an idol can be difficult and that as long as she is still relevant, she will always be subjected to the public's criticism. However, she also knew that being sane and grounded with her family and friends are more important than anything else.  That is part of her charm and is one of the many reasons why her friends would take a bullet for her.

He leaned back in his chair comfortably and surveyed the cozy cafe while trying his best not to look like a man in a mission. He knows Kangnam's track record when it comes to girls. The charming guy had a knack of breaking pretty, unassuming girls' hearts and Jackson would be damned if he let Youngji be scratched. Oh he knows this wasn't anything serious and he believed her when she said it was just a simple meet-up arranged by Amber. But then Youngji has a knack of charming the living daylights out of someone and stealing their poor hearts (not him, of course) and Kangnam is not an exception. And as they said, prevention is better than cure, or whatever. 

"Not to be rude or anything, but when are you leaving?" She raised her eyebrows inquisitively and pointed at her wrist watch, hinting that her date (ugh) will be here any minute now and that she would prefer it if the cafe would be rid of nosy, talkative and scene stealing idols.

"Soon," he craned his neck and looked outside through the glass window as if willing for his other friend to show up. "Very soon."

Just as she threw her hands up in exasperation, Jackson stood up abruptly and smiled at someone at her back. "Hyung!" She leaned forward and whispered urgently, "Please don't do anything embarrassing." He ignored her practically begging face and smiled even more widely at Kangnam who was heading towards their table with a surprised look on his face. He pointed at Jackson good-naturedly. "Don't tell me. Amber pulled one on me and you're actually the great gal she was talking about. Right?" Unlike Jackson, Kangnam was donned in a white, fitted long-sleeved shirt and didn't wear any cap to cover his glorious blonde hair. They fell in waves just above his broad shoulders. He looked every bit the heartbreaker.

Jackson took his Bulls cap off and ran his fingers through his platinum hair pushing the strands back before putting it back on his head. He adjusted the bill of his cap for good measure. Kangnam pretended not to notice Youngji watching Jackson's spectacle of a habit.

"Nah, I was just around the neighborhood." Jackson raised his right hand for an intricate bro handshake that ended up with a grip tighter than what's comfortable. Kangnam sensed the tiniest bit of tension and hostility. He knew all too well that the resident GOT7 rapper never goes to a place unplanned. He is a busy idol, after all. He is here for a reason and the reason is this girl. Kangnam raised his eyebrows and regarded Jackson with a bit of surprise. Was this a...competition?

"Yes, I am a great gal and Jackson was just about to leave, actually. Right?" Youngji smiled tightly at him and willed him to leave with the sheer power of her mind and stare. She noticed the customers from a table not far from theirs were looking at them; she was suddenly very aware that there are two gorgeous boys (idols, for god's sake) standing in front of her and that this wasn't supposed to be weird. But it was too late and it was weird and she was about to go insane because this was supposed to be harmless. So then why is her heart beating fast and her cheeks red? This was just some stupid meet-up with a soon-to-be co-star and an accidental visit from a friend. So why are they sizing up each other as if they were in a duel? She was spiraling and it was hilarious and she forced herself to calm down and act like a proper lady who is in command of her feelings and not some blushing high schooler. 

Jackson looked at Youngji and knew she was suffering and that he had made her uncomfortable; she was transparent as hell. He felt guilty. "I was just on my way to meet someone. I just kept her company, really." She knew he was lying just by listening to the pitch of his voice when he said that. Jackson pulled her into a bear hug and whispered audibly, "Take care" and walked towards the door. He looked back just before opening the door and gave her a small smile and a wink that was supposedly playful, but ended up almost looking....sad.

Youngji was even more confused than before. She knew she could never concentrate with her date now and that all she will ever think about throughout will be him.