All Aboard the Hogwarts Express

Line Of Descent

 

As the car halted to a stop, Alexis stirred in her sleep. It was one of her strange traits, she'd always manage to wake up right on time when dozing off in her travels and this was no different. Opening her eyes slowly so that she wouldn't be blinded by the abnormally sunny weather, she saw that they had arrived at Kings Cross Station. She slid out of the car as her mother turned the ignition off and proceeded to stretch her legs. The journey to the capital wasn't too long, but that was probably because she had slept for the majority of the ride. Alexis had been far too anxious to sleep the night before so it was no surprise she fell asleep on the way to the station. She smoothed out her uniform a bit before turning around, "Here mum, let me help." 

Inside the station, it was the usual rush of businessmen and women heading towards their offices. But it was only now that the young girl had realised there were some rather bizarrely dressed people around. Small clusters of people in cloaks of greens and purples. Children and teenagers in black cloaks lugging trunks behind them, with a uniform much like the one Alexis had on underneath. No one else seemed to notice. If she were here for any other reason she probably wouldn't have noticed either. 'Platform 9¾?' She thought to herself. She remembered the advice she had received from the owner of the wandshop in Diagon Alley. 

"Ah, so you're going to be a first year at Hogwarts? Wonderful school Hogwarts is. I attended the place myself." Ollivander nodded to himself with a soft grin. "Though it is a little far from home for many of the students. Oh! Don't be late for your train either, otherwise.. Well. I'm not sure how else you would get there if you missed the train. Many muggles in the past got lost at Kings Cross trying to find the platform. Just remember, it's between platform 9 and 10. When you see someone walking straight into a wall and disappearing, you've found the right place."

Deciding that it would be easier to follow a family who seemed to know where they were going instead of wandering around aimlessly, Alexis tugged on her mother's sleeve and eyed a small group of cloaked individuals before trailing behind them. Upon arriving at the correct spot she saw the tallest (most likely the eldest) child walk straight into a column of bricks as if it wasn't there. "Woah.. Come on mum. Let's see if it works." She said eagerly, unable to fight the smile breaking out on her face. After the family she was following all disappeared into the wall, she clutched onto her mother's hand tightly and did a small run towards the wall. 


If she thought that Kings Cross Station was busy, she'd need a better word to describe the platform. Right in front of her was a long, crimson coloured steam train that seemed to stretch on further than her vision would allow her to see. Students of different ages were all lugging large cases behind them and some were carrying hefty cages with owls. A conductor nearby blew a whistle and cupped his hands around his mouth to amplify his voice, "15 more minutes until we leave for Hogwarts! All board! All board!" 

Swinging around to face her mother, Alexis wrapped her arms around the woman tightly. "I guess I should be going then." 

"You take care of yourself dear. Write to me lots so that I know you haven't gotten into too much trouble, okay?" The older woman smiled proudly at her daughter while returning her hug. The pair of them pulled back and Alexis took ahold of her wooden trunk.

"I'll be back for Christmas before you know it. You won't even notice I'm gone mum." She joked, hoping her that it would keep her mother from breaking out into tears. She passed her case of belongings to the conductor and climbed up the steps of the train, waving at her mother for the last time as others quickly climbed on behind her. 

The train was surprisingly packed already when Alexis boarded. Students were heading back and forth down the centre of the train, presumably to reunite with their friends after a long summer of being apart. The aisle was fairly narrow so Alexis had to twist to the side to allow other students past. Unsure of where to go, she gradually made her way down the aisle towards the back of the train in search of an unoccupied compartment. "Ah.. Sorry." She muttered quietly as some older and much taller students brushed past her though it went unheard. Feeling signs of discomfort emerge she slipped into the next compartment that was empty before she got trampled on by any of her seniors. Except the carriage wasn't as empty as she first thought..


A/N: 
Reviews and comments are loved! Even if it's to criticise my grammar and such. 
I'm not exactly sure how students who are muggle born would even find Diagon Alley since Hagrid took Harry there, but I shall leave that up to your imagination.

So, what's in the compartment she slipped into? Or should I say who? 
We shall see soon!