One

Candy Ball

 

 

February 13, 2016. Every student at the all girl s school of Produce High was making sure they had a date to the candy ball tomorrow evening. Jeon Somi was one of these girls. She hadn't asked anyone yet but she had gotten over a hundred confessions from many girls. She was overwhelmed at first until she realized who she wanted to go with: Zhou Jieqiong. The beautiful Chinese student who went by Pinky. She was popular, talented, and a member of the cheer leading squad. Somi was a member of the basketball team and Pinky often caught her eye during their games. She was determined to ask her, but even if she got rejected then she would still have fun with her best friends.

 

After thinking it over for several days, she decided to hit it old school. Placing her confession in Pinky's shoe cubby. She signed her name and everything, things looked perfect. That was until she saw someone else talking to Pinky in the hallway. A girl in her senior year which she recolonized as Shin. She expected them both to be friends as they were both Mandarin speakers, but something seemed different. Shin was offering her a pack of chocolates and Somi couldn't help but wonder if she was too late. Pinky was blushing and now she felt that she had missed her chance completely. That was until she heard:

 

"Sorry jiejie..I already have someone in mind." Pinky said with a bow leaving Shin with a slight frown.

 

"I figured. That's okay! I can ask someone else." The older gave her a pat on the head and insisted she keep the chocolates before walking off. Somi was confused now. Should she even bother asking?

 

As Somi was staring, she felt someone tap her shoulder. She turned to see one of her best friends: Dani!

 

"What's up Somi?" She attempted to look behind Somi and saw Pinky, leaving her with all kinds of mixed feelings.

 

"Oh nothing! I was just staring off into space." A laugh left and she slung her arm around Dani beginning to walk to their next class together.

 

"Hey, um...I was thinking that maybe you'd wanna be my date to the candy ball? I mean you don't have to-" Dani stated nervously with a chuckle as she looked at her friend in awe. She never mentioned it before but she too had hidden feelings for Somi.

 

Somi was caught off guard and wasn't sure what to say. She still was pondering on confessing to Pinky, but at the same time she didn't want to hurt Dani either. Her mind was still processing the request and as she was about to speak, a red ribbon wrapped around her waist. A gasp left her and she was pulled into the arms of a familiar face: Senior Kim Sejeong.

 

"Hello Somi! I was wondering if you'd be my date tomorrow?" The girl was absolutely stunning and definitely one of the most popular girls in school. It would be hard to stay no to her. That was until a pouting Kang Mina appeared behind her with a trademark eyesmile.

 

"I thought you were asking me?" She said this with a whine leaving Sejeong to snicker.

 

"I will if Somi says no!" The whine from Mina's lips only got louder.

 

Did she just get into the middle of some love triangle? Great.

 

"I actually just was asking her too..." Dani admitted shyly causing Mina to shout 'YES'! Sejeong sighed but still waited for the word from Somi herself.

 

"Um..I'm sorry..I have someone I want to ask.." Somi stuttered quietly with a nervous bow. Sejeong nodded at her with a smile and took her leave with Mina. Dani shot her an apologetic smile as if she felt sort of bad for asking in the first place.

 

"I think I know who it is." Dani said with a forced smile at somi before walking into class.

 

"Sorry.." Somi didn't feel good about this at all.

 

The day passed by quickly and before she knew it, school was already over. Everyone was leaving and this would be her only chance to leave her confession. In the end, she did leave the note in Pinky's cubby. At lunch time in fact so she probably wouldn't of seen it until now. She waited quietly near the entrance of the school for the girl she had in mind. She grew quite nervous when she witnessed Pinky reading her note. The smile that spread across her face left her with all kinds of butterflies.

 

Somi almost stopped breathing when she saw Pinky approaching her with that same smile.

 

"Were you waiting for me?" Pinky questioned shyly, even though she clearly knew the answer.

 

"Yes, I was unni." Somi was looking down at her feet all nervously.

 

"This is for you." A pink wrapped package was held out to her leaving her speechless.

 

"Thank you.." She took it and opened it with a small smile which ended up growing tremendously when she saw it was a note with candy attached. A note that was asking her to go to the candy ball.

 

"Looks like I'll see you tomorrow evening?" Pinky sounded excited.

 

"Yeah! I'll see you then. Should I pick you up?" Somi was unsure of how these things worked, since this was her first time going to a school dance.

 

"I'd like that.." Pinky admitted with a red face and Somi gleamed. The two ended up walking out together hand in hand while most of the student body watched over in jealousy. The two didn't care though because they were too happy with each others company to even care.