Final

Why Are You So Quiet?

Title: Why Are You So Quiet?

Genre: Fluff, Friendship

Characters: Sana Minatozaki, Mina Myoui

Date: February 15, 2016, 9:18 pm -10:20 pm

 

Being calm and quiet was one of Mina’s qualities ever since she was a mere child. It didn’t bother her when people start pointing that out in front of her face, even if sometimes they take the teasing to a whole new level. People would assume that she’s hiding something, or even plotting something evil inside her mind. But the truth is, Mina just doesn’t really have much to say about anything, she’s better with listening. She’d only speak her mind when needed to; otherwise she’ll just stay inside her shell thinking of other things that matter, ketchup included.

Her quietness didn’t help as well when she moved to Korea after being recruited to an entertainment company. Adapting to a new culture was hard enough, what more with learning a new language?

One of her friends, Sana, a fellow Japanese member, never questioned Mina’s quietness. Instead, she was one of the few people who appreciated it. Living with nine other women in a dormitory was already painful enough, but thank heavens she was paired with the calm Mina as her roommate. If she would have been paired with JiHyo or anyone else with a loud booming voice, she would go crazy. She herself was already enough, adding someone equally as loud as her would mean that it would be the end of civilization. But of course, Sana’s exaggerating things.

At first, Sana found it weird that Mina never really talked that much, and would just offer her a small nod whenever she started ranting about how she hated Dahyun’s peculiar way of opening a can, or how she wanted to kick Momo after she harassed her with just one pinch. The Twice girls were just too playful sometimes.

There were times when Sana also wanted to smack Mina on the head, hoping that the she might trigger the gears of her speaking ability to run. But as time passed by, she realized that Mina will always be quiet Mina- the one who just locks eyes with Sana, and listens intently. Sometimes, Mina would speak a bit of her mind, but nothing more than that. Nonetheless, Sana grew fond of Mina.

The older girl, for some reason, felt safe whenever she shares a part of her life to her; knowing that the red head would never share any of the things she’s told her to her to anyone else. All secrets were kept by Mina, and nothing passes , a guaranteed truth. Even the inconsequential matters were kept inside the heart of the red head. Surprisingly, Sana never really had the feeling of Mina judging her for anything that she’s said.

“Mina-chan,” Sana called out, one rainy night. She was resting on the top bunk of the double deck bed that she shared with Mina; looking up the ceiling, with her mind floating in space. “Is your quietness innate, or something triggered you to be what you are?” She asked out of the blue. Although she never wanted to question Mina with her personality, she still couldn’t help but do so. The question has brood at the back of her mind for as long as she could remember, yet she never had the courage to ask before.

Mina, who was lying on her stomach, with head under the pillow, shifted a bit after hearing what her roommate had to ask. She softly sighed to herself, but was still heard by Sana, who immediately climbed down her bunk and settled herself beside Mina.

“Yah, you can tell me anything you know.” Sana pouted a bit; putting her hands on the younger’s shoulder. This was one of those moments when Sana just wants to smack Mina on the head.

Mina sighed once again despondently after realizing that Sana was nowhere close to letting go of her question. She slowly pushed herself up and sat on the bed, facing the girl who had pink dyed locks. “What do you want me to say, Sana?”

With quick hands, Sana reached out and placed both her hands on Mina’s cheeks before pulling them. “Miguri, I just want to know why you’re so quiet. That is all.”

Mina’s shoulders drooped, an indicator that she’s feeling down and disappointed. Sana couldn’t decipher what she was trying to say, and so she tilted her head to the side as she continued looking at Mina straight in the eyes. She wanted to understand her friend more, and with this situation, with Mina being too stubborn to talk, more like it, they were going nowhere. They have been friends for a long time, yet, there were a lot to the red head that she didn’t even know.

“Mina-yah, Miguri-yah. Please~” She continued pouting. Sana’s hands found their way to Mina’s shoulders, but this time, her touches were softer. She didn’t want to startle Mina, as she was looking pretty vulnerable and confused with her current state, for it was the first time that Sana persistently asked Mina a question and demanded for an answer. It came as a shock to the younger, apparently. “Middang.”

Sana-yah.” Mina finally answered. “My answer to your question is quite simple. I have always been a quiet girl.”

Although Sana wanted to hear a different answer, she still managed to smile and accepted it as it is. She smiled softly at the younger and patted her head, like she always does.

But…” Mina unexpectedly continued speaking. Her voice was soft and velvety; that it sometimes makes Sana go easy on her. Mina’s vulnerable side triggers people’s consciousness to just protect and save the helpless Mina, just like how Sana wants to protect her dongsaeng at all cost. “One of the reasons as well is because...” She paused once again.

I’m conscious of my broken Korean.”

Sana blinked more than she was supposed to. She was sure she heard it right, but something just doesn’t fit.

You constantly speak in Korean than in Japanese, and you’re already so good with it… that I couldn’t catch up. Whenever I speak in Japanese, you respond in Korean and I-- you know how my Korean … just like now.“

It was then when Sana realized that she has been speaking in Korean with Mina all the time.

Sana immediately hugged Mina. “Gomenasai, Mina-chan!" Sana was at lost with words after that, but Mina on the other hand just chuckled, hugging Sana back. "It's fine, Sana." 

 

--

Reviews are very much welcomed. Thank you!