Final

Rain

 

 Butterfly Piano Cover by Smyang (listen while reading)


 

It started to drizzle outside. I leaned against the window, fogging it up with my warm breath. I see people out in the streets, some well-prepared for the rain with an umbrella, some clamoring for shelter, and some hailing taxis to go wherever they had in mind. 

It was August, and the weather was expected to be cold for it was autumn. It was getting dark outside, then the street lights came to life, illuminating the dark streets.

The barista at the counter had the heater cranked up, warmth filled the coffee shop. I cupped my hands around the glass of latte I had ordered, embracing its heat as I let out a contented sigh. At times like these, its best to enjoy classical music playing softly at the background in the coffee shop accompanied by a good book. I held 'Mid-winter Blood' to my face and let my eyes travel over the lines of the story, allowing it to consume me. I wasn't aware of how much time had passed until the entrance of the shop opened, resulting bell rings to echo throughout the shop.

“Oh my, let me get you some towels,” I heard the barista say in a surprised tone. Distracted, I lifted my gaze towards the entrance to see who it was causing a fuss. There stood a boy who looked around my age-a college student perhaps- half soaked in rain water. His bangs were literally glued to his forehead and his shirt clung onto his body, revealing a set of well toned muscles. Droplets of water trickled down his face and he wiped it off with his hands.

“Thank you so much!” he said gratefully as the barista handed him a few small towels. “Sorry for the mess though.”

“It's alright. Downpours have been occurring without notice these days, been expecting people to show up for shelter here,” the barista smiles. “Would you like to order anything though?”

“Yes, of course,” the boy smiles back and took a seat just a table away from me. “A cup of latte would be nice.”

“Got it, I'll be back shortly,” the barista nodded and proceeded to prepare his drink.

“Would you mind doing the leaf design?” he raised his hand as if he was trying to get a teacher's attention. For a moment, I thought he was amusing. 

“Yes, sure,” the reply came from the barista. Coffee machines started whirring and the smell of espresso filled the air. I turned my attention back to the book. It wasn't even thirty seconds until I heard the boy standing up from his seat, his chair making soft squeaking sounds. 

“Hey, you read this too?” he asked. To whom he was asking in particular? I wasn't sure myself. I made small glances around the shop, only to realize that we're the only customers here.

I looked up slowly. “Uhh...this?” I waved the book in my hand slightly. I swear, he had the goofiest toothy grin I've ever seen in my life. No, not those disgusting buck-toothed grin, let me rephrase. It was just, well... charming.

“Yeah,” he said. “I've read this book before, the ending is quite-”
“Shhhh!” I cut him off unexpectedly. It was unlikely of me to cut people off but one should not go around giving spoilers about a particular book to a person who is halfway through it. “No spoilers please!”

“Ohh,” he cupped a hand over his mouth. “I'm sorry, I didn't mean to. I guess I just got excited cause its rare to see people reading genre's like these.”

I could only nod hesitantly. I wasn't good with conversations. “Can I sit here?” he asked, gesturing to the the chair in front of me.

“Uhh...well, I...” I stammered. Looking into his dark brown orbs, something told me to just say yes. “...guess.”

“Thank you,” he flashed a grin, plopping down on the said seat. “It's cold huh these days?”

“Yeah, quite,” I agreed and sat my book down, doubting that I'll be able to read it. 

“Here you go,” the barista approached us and settled down his cup of latte.

“Damn,” he exclaimed upon seeing the leaf design carefully and neatly placed on his latte. “It's so pretty.”

“Thank you, do enjoy,” the barista gave him a grateful smile and walked back to the counter.

The rain outside got heavy and I doubt that neither of us could leave anytime soon. Eventually, we got hung up in a conversation of weathers, books and hobbies. Well, he did most of the talking. I wasn't the type to open up to total strangers completely unlike him. He seemed fun, jovial and outgoing, which was the complete opposite of me. 

But little by little, I began to warm up to our conversation. I was taken aback by myself being able to talk to a stranger for such a long period. It was quite an accomplishment for me. It was almost half an hour before the rain outside gradually decreased.

“The rain is stopping,” he gazed out the window, murmuring. To be honest, I wasn't sure if I was the one being depressed or did I just notice a tinge of gloominess in his tone?

“Yeah, it is,” I acknowledged and glanced at my watch showing 8pm. 

“I have to go,” he stood up from his seat. “I guess I'll see you around?”

I smiled and nodded. Perhaps?

He left soon enough. It was time for me to go home and have dinner as well. I walked to the counter to pay for my order. 

“It's already paid,” the barista said. Already paid? “The boy you sat with paid for yours.”

Upon hearing that, I tucked in the money in my hands back into my purse. Why would he pay for my drink? Now I owe him one. And owing to people really isn't my cup of tea. It was at that moment when I realized- we did not exchange our names. 

 

 

It was a week since then. 

 


I stared at my bookshelf filled with different kinds of novels. I read all of them, and I desperately needed new ones. There was absolutely nothing in sight that was new, so I figured to drop by the bookstore nearby to see if there were any new novels in stock.

“Mom, I going to the bookstore, in need of some new material,” I called as I put on my shoes. 

“Okay darling, be careful though,” I heard her reply coming from the kitchen. 

“Yeah,” I hollered back and stepped out into the streets. It's a 15 minute walk from my house into town where the coffee shop, bookstores and grocery stores are at. 

It was purely serene as I walked. Leaves of gold, red, yellow and orange hung on trees and scattered about on the road. It made crisping sounds as I stepped on them. A gust of cold wind blew at my direction and I could only wrap my arms around myself tighter, mildly cringing at the temperature. Winter would definitely be worse than this.

“Hey Jimin,” I greeted as I walked into the bookstore. Jimin's father was the owner of this bookstore I frequently visited and he would normally manage the shop when his father's busy with something else. 

“Yo, Chaeyeon,” he waved from behind the counter. “It's been awhile.”

“Any new novels recently?” I asked. “Really desperate for a few, everything on my bookshelf have expired.”

“Books don't expire you weirdo,” Jimin laughed. Nevertheless, he knew what I meant. “A couple of new books came in yesterday, its at the usual spot.”

“Got it, thanks,” I said and walked to the 'New Arrivals' section. Nothing really appealed to me so I trailed off to the 'Young Adult' section, in hopes that there will be something interesting. 

In the middle of browsing the available books, I heard Jimin greeting a customer who just walked in. I turned to look, only to see a familiar face- the boy whom I met at the coffee shop just a week ago. It was only when I saw him half soaked again to realize it was raining yet once more outside. 

We locked eyes for a moment, then a laugh escaped my lips. “You really love the rain huh?”

He grinned. “Well, I can't help it if god decides to cry all of a sudden. Fancy meeting you again. Small world, isn't it?”

“Small world indeed,” I nodded. 

“In need of new books?” he asked and walked towards me. 

“Yeah, any recommendations?”

Turns out, his list of recommendations were longer than I expected. It was like he literally read everything before and there's so much more for me to discover. In the end, I settled on a trilogy while he took a novel from the newest arrivals that didn't capture my attention earlier. 

“I'm paying for his,” I told Jimin and gestured to him.

“What for?” he raised a brow.

“You paid for my drink last week, I don't like owing people,” I said.

He rolled his eyes. “It's not even a big deal, I'll pay for my own.”

In the end, we both started bickering about who is paying and the whatnots. Jimin could only stare at us and laugh, until he said, “Are you both married or something?”

I flushed into a really bright shade of red, I don't know why though. Still, I snatched the book he was holding and paid before he could even protest. 

“You're stubborn as always, huh?” he murmured under his breath through smiles.

“What did you say?” I asked.

“Nothing,” he waved me off. 

For the second time, we had to wait till it stopped raining before we could leave. As time passed, it only got heavier. I was afraid that my mom would be worried, but I really don't want to walk in the frigid rain for fifteen minutes.

“I'll be right back,” he said and left the bookstore without a word. Jimin and I stared at the entrance with a surprised look. He just walked out into the rain. Minutes later, he came rushing back, with an umbrella in his hand, awfully drenched. 

“What in the world?” I gasped. “You're gonna be sick!”

“Nah, this is nothing. C'mon, I'll walk you home,” he said while waving the umbrella. “There's only one left the the convenient store opposite, sorry.”

Before I could say anything else, he grabbed my hand and tugged me out, leaving a smirking Jimin behind us.

“Hug the books, don't wanna get them wet,” he said and wrapped an arm around my waist, huddling me closer so the umbrella could do its job. We were both well aware that he is completely soaked, but for some reason I didn't mind the fact that water seeped through his clothes to mine.

The rain got lighter as we neared my house. By the time we reached the porch, it became a drizzle. 

“Thank you,” I said. “You should come in and take a shower before you go.”

He shook his head and beamed. “The rain is stopping soon. I have to go.”

“Wait,” I tugged onto his arm as he turned. “You haven't told me your name.”

“Jungkook,” he answered. “Jeon Jungkook.”

“I'm-”

“Chaeyeon,” he finished for me and smiles.

“How did you know my name?” I asked, shocked.

“Let's say I just do.” 

In the blink of an eye, he was gone. 

The rain stopped. 

Sunlight poured from the sky, revealing a rainbow proudly gleaming.

Even though it  was a beautiful sight, but in my head, I could only see his bittersweet smile.

 

 


It was two days later that I met Jungkook again. And as always, it would be raining and he would always be half drenched or completely soaked depending on how hard the rain was. Then when the rain stops, he disappears. 

He never told me where he lived, nor did we ever exchange phone numbers. But it was alright. As long as he is with me when it rains, that's all that matters. We have chemistry and we seem to understand a lot about each other. Although our personalities were not really similar, we just know what was going on inside each other's head. We became very attached to each other and it wasn't long till I realized I fell in love with him. Even though there was no confession or proposal coming from him but we held each other's hearts, and knew that we belonged to each other.

I remember going through five days without a single drop of rain and there was no trace of Jungkook. Those five days were painful, my heart ached. I missed his presence, his warmth, his scent. I sat at the corner of my room every night, letting the pain torment me. But on those days when it rained, I was happy, contented, because I know he will be right beside me no matter where I was. 

I was in the middle of finishing my assignments at night as I let music fill my ears through my earphones. I wasn't aware that the autumn rain came again outside. There's was a soft tap on the sliding glass at my room's balcony but I didn't notice it.

Then it came again, louder this time. I plucked out my earphones and turned to the balcony. There Jungkook was, completely soaked for head to toe again with his infamous grin etched on his face, tapping on the glass with his knuckles. 

“Hey,” I said through smiles, hurriedly sliding the glass door open to let him in.

“Hey, you,” he pulled me close and planted a deep and longing kiss on my lips. Yet again, I did not mind the water droplets falling onto my face and wetting my night gown. I was just glad he was here. I missed him dearly. 

“Sorry,” he broke the kiss and laughs, wiping water off my face.

“I missed you,” I wrapped my arms around his neck.

“Me too,” he rested his forehead on mine. “Can I get a shower though? It's freaking cold.”

I giggled and and pecked his lips again. “You really should.”

I had to sneak into my parent's room to get some clothes and a towel for Jungkook. They were downstairs watching TV so I broke in with ease and without being interrogated. I found a moderate-sized shirt and pants from my father's wardrobe and brought it over to my room. 

“Towel,” I saw Jungkook's arm peeking out from the bathroom, waving. Laughing at his childishness, I passed it to him. 

“I hope it fits you,” I said. “It's my dad's.”

“It'll probably be okay,” he said. 

It took him awhile and he finally exited the bathroom. The clothes I got him fit alright, just that the shirt was a little too tight, revealing his well-toned body muscles. He had the towel draped on his head, drying his hair with one hand. He was perfect, almost god-like. 

“What are you up to?” he asked and sat on the edge of my bed. 

“Assignments, due this Friday,” I sighed. 

“Well, today's only Tuesday. There's two more days to go so screw that and come here,” he smirked and pulled my hand. I sat on his thighs as he s both arms around my waist, resting his head on the curve of my shoulder. 

“I'm blaming you if I don't finish it on time,” I said. 

“You're already halfway done from the looks of it,” he mumbled into my hair. “Get some sleep, it's late and cold outside.”

It's times like these where I would choose to sacrifice everything just to be with Jungkook. His presence is more important than anything else because we wouldn't know how long the rain would last. Sometimes it was fast, sometimes slow. The time we have for each other was unpredictable, so we had to make the most out of it. 

He got up and turned off the lights and clumsily found his way back to the bed, embracing me protectively as our legs got tangled. The moonlight outside lighted my room dimly, and I could see bits and parcels of his face. 

“Jungkook,” I called.

“Hmm?” he hummed lazily.

“Can you stay with me forever?”

There was no reply. I thought he fell asleep, so I arched my head to look at him. But he wasn't, he just remained silent. 

“Can you?” I urged again silently. He kept looking at me and said nothing. He just smiled that agonizing smile. 

That was his reply.

I didn't understand what it meant. 

I decided that there was no need to ask further. We both breathed silently, embracing the moments that were given to us. 

Deep down inside me, I was scared. I was scared that he would just disappear forever, and everything would just be a fantasy. If that time ever comes, would I forget him? 

I'm afraid.

 

 


In the morning, I woke up to warm sunlight kissing my face. I turned to look beside me. It was empty, as if he was never here in the first place.

 

 

I was at the library, rummaging through shelves for reference to my projects on the human anatomy. Being a science student was tough, period. I know I was supposed to look for books related to my project, but you can't blame me for wandering into the novels section right? After all, novels were more tempting.

A book caught my eye, the title alluring. It was placed past my height though, and being 155 centimeters tall, I had to tip-toe. Unfortunately, tip-toeing did me no justice. My fingers barely touched the book. 

“Shorty,” I hear a familiar chuckle as a hand reached from behind and took the book out with ease. It was Jungkook. Him standing so close to me made me realize how easily he could tower over me with his height. The tip of my head was parallel to his neck.

“Blame genes and ineffective puberty,” I kicked his shin lightly. 

“It's alright,” he grinned. “I like it that way.”

Instead of supposedly completing my project, we ended up talking. Then we both walked in the rain hand in hand, just to get some ice-cream in this cold weather.

“Who in the world eats ice-cream in this kind of weather?” I scowled, even though I was literally scooping some into my mouth.

“Us,” he laughed. “You know you can’t say no to ice-cream.”

“I hope you get a brain-freeze,” I stuck out my tongue at him. In fact, he did. He squinted so hard and clutched his head, grimacing. He looked like a scrunched up seaweed I couldn’t help but laugh.

“You’re evil,” he said as he recovered from the pain. 

“It’s not your first day knowing me,” I smiled smugly.

“Yes I know,” he added. “That’s why I love you.”

My heart stopped for a second at his remark. No matter how many times he said ‘I love you’, my insides melt like a marshmallow over a fire. I just get fluttery and warm at his every corny and sappy comments.

He looked at me with nothing but pure affection and anguish. I felt the same as he did. It was a painful yet warm feeling, a feeling that is almost indescribable through words. 

“I wish time would stop for us,” he said as he reached a hand and placed it on my cheeks. “I wish we could be together forever.” 

Rays of sunlight started to pierce through the dark sky, signaling the end for the rain this time. Jungkook leaned forward to press a kiss on my lips. The warmth lasted for a few seconds, then he was gone.

 

 

“You can’t keep living like this, Chaeyeon-ah...” mom looked at me sadly as she squeezed my shoulders. “You have to move on.”

It was only then the truth I kept avoiding finally sank in my heart. Jeon Jungkook was never alive. I had been hallucinating all along. 

 


It was a sunny day. I remembered I had somewhere to go. I browsed through my closet and took out a white dress; the white dress Jungkook bought for me. I put on my white flats and walked to the bus stop.

I got down from the bus when it reached my destination. I walked along the pavement, inhaling the smell of grass everywhere till I reached a particular tombstone.

Crouching down, I stared at it and my fingers trailed over Jungkook’s picture and name. He was smiling in the picture, smiling so beautifully like an innocent child. The world was unfair, he didn’t deserve to have his life taken away. 

“Jungkook-ah,” I called his name. “I’m here. You can see me right?” A lump formed at the back of my throat. “I really miss you.” 

As if the heavens heard my cry, the sky started to rumble. Droplets of rain followed suit. Even though it rained this time, Jungkook was nowhere to be found. I felt warm tears streaming down my cheeks and was thankful for the rain because no one would know I was crying. 

 


It was five years later without a trace of Jungkook even if it rained. I was diagnosed with brain tumor then. Day and night I would either be lying on the hospital bed or taking medicines and getting some other torturing treatments. 

Sometimes, my parents would visit. On other days, my relatives would drop by to see how I was doing. I was aware that there was no chance for me to recover from this cancer. No matter how many operations I went for, new tumors would just magically grow again in a month’s time. I became really sick and weak. I was hurting everywhere, both physically and mentally.

The only thing that kept me going was the photo of me and Jungkook taken before he was killed in a car accident on a rainy evening. I witnessed everything that day. I was waiting for him at that coffee shop and saw him coming through the large windows. He turned his head left and right to make sure that the road was clear of cars before he crossed the street. It took just a blink of an eye for a car speeding recklessly to knock into him. And he was just...gone. 

I got tired and sleepy looking at the picture. I placed it on my chest and rested a hand over it, bracing the darkness of slumber to overcome me. I dreamed that night. It was piercing bright at first, and then I saw Jungkook’s outstretched arm towards me with a smile on his face. His smile and the way he looked at me this time was different. I did not notice the pain in it anymore. In fact, it was pure bliss. I reached out to him and he held my hand.

The brightness faded and a paradise stood before me, a paradise made just for the two of us.

‘Hey, you,’ he grinned. 

‘Where are we?’ I asked.

‘A place where we can be together forever.’

 


I never woke up after that night.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


orz idk what am I even doing this is plain bull lolz thanks for subscribing and reading though, upvote if you liked it

Jimin stans! Check this out if you would! It's a oneshot, updating soon! -----------> Ferris Wheel