Final

When Bandages Aren’t Enough, You Have Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The room is dimly lit and it lacks the usual jasmine scent that tickles his nostrils when he wakes up. Yixing slowly opens his eyes to check his surroundings. It has neither the usual mess nor the black and white painting hanging right in front of their bed. Beside him, he can feel Yifan’s hand loosely intertwined with his. He looks to where he knows the elder is, finding him sitting on a chair, his head and arms the only parts of his body that are on the bed. That is when Yixing realizes that they are neither in their bedroom nor are they in their penthouse. The strong smell of antiseptic fills his nose as he takes in lungfuls of the air around him, instantly scrunching up at the stinging scent. Instinctively, his hand squeezes Yifan’s tight, prompting the elder to stir awake and look up at the younger.

“Feeling better, baby?” Yifan’s voice is thick with grogginess, rubbing his cheek on Yixing’s hand before kissing the back of it.

“I don’t even know what I should feel.” Yixing answers weakly and honestly, his voice hoarse as he slowly transitions to a fully awake and alert state.

Yifan sits up and sandwiches Yixing’s hand in between both of his, dwarfing it as he plays with the silver band around the younger’s ring finger, one that is identical to his. He sighs when the younger tries to move from where he is lying on the hospital bed, his facial features as serene as they can be, devoid of the expressions Yifan was expecting him to wear.

“The morphine is probably still working.” He informs the younger, kissing the back of his hand again before pressing his lips on the ring.

“What? Morphine?” Yixing is positively confused, his face bunching together at the mention of the drug, “What for?”

“You don’t remember anything from the show last night?” Yixing tilts his head at the elder’s question, trying to recall the events from the previous night.

It was raining, Yixing recalls. The music festival that he had gladly participated in was done outdoors and though the rain stopped in the middle of the show it started raining again halfway through Yixing’s performance.

Then he remembers it as clear as day.

In order to be able to interact with his fans better, he went a little too close to the edge of the stage and miscalculated his steps, slipping and falling to the ground from a height of 1.5 meters. He doesn’t remember what happened afterwards, just a lot of screaming and shouting of orders.

“Do you want to have breakfast now?” Yifan breaks through his thoughts, Yixing’s hand still nestled in between the elder’s, “I’m sure you’re hungry. I’ll check with the nurse if I can just buy you food from outside.” The elder doesn’t even wait for his answer, standing up from his chair and leaning over to sweep away Yixing’s bangs to press a kiss on his forehead. “I’ll be back.”

Even after arguing with the elder that it’s his waist that’s injured and not his arms, Yifan still insisted on spoon-feeding Yixing, telling him he might not be feeling any sort of pain because of the medicine.

“Besides, your dominant hand is on a splint.” Yifan points out, nodding his head towards the younger’s right hand where a cannula is in place for his fluids and drugs. Yixing easily loses even after a bunch of huffing and puffing, inhaling his food so the elder doesn’t end up coming in late for work. But then Yifan offers to help him take a bath.

“Don’t you have work?” Yixing tilts his head to the side, confused at the elder’s actions. Yifan neither misses work nor is he ever late, always the punctual CEO that he is.

“I do but my husband needs me more.” When he starts to think of something smart to say, so the elder will leave quickly, Yifan attaches his lips to the younger’s, “Let me do what I want. Let me take care of you.” Even after being together for five years, being married for two of those five, Yixing still blushes whenever Yifan says something that makes his heart flutter and his stomach to fill with butterflies.

The younger eventually gives in, knowing that the taller will stop at nothing and his bedridden state is not helping him win either. He allows Yifan to take the role of his caregiver even just for the day, until he is able to move on his own without feeling any kind of pain from his waist and other old injuries. The elder even interferes when the nurses do something that makes Yixing flinch and whimper in pain, such as moving him from side to side to prevent him from having pressure ulcers even if he's only been admitted for half a day.

Yifan does everything for him, making sure he gets enough rest in between visits from family and friends. He also notices the way his husband withholds him from using his mobile device, telling him there is no need for him to contact anybody since Yifan has already done that for him.

When the effect of the drug wears off before Yixing gets his next dose, his face instantly crumples in torture, evidence that he feels pain in every part of his body that bore the weight of his fall the night before. Yifan, being the dutiful husband, leaves for the nurse’s station, asking them if Yixing can already have his next dose as he’s already in so much pain. The medication nurse informs him that she will just prepare the medication and will immediately tend to Yixing. The tall male thanks her and quickly returns to his husband’s private room to reassure him that the medicine is coming. While waiting, Yifan soothes his husband, lying beside him on the bed and wrapping his arms around him. He whispers against Yixing’s hair, hoping his words are helpful enough in easing his husband’s pain. When the elder hears Yixing whimper after moving his body to be closer to Yifan, he slides down the bed so he is face to face with the younger. He starts peppering kisses all over his husband’s face, placing one of his hands over Yixing’s waist, the heat radiating from it enough to comfort the younger. Yifan moves his lips to mold it with Yixing’s, knowing this is the best he can do to help distract the younger from the pain. The nurse eventually comes in and finds them in that position, Yixing’s head on Yifan’s shoulder as the elder kisses the pain away, they don’t move and stay like that even after the nurse has administered the younger’s medication.

 

Right before dinner and just before visiting hours are over, Yixing's manager comes in with almost every staff member of his studio, bringing flowers, fruits and cards of well wishes with them. They apologize to their boss for not taking care of him well and for not making sure the stage was fit for his performance. The singer shuts their apologies down, telling his staff that they have no control over the weather so it was nobody's fault.

“Good thing we got your husband to come quick.” Yixing’s manager, Zitao, mumbles after placing the flowers on the bedside table, having to make a place for it after the fans sent in theirs as well. "He's not giving you a hard time, is he?" The younger yet experienced man directs the question to Yifan, knowing full well how hard-headed his talent can be.

"He's listening well," Yifan answers, eyeing Yixing and their intertwined hands, "I don't know for how long though." This makes Zitao snigger, understanding where the elder is coming from. He too had bouts of arguments with Yixing and his carelessness when it comes to himself, easily forgetting about his health as long as he gets to perform for the many people who have come to watch him.

"They'll understand if you can't come right away, you know. You're human too, you need rest. And you need it now, after an incident like that," Zitao scolds Yixing, as he always does, when the singer asks him about the filming of the movie he had been casted in. When he asks next about the scheduled performance he has at a broadcasting station in Hunan, which is going to happen in a few days, Zitao sends him a dagger-like glare, instantly shutting him when he says, "This is not the time to talk about work, Yixing."

Yixing's attending physician enters just in time before the singer can retort, checking on the patient’s injury, lifting Yixing’s hospital gown to reveal a purpling bruise spanning his lower back and right flank, the sight of it making Yifan wince. However, the doctor is smiling so bright at the couple that his next words don’t seem to have the weight it is supposed to have.

"For you to fully recover, you need to rest for at least a month since you already have a previous injury on the same location," the doctor jots down notes on Yixing's chart before flipping to check the patient's laboratory and diagnostics, "there seems to be no damage to your head, thankfully, but we still need to have you closely monitored. If everything goes well, we can have you discharged the day after tomorrow at the latest."

"But doc, I–” Yifan cuts his husband off, thanking the doctor for his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter