001.

Smile
Taehyung had always loved Hoseok's smile.
 
Even though a lot of people thought it was weird, stupid, or scary, even- Taehyung found it perfect. Taehyung thought everything about Hoseok was perfect.
 
It had only been half a year since Hoseok had moved into Taehyung's apartment with him. The two had met so long ago that Taehyung could barely remember the year. But he remembered the way Hoseok spoke to him, and looked at him. He adored him since the very beginning.
 
Though Taehyung definitely had feelings for him initially, Hoseok was the one to confess first. Taehyung remembers the rosy colors of Hoseok's cheeks while he told him how he felt. He remembers the streams of warmth that glossed his face as he began to tear up. He remembers the way Hoseok beamed so brightly that the corners of his gums peeked from behind his beautiful, soft lips. He remembers that smile.
 
He loved that smile, he loved that boy. He had always imagined the future they would've had, The kind of people they'd become as they got older. He loved the past, and he loved that non existent future. He loved this forever.
 
What Taehyung didn't expect that this living dream wouldn't last forever.
 
He found himself, in this moment, in this gloomy, cold hospital room. The smell of despair and loss in the atmosphere. The cold aura of the space was heavy on his shoulders. His heart that has been so full of love and joy spun into the feeling of sickness when he lay his eyes on his love, his soul, his other half, who was once so happy and healthy, bleak, cold, and broken, hooked up to the wires that held his life with him.
 
His head hurt. It felt dizzy. He could taste the sour tears on his face, he had been crying for quite some time. The tears had started when he had gotten a call. The person at the end of the line sounded grim, which worried him. It wasn't that the worry struck into heartbreak in his soul until the woman calling had said that Jung Hoseok, his Jung Hoseok, had just suffered a fatal car crash.
 
Taehyung barely breathed the entire way to the hospital. His worry and anxiety were so heavy on his mind that it made it hard for him to move. Though so hard to move, it took him barely any time to get there.
 
He had been crying so hard for so long, no matter how much the sleepy, dizzy Hoseok told him not to cry. Taehyung guesses he had worn himself out and passed out during his breakdown, and when he woke up, his life shattered into nothing when he made the realization it wasn't a dream.
 
"You're awake," Hoseok's scratchy, small voice chirped from his hospital bed.
 
The sound of his voice both built up and broke down Taehyung. Almost immediately, he went to his feet and sat on the edge of the hospital bed, reaching out to grasp Hoseok's hand.
 
He felt a soft, cold touch on his hand. Hoseok played with Taehyung's fingers gently, a sad smile adorning his face. Seeing the grin blossom on Hoseok's face out of the corner of his eye caused Taehyung to look up at the older. Hoseok's once silky, fluffy black hair was dull and messy. His vibrant glowing skin was gaunt, pale and cold to the touch. Hoseok was dying.
 
The sight of the dearest thing to Taehyung falling apart broke him completely. He felt those tears building back up, and he blinked them quickly from his eyes as his heartrate sped up. "Hoseok, I-"
 
Hoseok slowly lifted his locked hand from Taehyung's and reached to softly his fingers across the younger boy's cheek. "It's alright," he interrupted.
 
Taehyung stuttered multiple times, trying to gather words before Hoseok spoke up, once again interrupting him.
 
"You'll be okay without me."
 
Without him. Taehyung's fears and sorrows grew larger. His mind didn't even cross the fact that he'd be without Hoseok. He'd never have his company. He'd never have him, never again. The thoughts caused Taehyung's quiet tears to evolve into sobs.
 
Hoseok slowly frowned at his reaction, feeling as if he'd made it worse. "Look at me."
Taehyung lifted his head slowly and looked at Hoseok with his tired and broken eyes.
 
"What do I do when you're sad, Taehyung?"
 
Taehyung's gaze darted around the room before finding the words to speak more than sob. "You.. try to cheer me up, I guess-"
 
"Do I seem happy when I do that?"
 
"I guess, but-"
 
Hoseok gripped both of Taehyung's hands in his own, making heavy eye contact. "So do that for me, please, Taehyung. I'm always happy for you. So please, just be happy for me."
 
Taehyung sat, looking deep into his eyes with slight shock. He remained silent, his crying slowing down.
 
"Look, you've stopped sobbing." Hoseok's eyes fell droopy and looking onto the floor as he let out a small, tough laugh.
 
"But can you please smile for me?"
 
Taehyung felt the hands of loneliness claw at his heart. He couldn't be happy. He couldn't smile, he couldn't laugh. Never. Taehyung looked at Hoseok's now closed eyes, feeling his sparks of anxiety turn into flying flames when he saw Hoseok with his eyes shut and his breathes slowly growing shallow. When Hoseok's deep, onyx eyes opened once again, a small twinge of relief grew in Taehyung, triggering a small smile across his face.
 
Hoseok smiled back. A true, happy smile. That smile Taehyung loved so dearly. The one that meant everything would be okay.
 
"Don't ever stop smiling. Don't ever stop being happy." Hoseok choked out quietly, before he slowly tilted his head to the side and his eyes fluttered close.
 
Taehyung watched him, lost in thought, his hands still clasped in Hoseok's. He didn't understand the situation, he didn't understand why Hoseok wanted him to be smiling.
 
The only thing that broke Taehyung from his thoughts was the slow, drawn out beep of the heart monitor.
 
Taehyung's eyes grew wide, panic bubbling in his chest. He squeaked helplessly, frozen where he was sitting. He couldn't breathe. He couldn't move. He couldn't call for help.
It wasn't more than a few seconds that the doctors had rushed into the room, and ushered around the room.
 
All Taehyung remembers after those few seconds was just a blur. A blur of sadness, a blur of brokenness. He had lost the most important thing to ever exist to him. He had lost the most special thing to ever exist. When Hoseok drew his last breath Taehyung had lost the precious feeling of happiness.
 
Hoseok just wanted one thing. One thing, of anything Taehyung was willing to give him. Hoseok wanted Taehyung to be happy. He wanted him to smile, to move on. He didn't want Hoseok to be his last memory. He wanted Taehyung to be his.
 
Taehyung wasn't ever the same. Taehyung didn't feel blissful. He didn't feel perfect. He didn't feel true love. But he remembered Hoseok. He remembered his love, he remembered all the memories. He remembered the feeling of his skin, his touch, his gaze. He remembered Hoseok's smile.
 
Taehyung will keep smiling. Taehyung will smile because Hoseok loved it. Because he loved Hoseok. He won't ever stop smiling. He won't ever stop being happy. He's happy because he existed. He's happy because Hoseok loved him. He's happy.
 
And that's a reason to smile.