Apparition

A Peculiarly Divine Love

I managed to get a part-time job at a supermarket, about fifteen minutes bicycle trip from my grandparents’ house here in Chiba prefecture. It is a small town filled with scenic greeneries and I love the scenery I got to pass by on my way to work; a sunflower field, golden yellow in spring, although I have to pass an old bridge the local people say is haunted. It did look like it was haunted; green moss covered its wooden railings mostly on the left due to the fact that it was closer to the running water caused by the nearby little waterfall. The bridge itself was made from concrete but the railings were built from both wood and iron. It was rickety but the structure was sturdy enough to stand for years. The people here said it was because of the guardian that the bridge can stay on for so long without any yearly fixing. All thanks to the guardian I guess.

I wasn’t being skeptical nor was I being sarcastic because I think I actually saw the said guardian. I don’t doubt my memory but I do doubt my eyesight. About a year after my operation I was told that my vision will never be normal. Luckily it was nothing serious since my parents are both as blind as a bat without their spectacles. So during that one time I passed the bridge I think I did see the guardian and unlike any of the preceded vision I have in my mind of the said guardian; red-faced, angry looking *Kami, he was rather plain. He has a blank look on his face. His eyes looked like they were in a complete far-away stare; as if he was lost in his own thoughts.

At first when I was about to reach the other end of the bridge I thought I saw a fly away white cloth. When I turned to see it I saw a man instead. I stopped on my track for a while. I was already a good distance away if he decides to come after me; whatever he was. The only thing I was certain of was he was not human. I could see through where his legs should be. The thing is the odd one was me. I wasn’t scared at all. I found myself inching towards him but I was stopped when a truck passed by. He was no longer there when I looked back. 

 


 

 The night was rainy and grandpa and I were in the living room rummaging through old pictures. Grandma was bustling in the kitchen, refusing my help when I offered too.

“I’m making something special for you! It’s a surprise! Go hang out with your grandfather” she said.

He tried to teach me to Shogi but I failed miserably thus we end up rummaging the old photo albums.

“Your mother was quite a hassle to handle when she was a child, totally different from you. You were so quiet! We almost thought you had speech impairment!” grandpa laughed as he handed me an album, not quite aged as the others. “This is your album. We took pictures of you every -time you came to visit us. It wasn’t easy for you to come and visit you know… with you being sick and all. We also have another whole new album filled with your pictures a year after your surgery up till now!”

I laughed at his enthusiasm. “Basically me being sick was the reason why I was so quiet grandpa. It’s tiring to even talk”

He nodded and smiled. “That is why we are so glad that you are with us now Yuki. It was a miracle when your mom called us saying you had a heart transplant surgery and were doing okay. We couldn’t visit as much since your grandma kept on having back pains during the time” he laughed.

“Thank you for being concerned” I said.

“It’s expected…” he replied. “We love you Yuki” I smiled.

We continued looking at my old pictures. Deep down I know they thought I was not going to live long and thus the pictures. My eyes wandered at the frail me. Me at one year old, celebrating my birthday in a hospital room, me celebrating my two years of age at the hospital canteen and it went throughout my fourth birthday. During my fifth birthday however, we went to the amusement park. Grandpa and grandma weren’t in the picture this time, I guess because grandma had her back problem at the time. They must’ve thought I’d be gone by then. I even wondered as I looked at the frail five year old me. “It was a miracle indeed that I survive” Grandpa nodded.

It was the final page of my old album that caught my attention the most. There was a picture of me and a boy. It looks like we were at the same age. Oddly enough, I don’t remember seeing myself smiled in any other pictures but in this one.

“Who’s this?” I asked as I took the picture out of the album. In the picture I was sitting on the old reclining chair grandpa used to have at their front porch. Whenever we came and visit I would frequently asked to be sitted on it so I can enjoy the great nature surrounding me. But I can’t seem to remember befriending anyone here. How did I manage to smile like that? He was just standing next to me with a simple smile on his face.

Grandpa sighed. “That boy… His name is Daiki. He lived a few minutes away from our house. Poor kid…”

“Did something happen to him?” I asked.

“That’s the problem” grandpa said, taking the picture from my hands. “We didn’t know what happen to him”

“When did you take this picture? Were he and I close?” I asked. Somehow this boy’s existence peaked my interest. There was a sense of familiarity that I can’t explain.

“Well, you two were close…” grandpa smiled. “He was a good kid. He had a bright personality too for a child. You two happen to meet at your grandmother’s garden, about two years before your surgery. He noticed you quietly sitting at the porch. Ever since, his visits became often after that. ”

“What do you mean by not knowing what happened to him?” I asked.

Grandpa shrugged. “He just vanished. We all thought his uncle might have something to do with his disappearance”

I took the picture from his hands. “Where were his parents?” I asked again.

“They died when he was only a month old. It was a boating accident I think” grandpa replied.

I stared at the picture long enough until we heard grandma calling out that dinner is ready. “Can I have this picture grandpa?”

“Sure… Come let’s go eat before your grandma calls out again”

I put the picture in my cardigan’s front pocket and brought the rest of the albums while grandpa brought the heavier ones. Before I could turn towards the kitchen I saw a glimpse of white standing outside from where grandpa and I sat. I went to inspect it and indeed there was someone in all white standing at the front lawn just outside the fence. The sliding door was not as smooth as it was and it took a few moments to slide it open and by the time I manage to get outside no one was there.

“Yuki! Come now… just leave the albums there. I made a special birthday soup for you” grandma called out.

I shut and locked the door before making my way to the table. Just before I reached the table I turned again to see if that person reappears but nobody was there. 

 

*Kami = God/Guardian/Diety