CHAPTER 1

The Exchange Student
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 1

 

"Please fasten your seatbelts and switch off your mobile devices. We will be landing in ten minutes so please enjoy the rest of the flight," says the air hostess in Chinese.

Zhang Yixing unplugs his headphones and places his MP3 in his backpack. The window next to him emerges the bright illuminating sun rays. He looks at the view smiles. I'm finally here, he thinks.

 

People hailing at every corner at the Incheon Airport. With her hands in her pockets, Na Hye Seo stares at the sliding door, waiting for the exchange student to arrive. "He must've arrived now. The screen has just changed," says her father. 

Her mother hands him the paper with Chinese characters written on it.  Must be his name, thinks Hye Seo. Even though the exchange students usually send them pictures of themselves, they are still unrecognizable.

Hye Seo shrugs it off. She always thinks of the exchange students as a burden. 'An intruder inside my home', she labels them. But she isn't the one to complain as they are in need for money. Therefore, by hosting students they would be earning a bit more to fend for themselves. Hye Seo works in a coffee shop so that she'll be able to pay school fees.

A teenage boy stands and scans the arrivals section. He finally spots his name. He walks towards the group of people and bows. "My name is Zhang Yixing. I am the Chinese exchange student from Changsha High," he says formally. His Korean isn't bad, thinks Hye Seo, although she has heard better.

Her parents introduce themselves and it is Hye Seo's turn. She nods her head instead of a bow and says her name. Yixing nods back and puts out a small smile.

"Alright then, let's get going," declares her father. They all follow him to the car and her father helps Yixing with his luggages. They place them insidr the boot and hop inside. Her parents sit on the front and Yixing and Hye Seo sit at the back, both staring at the opposite windows.

It's still raining and streets are filled with colourful umbrellas. No one talks during the ride but suddenly Hye Seo's mother breaks the silence. "So how long have you been studying Korean, Yixing?" she asks. "Erm... for about two years," he answers politely. "Yixing, no need to be so polite. It makes us seem distant. So you can drop the honourifics," says Hye Seo's father. "Okay," replies Yixing.

 The rest of the ride is silent. They arrive at their house and take off their shoes before entering. Hye Seo's parents stop and explain some house rules to Yixing, then they order Hye Seo to help him with his suitcases upstairs.

Hye Seo picks up the suitcase and starts climbing the stairs. "Here, let me help you," offers Yixing. Hye Seo gives him a look and says in a scolding manner, "I may be a girl but I am not that weak, you know!" He jerks his hands back and continues climbing the stairs.

She leads him to the small guest room, which her mother had cleaned before they left. She switches on the light and places the suitcase on the floor. Yixing puts down his backpack and looks around.

Hye Seo quietly leaves the room and goes to her own, which is right next door. She sits on her desk chair and starts studying for her weekly tests.

 

Hye Seo goes downstairs for dinner but only finds her father in the kitchen. "Where's mum?" she asks while looking around. "She has gone with Yixing to pick up his school uniform. Hye Seo nods and heads to the stove to serve herself. "Hye Seo! They'll be back soon. Be patient! Don't be rude to our guest! We must all eat together!" her father scolds.

Hye Seo sighs and heads back to her room to take a short nap. She lies on her bed, clutching her stomack which is grumbling with hunger and closes her eyes.

ΔΔΔ

"Hye Seo! Hye Seo!" someone says as she is shaken awake. Hye Seo barely opens her eyes when she sees Yixing's face, which is a few inches away from hers. She feels her heart miss a beat and her face flushes. She shoots upwards and says in utter panic, "What are you doing in my room?" 

Yixing takes a while to answer as he has to process what she has just said. "Ummm, your mother has prepared dinner. You should come down," he says. Hye Seo nods and stands up. She follows Yixing and while going down the stairs, she asks him, "How old are you?" "Eighteen," he replies. 

Hye Seo stops and stares at him. He also stops and in utter confusion asks, "What's wrong?" "We're same-aged! No need to be so formal. It sounds weird and it makes me feel old!" she exclaims. He nods in reply and both head to the kitchen.

"Hye Seo-yah! What kept us waiting? We called you at least five times!" her mother says in a scolding matter. "I was asleep," she replies. "We had to send Yixing to get you to come. Aaah! Sit down now!" she exclaims.

Every one is served and they all start eating. Hye Seo's mother asks Yixing, "Have you ever had this dish, Yixing-ah?" "No," he says, "but it's very delicious. What's it called?" "It's gejang," she replies. He nods and continues eating.

 

The next day, they all wake up early as they have school and work. Hye Seo puts on her school uniform which consists of a plain dark blue skirt, a white shirt with a dark blue blaser and loafers. She grabs her backpa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter