Hope

The Drabbles of a Musician

This short story was Inspiried by Camille Saint-Saëns' Clarinet Sonata Mvt. 1

Link to song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLz-rxFj69s

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

               It’s a clear day outside. The sun is warm, and the there is a pleasant breeze. But alas a small baby bird has fallen from its nest. What’s this? He seems to be standing up. He looks up and sees his home, his nest high on top of that tree. He flaps his arms intensely only lifting himself up a little and he falls down once again. He sits right back up and shakes his head. He looks sad and upset he looks down at the ground. But what’s this? He turns away from the tree and runs as fast and as far away as he can. Once he is far enough he turns around. He looks up to the tree and he runs toward it as he flaps his wings intensely once more. He takes off but it isn’t enough. He falls once more to the ground rolling until all momentum is gone. He stays still then he tries to move but he is hurt. He has hurt his leg. He sees a shadow come closer to him he is frightened and he tries to run away but his stumbles on his hurt leg and falls once more. It is too late the shadow had grabbed him and he had lost consciousness.

                He opened his eyes and he looked around. He did not recognize this place. As he tried to move he felt his sore foot and he looked down to see white paper on his leg. Or rather it was all around his leg almost supporting. He then heard movement and he saw a huge being. Round blue eyes, Blond hair and pale skin. It looked down at him and then it was gone. The bird was given food and water. Soon even his leg had healed. He had come to like this place and the owner of the shadow he had come to learn its name was Michele. Even though he was recovering Michele seemed to be always coughing and always stationary in the room. Some time had passed and the bird grew out more feathers and Michele had even allowed him to fly around the room. He flew everywhere and anywhere that he could whenever he would land Michele would clap and that made the bird happier. Michele had eventually given him a name as well. The birds name was “Hope”. Sometimes Michele would leave the cage door open as she slept and Hope would fly out and sleep right next to her.

                One day Michele had Hope perched on her hand and suddenly started coughing and didn’t stop. Red liquid dropped from . Michele stood and walked over to the door and opened it but as it opened Michele fell and the coughing wouldn’t cease. Hope landed next to Michelle flapping its wings in worry. Hope seeing Michelle too weak to move flew out of the room and chirped as hard as he could until he saw another person like Michele. They ran over to the room and helped her out of the house. Hope tried to follow but he was put back into the cage. Days had past and Michele had not returned. Slowly Hope seemed to have lost hope too and had even ate as minimal as possible and his weight started to decrease. He had become depressed but he made himself eat just enough just encase Michele ever came back.

                But one day the door opened and there he saw Michele. Hope was so happy he couldn’t believe it. He chirped and flew around in his room as much as he could. Her parents helped her to the bed and there she was smiling but she had something covering . Once her parents were gone she leaned over and opened the cage. Hope rushed out and flew to her side and started softly nibbling her ear and cheek giving her soft kisses. Michele giggled and opened her palm so Hope could hop on. Once he did she looked at him and sad.

                “You seem to have lost just as much weight as I have… But even if it’s a little hope it’s still my Hope…” She giggled softly and placed hope down right beside her and in the first time in a long time they slept peacefully. For there was still Hope.