Final.

the possibility of love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope. You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because the reality is finally better than the dreams.

 

 

Sunggyu is accepting and always open to his parent’s recommendations regarding their choice and suggestions of life partner towards him. The brunette always gives his entire attention and commitment to attend a blind date or any business meeting and dinner that his mother has taken an effort to arrange for the sake of Sunggyu and that was something that he would never take for granted.

He loves his mother dearly. She is the only women in his life that aren't criticizing his decision and journey. But sometimes, he just needs some space to be able to breathe and lazing around in his apartment, doing nothing.

 

Perhaps, things can be slightly better and the entire situation would not focus solely on Sunggyu if Myungsoo, his only brother is in the same age circle as him, or precisely, if Sunggyu has someone special to proudly introduce to his parents as a boyfriend.

 

But who was he to be kidding around, he never had any boyfriend. He was too immersed in his study during the college years, abandoning his social events and party. He thought that the situation would be different once he steps into the life of an adulthood and starting his first job. There’s no more study, he admits that, but being an adult means a whole different responsibility.

He needs to think about paying his house, car, and basic necessities on top of surviving during his first two years of graduates with minimum wages of salary, being fresh graduates and all.

He’s lucky to have landed the job right after his graduations thanks to his college professor and final year project’s supervisor for their strong recommendation letter that comes with his resume.

 

Mrs. Kim gives Sunggyu exactly five years for him to enjoy the life as a young bachelor with zero commitment and responsibilities before he bombarded Sunggyu with a long-awaited question and Sunggyu cringed hardly whenever he remembered the deadly moments.

 

(“So baby, how’s life?” Sunggyu smiled against his cup of coffee and nodded his head signaling that everything is good.

Mrs. Kim chirped loudly “That’s good! So you’re ready now!”

“Ready for what?”

“Marriage!”

Sunggyu choked on his coffee and gasping loudly for an oxygen as the hot coffee comes down his trachea instead of flowing straight through his esophagus. Talk about manner.

“W-what?”)

 

 

Throughout the year, Mrs. Kim has traveled back and forth from their family mansion in Jeonju to Seoul bringing a proposal of marriage and a bunch of photos of a cute guy (his mom’s word, not him) for Sunggyu to choose from.

However, love aside, Sunggyu can’t bring himself to choose any of the guys just from a mere photo. Hence, the arranged dates.

The brunette would agree to the date if he was in the mood, but none of them fit well with Sunggyu’s vision of a ‘life-partner.’ It was difficult to explain his concept of ‘my kind of life partner’ to his old school parents as they themselves meeting through an arranged marriage, but he is determined to never give into his parent’s irrational demands and bias opinion. Luckily, they love him so much to forced Sunggyu into something that he didn’t like.

 

Sunggyu was currently living the life that he has been dreaming about since his teenage years. He has a high-profile job with a vacation tour operator in Japan that gives more money than he can count, and he had a good and comfortable life with Myungsoo as they shared a house in Seoul.

It was a penthouse, and Sunggyu bought it after a recommendation from one of his clients as an assets. It’s strategically located in the heart of Seoul with walking distance to public transport, shopping mall, and mini attractions like a park, and eco-garden.

At the age of 27, he had no responsibilities and commitment, no educational debt to pay, no dinner to cook, and no laundry to do. He was more than capable of hiring a maid to get his house’s chores done. There’s an occasional one-night stand but often times, he is too tired to actually visit the club for a quick .

It wasn’t like he was against getting married and settling down.

 

Far from it.

 

What he didn’t appreciate was being steered towards marriage just because he would soon be considered a past marriageable age. His mother is a huge gossip-monger and he knows that Sunggyu’s single status will always come sliding into their conversation.

Whether arranged by them or Sunggyu finds it on his own, his parents did not buy into his vision and mission to only get married when he is good and ready to submit into a commitment. They worried it was taking too long.

Oh, come on. It’s 21st century, who cares about marriage at this era.

Mrs. Kim, apparently,

 

Sometimes, there will be times that Mrs. Kim will contemplate her choice to not interfere with Sunggyu’s future and unnecessarily getting worried and anxious that he had brought up his son too leniently. She had encouraged Sunggyu to further his study, travel and live a life different from hers.

She hoped it wouldn’t backfire now.

 

 

“But what about love?” Sungyeol asked out of the blue on their usual Friday night, interrupting Sunggyu’s train of thought. They were lazing around in Sunggyu’s penthouse, munching on a freshly made popcorn with extra honey while watching Disney’s the descendant. When Sungyeol received no response from the elder, he continued to ask. “Shouldn’t you marry for love?”

 

And technically, it was a legitimate question. If he follows his parent’s choice and decisions, will Sunggyu regret it later on for not having it his way? How about his view of marrying for love? It’s his future after all. He wants to get married only once in a lifetime and getting old together with them and still in love.

Like his parents.

 

Sunggyu throws a popcorn at Sungyeol (one that didn’t have honey on it since he loves his popcorn so much) for ruining his mood. “Thank you for making me feel better Sungyeol. I’m flattered.” It was a short mocking reply as a response to Sungyeol’s question.

 

“Oh, welcome.”

 

Which, of course, he wouldn’t view it as a sarcasm.

Sungyeol’s word has always given a huge impact towards Sunggyu’s brain and affecting his opinion more than necessary. His brainwave that once flows and scattered around beautifully would get mixed up and tangle together whenever he sat near that kid and listening to his words of wisdom.

That kid and his psychological skills. He chooses the right courses to major in college, apparently.

 

It was Sunggyu’s turn to stay up all night rolling on his bed, thinking about the choice before him. What are the best decisions to make and choose? If only there’s some sort of time capsule, he will go back and ask his younger self to socialize a little more and get to know people to prevent this kind of sticky situations.

The roots of this problem are the fact that Sunggyu has no boyfriend (or girlfriend.)

Love as everyone knows is an aftermath of accidental collisions, like a big bang theory and Einstein’s gravitational force hypothesis, it’s always about meeting the right person and at the right time.

But, what if it will never happen to Sunggyu?

Mainly because he can never trust his judgment in choosing someone for himself. So why fight the opportunity that his parents were offering him? The two person that loves him unconditionally can’t possibly choose someone that can harm his life right?

 

Kim Sunggyu understands the pressure his parents were under. He is their oldest son and Myungsoo is too young to give them grandchildren. His parents did a great job in raising their son to be educated, independent, and self-sufficient.

Sunggyu did not need a man or a marriage for the sake of survival. He has conquered and sufficiently gains everything in life that put Maslow’s basic hierarchy of needs to shame. Which is why it was so hard for him to make such a drastic change in his life, to be tied down to a single man of his mother’s choice.

 

Which is why at first (with the help of Myungsoo and Sungyeol), they sabotaged Mrs. Kim effort. Rejecting every candidate without compunction, and finding every flimsy and the lamest excuse they could on an everyday basis and trying really hard to not be affected by his mom’s dejected and disappointed face.

He could not bring his foot down and absolutely forbid them to find a suitable life partner for him. On the surface, Sunggyu was compliance, but he was intended to make their search as difficult as possible.

It went well until he received a phone call from his dad.

 

“Hyung, dad’s calling. He was waiting on the phone!” Myungsoo shouts loudly from their living room to Sunggyu who was busy with his paperwork in his study room upstairs.

 

Sunggyu is a dedicated architect and interior designer, having completed his double degree in the University for both Courses. His love for drawing and the concept of conveying his idea and feeling in a big canvas paper that clipped on top of his glass table making him satisfied. The feeling doubles over whenever he starts a prototype of the design.

He studies for five years before graduating with a flying color result and being accepted into the company he currently works with. His mother was so proud that he always talks about him at every gathering. But his father was an introvert person, it will be rare to see his dad shows any feelings.

It must be an urgent matter for Sunggyu to receive a call.

 

Sunggyu rush out of his room. He loves his mother, but they all knew that Sunggyu would forever be his dad’s little princess. He reached the phones and quickly greet his dad with the warmest Hello! he could master. “Yes, dad. What’s wrong?”

 

Mr. Kim clears his throat before he announces the topic that Sunggyu didn’t want to hear the most. “I’ve found someone suitable for you.”

 

Sunggyu can’t resist the strong urge to curse because no one in the family can object his father’s opinion. Myungsoo grinned mischievously from afar at his brother’s miserable state. Don’t blame him, the sight of frustrated Sun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter