Final

The hidden compass

He was working in the music store that he owned when his source of affection came walking in. The guy had been his neighbour for 3 years now and even though he barely saw him his heart still skipped a beat. They have been friends for the bigger part of those few years due to the many neighbourhood parties thrown by the other citizens in their area. They had hit it off practically immediately but their friendship hadn’t gotten the chance to blossom because Minseok was stationed in a foreign country. The man was in the army and more often than not he was situated elsewhere than beside Jongdae. It was frustrating but he had gotten used to it and besides that their friendship was still one of the closest he had ever had. Jongdae’s smile grew bigger and bigger upon seeing his neighbour and friend entering his establishment. It signalled that the man was back from his mission and he couldn’t wait to spend time with Minseok. He ran up to the elder and hugged him tightly, welcoming him back home.

“I knew I would find you here” said Minseok. “You are hardly anywhere else. A regular workaholic”. Jongdae chuckled and shrugged his shoulders.

“I just love music and you know that Seok! Say how long are you in town for?” he asked. It was habit of his to immediately ask how long his friend was home. He liked to know how much time they had together before Minseok left on another mission. If he knew how long they had he could figure out what they should do together. Whenever Minseok was in town he tended to take time off work and fully spend his days with the elder.

“3 days this time. I am sorry Dae. I just landed and your store was the first place I went to. I figured you’d want to see me right away” Minseok said. The man had figured right. Wow, 3 days. That was the shortest that they ever had. Minseok didn’t have any relatives he was on good terms with so he was pretty much his family and the first person Minseok thought of whenever he was allowed to have time at home.

“You figured right, but my god, only 3 days?” he said, a hint of disappointment seeping into his voice. Minseok looked apologetic but Jongdae knew that it wasn’t his fault. He couldn’t help it, it was his profession and they both had to deal with it the best they could.

“What can I say, they would only give me this much but hey” minseok said before nudging his shoulder “at least we have 3 days. It also could’ve been nothing” Minseok smiled. He had a valid point. The time was short but at least they had it.

“So anything you desperately want to do?” Jongdae asked. He had nothing on his sleeve this time round so he laid the decision with his friend. Minseok must miss a few things when being in another country so often.

“I just want to hang out here, browse through the collection, talk to you and maybe we could hang out at my place order food and watch a movie? Like old times?” the elder suggestion. Jongdae smiled and nodded. That sounded absolutely perfect and it was how they spend their 3 days together. They cuddled on the couch and he felt empty when it was time for the older to leave again. He couldn’t wait for the moment he would come back again, maybe Jongdae would then have found the words to express his feelings. You see, with every passing moment Jongdae felt more and more attracted to Minseok. Each time he came back he wanted to confess, each time he left he took a piece of Jongdae’s heart with him but he always chickened out when it came to his feelings. One day, he promised himself, one day he would tell Minseok how he feels.

//

Jongdae was about to leave home to open up his music store for the day but when he stepped out of the house he almost got a heartattack. There was an ambulance in front of Minseok’s house and his front door was open. He ran over and made his way inside frantically calling Minseok’s name. He was met with a hospital employee and he wanted to push past him but the guy had a firm grip on him.

“Sir who are you” the man asked firmly with a deep commanding voice. “

I am Kim Jongdae and I am Kim Minseok’s neighbour, friend and family member. Kindly allow me to pass or else..” he threatened. Reaching Minseok was his main priority and he would do anything to reach it.

“Or else what? Please kindly tell me what you will do if I won’t let you see mr. Kim” the authoritative figure said.

Jongdae’s knees buckled and he slid to the floor, a sunken and pathetic expression on his face. They wouldn’t let him visit wouldn’t they? He is not related by blood so they won’t allow it. But it was his Minseok who was hurt. His Minseok. HIS! He started to get angry and used it to stand up and violently push the man aside. He strode into the room and there Minseok was, in his bed with bandages wrapped all the way around his chest

“Seokkie what happened to you?” he asked worriedly. He took the elder’s hand in his while the rude hospital worker from before joined them.

“I am sorry mr. Kim. He pushed past me” he said with an apologetic bow.

“That is alright Chanyeol. Jongdae is welcome in my home anytime. Although it pains me you have to see me this way Dae” Minseok said giving his hand a little squeeze.

“Will Jongdae be taking care of you Mr. Kim?” Chanyeol asked glaring at the smaller man standing beside the bed. He knew he wasn’t being professional but the guy just shoved him aside.

“If he wants to then yes he will” Minseok responded and sending Jongdae an asking look. He nodded and exclaimed he would love to take care of the older. Chanyeol then proceeded to explain to Jongdae how to change the bandages and how to clean the wound, when to call the hospital and which medication Minseok was allowed to have. It was a lot of information to take in and he had yet to find out what happened to his friend but he felt confident that he could do this. Chanyeol left with the ambulance brothers shortly after that and left Jongdae to change the bandage.

“So, should I prepare myself for gruesome fleshwounds or are we good?” he tried to joke, masking his nervousness. Minseok saw right through that but still opted to keep the conversation light and airy.

"Just a gunshot wound. Nothing major and it would turn into a super cool scar” the elder said.

“YOU GOT SHOT? Jesus Minseok you could’ve died. Oh my god this is exactly the reason why I don’t like it when you go on these missions. Couldn’t you have picked an office job?” Jongdae ranted when trying to carefully take the old bandage off. Minseok just chuckled and assured the younger he was always careful and that his wound was nothing to worry about. He got the bandage off and beside the place near his shoulder where Minseok got shot was a big tattoo situated on the elder’s chest. It was an old but beautiful looking compass. It looked like a regular one until Jongdae saw that the arrow pointed towards a musical note instead of a direction. He traced the note with his finger, softly gliding over Minseok’s skin before he realised how inappropriately he was touching his friend, so quickly he drew his hand back.

“The note is you” Minseok said. “I got it a few months ago when I realised that……” Jongdae stopped what he was doing, the bandage half wrapped around the other’s chest and shoulder. Somehow he felt that what Minseok was trying to say was more important, more exciting and so his heartrate picked up.

“That?” he asked swallowing thickly. Suddenly his mouth felt really dry.

“I realised that…. I always want to come home to you.” the older said shyly. Normally the man looked strong and confident but now he looked the complete opposite, unsure and shy. Jongdae smiled and carried on with the bandage.

“You already come home to me. You didn’t need a tattoo for it silly seokkie” he chuckled.

"That is not what I mean Dae” Minseok said quickly and took the younger’s hands in his. “I mean I am in love with you, my heart always wants to come home to you, wants to remember you when I am on mission. So I got the tattoo with the arrow pointing to a music note as a reminder that I will find my way home again, to a very handsome music store owner who also happens to be my neighbour and best friend.”

Jongdae was touched that his friend, his love would make such a grand gesture to him. A tattoo is a permanent thing which you really can’t take lightly and for Minseok to have gotten one that solely focusses on him is shocking. He hit Minseok on the head.

“You stupid… why would you..a tattoo really?.... I so would’ve talked you out of this!” Jongdae huffed before kissing Minseok. When they broke the kiss they both had a big grin on their faces.

“You love it though” Minseok said cheekily. Jongdae hated to admit it but he did. He truly did.

 

*****

A/N: Another oneshot that was requested by an anon on tumblr. I hope you have loved this one and that my writing is improving. I love writing these oneshots for my lovely readers. Thank you for reading this one♡