everything that is deep loves the mask;

All This Useless Beauty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seolhyun is beautiful. Goddess-like looks, clean long black hair, captivating eyes, perfect slim waist, bright smile. She is everything girls and boys look for in high school; when you are a teenager, you don’t usually care about what is inside (that may or may not disappoint some people). You judge the crow by how they look. It’s cold, It’s arrogant but It’s the only thing you can do, they would left you aside if you didn’t and you have to be part of them, you really have to.

But when Hyejeong sees her, she perceives something more. She must be something more. Because, yes, her smile could provide the world peace and the sound of her laughter probably is the best composition in the history of music, but there is something hidden, something between what she is and what she has to be. There’s a remaining part of someone that is but that doesn’t show herself.

Hyejeong told Yuna about that, but she only laughed. “She’s rich, she’s pretty, she’s like that naturally, don’t overthink”

But she can’t help herself. Every time her gaze localizes the girl’s figure, a whirlpool of feelings goes through her body. She feels it, there’s something about her that intrigues her.

One of her bestfriends, Chanmi, dated her for almost a month, which is a lot compared to other relationships Seolhyun had had. Chami says that the girl is loud and arrogant in the school, but, in her house, she’s calm, not talkative at all, and that makes her suspicions grow bigger.

Hyejeong shares two classes with Seolhyun today. The girl is the living stereotype of the popular, rich girl. That one that usually has that killer and selfish smile, vanity filling her eyes. But Hyejeong just sees emptiness in her gaze. The girl is incomplete, completely incomplete.

She wants to find out a lot of things, she wants to know why. Why Seolhyun suffers if she has everything a teenager would wish for, why she has everything but it’s not enough. It intrigues her quite much. Yuna told her that it is not her business, and she is right, it’s not; but her curiosity only grows day by day and Yuna can’t stop that, she can’t stop Hyejeong.

~-~-~

She meets her in the library. It’s a rainy, windy day, the place it’s almost empty, which makes Hyejeong thankful to whatever god is up there, she has to study for a very hard test of biology and she hasn’t started yet.

But she finds her, in one big wooden table with only her book on the top of it. It surprises her. What the is the popular girl doing there? Studying, of course, but she thought that her grades were only high because she copies the class’ nerd.

She doesn’t know why, but she sits in the same table, some chairs apart to leave prudent distance. There are like five tables and she chooses the one where Seolhyun studies. It’s strange, she develops fast an urge to talk to her, ask her why she is unhappy. But that would be creppy and she doesn’t want to be the focus of the jokes tomorrow.

“Hyejeong, right?” Seolhyun starts. That’s her name; the school princess calls her but why? She looks in the room but there are just the two of them.

Hyejeong just nods, too shy and uncomfortable to even speak Seolhyun smiles tenderly; it’s a different smile, though. It’s not that haughty (and somewhat y) smirk of hers, that one that is showed almost everywhere to everyone.

This one is a sweet grin, something that she can only describe as perfect. It’s gives Hyejeong hope, she may not be wrong about that hidden part of her.

“I’ve heard that you are very good in Math, is that true?” she looks like a ing helpless puppy in the middle of the road. Hyejeong nods again.

“Do you speak?” she laughs, but she can tell that she doesn’t want to hurt her. It’s not that unbearable laughter that she gives to the victims of her group of friends. It’s friendly.

“Yeah, sorry” Hyejeong apologizes, she is sure her face is painted with a bright red color; she tries to hide her cheeks with her hair.

“Well, as I was saying, I need help with math; Professor Kwon hates me” she pouts cutely and Hyejeong has to hold back the urge to pinch her cheeks. “Could you, please, please, help me?”

Hyejeong looks down; the words in her textbook are unreadable. She tries to breath calmly, act cool in front of her.  Kim Seolhyun had never really been a problem to her before, but you can’t be sure when it’s about her. She always finds new people to bother with her insensitive jokes.

But she can’t say no to that pair of eyes that begs her for help, so, she nods again.

“Yeah, I guess I can” Hyejeong answers, and then smiles politely. Not too wide, not too narrow.

~-~-~

She arrives at Seolhyun’s house; it’s not as big as she thought it would be. It confuses her. Everyone think that school’s princess is a rich, wealthy girl but her home is just normal. It may be as big as her place. She doesn’t mind, anyways, it gives her a bit of comfort.

The Seolhyun that opens the door it’s not what she expected. She has no glitter, make-up and her hair is tied in a messy braid. She looks simple yet beautiful.

That makes Hyejeong think that she is a fool. She was literally one hour and a half choosing what to wear. And now, it looks like it doesn’t really matter what clothes are on her body. She has even dyed again her hair of that hot pink.

“Come in” Seolhyun offers, with a wide smile.

Inside, her older sister, Kim Joohyun watches a movie peacefully with a big bowl of popcorn and a can of coke. She waves at her, with that tender smile that Seolhyun has too and Hyejeong waves shyly back. She doesn’t wear anything luxury either. She looks normal, she looks like a girl Seolhyun and her friends would bother.

It’s suspicious.

Her mom is there too. She is apparently cooking in the kitchen. Hyejeong bows at her and the woman grins politely at her. It’s a normal family.

“Let

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter