Chapter Two

Voice of My Heart

 

When Kyuhyun awoke they had arrived at the first venue and everything was enchanting for Kyuhyun, who had never seen its likes. People cheered and loved Ryeowook and in return he shared his smiles and his beautiful voice.

The next venue was the same, yet another kind of adventure, the third as well, and fourth, and with every venue, with every day, Cho Kyuhyuns and Kim Ryeowooks friendship grew stronger.

Often it felt like their relationship was the opposite way of what it was supposed to be. It was Ryeowook fetching water bottles for Kyuhyun, and if the day had been particularly hot or Kyuhyun had been asked to set up the drums, (which was hard work for Kyuhyun who had never had been tempted to work out,) Ryeowook would even fetch him a towel.

And it wasn’t just because Ryeowook was Kyuhyun’s employer; it was also a question of being the youngest. Which was undoubtedly Kyuhyun.
But he stubbornly refused to act like the character was supposed to, and for some reason Kyuhyun couldn’t quiet comprehend, Ryeowook seemed to enjoy the role as the youngest.

The two of them were by far the youngest in the traveling group though and they weren’t slow to name themselves the ‘Maknaes on Top’, spreading more or less real terror from the crew whenever they looked to be planning a scheme.


It only felt like days had passed, so much fun had they had in the last few months, when they reached a huge venue, an actual place for concerts, not just bars or clubs or private parties.  

Ryeowook walked around restlessly all day, unable to talk coherent with anyone, and except for Leeteuk it seemed that everyone just tried to keep out of the way.

Kyuhyun who had never seen the other act this way before was slightly worried, but figured that the boy would come to him if he had any troubles.

But he didn’t come.

And the concert began and everyone cheered and loved Ryeowook who shared his voice and smiles, except... They didn't love him. The crowd wasn't tipsy and already in a happy mood like the shy boy was used to, they were critics and photographers and other sort of people from the music industry Kyuhyun didn’t know about and he could see how the boy on stage lost more and more confidence until his voice suddenly cracked.

Kyuhyun almost smiled, merrily thinking that not even this boy was perfect.

But then it happened again and Kyuhyun regretted his first thought.

And it happened a third time and Kyuhyun could almost feel psychically how his heart was breaking into pieces when tears gathered in Ryeowooks eyes. 
The boy kept going on bravely but anyone could tell he didn't enjoy it.
Just before the last song ended his voice cracked again and when he hurried off stage Kyuhyun was there to hold the crying boy in his arms and run a hand down his back in soothing movements.
“I messed up, I messed up,” he kept saying, while Kyuhyun held him still, comforting him with his touch instead of words he knew would be useless.
“I messed up, I messed up, I can’t sing,” he said, and Kyuhyun felt a sting of pain, because Ryeowook wasn’t the one who couldn’t sing.