final.

Look Both Ways Before Crossing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Just one more look in the mirror, Jongin tells himself. He tries to straighten the bowtie he decided to wear and pushes back his wire framed glasses to the bridge of his nose. It's not like his outfit can be seen beneath his winter coat and scarf though it makes him a tad more confident when dressing nicely. A shaky hand goes through his formerly styled hair. There's no point in bothering to fix it anymore. He has been sweating profusely ever since last night. His eye bags are proof that he also couldn't sleep at all, for the rising sun would commence the impending doom. Jongin is overreacting, though don't tell him that.

 

You see, it's a normal Friday morning for most people, but for Jongin it's D-Day. He was going to finally confess to the kind crossing guard he had a crush on. He's harbored the crush since last Fall when the petite man began working near SM Elementary School. Jongin has been a first grade teacher for three years now. He had always wanted to be a teacher. Some say it's not a job that rakes in large amount of money nor a well-respected profession, when it should be. There are even times ignorant people who don't agree a man should be teaching young children. Jongin has learned not to take those harsh words personally.

 

Based on his experience, Jongin could've easily worked at a prestigious high school. Work with people almost twice his age and teach students who only care about attending the top schools upon graduation. He remembers how difficult it was for him being a high school student. Having extra tutoring lessons or cram school until late at night. Friday afternoons and weekends were not time for leisure. It was precious time where he would be forced to do mock exams all day.

 

Jongin vowed to never go through that process ever again. He still condemns the Korean school system overworking the youth. There was a great amount of pressure for the teachers as well. In all, preparing for the college entrance exams was legit hell. Selling your soul is never meant to be pretty.

 

He enjoys the friendly environment an elementary school has. The children are always eager to learn new things. He doesn't mind attending to a crying student or a student who soils their pants. Jongin was the youngest in his family, so he saw his little students as his siblings.

 

Their wondrous eyes and wide smiles have him willing to go to work bright and early five days a week. At SM, he's not the only male teacher at the school and they are relatively around his age, which is comforting. Though he's the youngest among all of the teachers and at even 26 years old he still gets babied from time to time.

 

After deeming himself presentable enough to face the world (for Jongin his world is achingly cute Kyungsoo), he grabs his messenger bag and rushes to make it to the train station in time. The distance from his apartment to the station is not far, but the amount of stairs he has to take are unforgiving. Jongin sighs in relief when he looks at the screen indicating the train has yet to arrive.

 

His cheeks are rosy from the cold bite of the winter wind as his feet shift in place, waiting for the train to arrive at the platform. Soon enough he'll be in the warmth of the train cars. Most stations are usually underground but his stop is the few places where him and many other people have to wait outside.

 

The school teacher knows Kyungsoo arrives about two hours before homeroom starts at 8:30AM. There is no need to appear until 8AM since that is the time where the students usher and rush inside. Yet Kyungsoo likes to be around in case there are early birds. Be it students, staff, or people who live around the neighborhood Kyungsoo is known to help anyone cross the street with a bright smile on his face.

 

Jongin swears Kyungsoo has perfected a way to make his poor heart beat so rapidly it bursts away into smithereens: the shape of Kyungsoo's lips, large eyes that turn into endearing crescents, the chirpy voice that greets him "Good Morning." How can Jongin not have a wonderful morning after the heavens allowed this angel to acknowledge his existence? Jongin always puts the pieces of his heart back together because it allows him to see Kyungsoo for a heart fleeting moment the next morning.

 

Unfortunately, Kyungsoo doesn't work in the afternoons, something about having to teach at a singing academy on the other side of Seoul. Though Kyungsoo has never told Jongin directly about it. Jongin had to hear it from his colleagues, Jongdae and Chanyeol. They get along with Kyungsoo fairly well. His colleagues are very friendly and Jongdae had already known Kyungsoo through a mutual friend as well. Jongin tries his best not to show his jealousy whenever they mention hanging out with his so-called angel.

 

His colleagues see right through him. It's hard not to ignore the way his eyes light up at the mere mention of Kyungsoo or whenever his face turns sour when they mention the fun they had during the weekend with Kyungsoo. However the two men have never voiced about Jongin's crush before. They have thought giving Jongin a little push in the near future wouldn't hurt.

 

Jongin finds himself pathetic for not being able to hold a real conversation with the crossing guard. He hasn't even formally introduced himself to Kyungsoo and yet he knows the other's name. Thanks to Jongdae and Chanyeol who talked about him one day over coffee at the faculty break room. So for the past five months their relationship hasn't progressed. Should Jongin even call it a relationship? They have never spoken more than a full sentence to each other at a time.

 

Regardless, for fifteen seconds the school teacher relishes that Kyungsoo has eyes only for him. Well, Kyungsoo actually has eye for the traffic, a group of children running across, or the old lady who is coming back from a morning walk at the nearby park. Though Jongin likes to dream that Kyungsoo's attention is directed towards just him. He's thought of arriving earlier to have a chance to talk to Kyungsoo, but he always scurries across the street. His steps grow heavier whenever he realizes another opportunity has been wasted.

 

There was also that embarrassing time that Jongin was too busy watching Kyungsoo guide a line of children across the street to notice the portable stop sign hitting his face. Despite the large red mark on his forehead for the rest of the day, Jongin assured he was completely fine.

 

Jongin doesn't want to think the reason he takes a second look at the outfit he chooses for the day or why he practices for hours with the mirror so that the tug of lips are just right. All of his efforts is for almost a complete stranger. It's maddening how much Kyungsoo can affect him all the time.

 

Oh boy is Jongin in deep.

 

Jongin had left a bit earlier than usual in order to give himself some time to stop by the florist shop near the school. The store doesn't usually open this early. A week earlier, Jongin had a talk with the owner, Baekhyun. Jongin negotiated, more so pleaded his case and agreed to pay double the amount for a rare bouquet of lavender roses and baby's breath. He can live with eating onigiri from the convenience store for awhile. He knows the sincere meaning behind the roses and it doesn't matter if Kyungsoo wasn't aware. Jongin had always dreamt of confessing with a bunch of roses.

 

Albeit the setting was not ideal, Jongin innocently hopes his efforts will sweep Kyungsoo off his feet like in his favorite movies. He thought of doing the confession through a sketchpad, but he was too embarrassed to write his own feelings on paper. That also seemed a bit over the top to ask someone on a date. Jongin knew he would be pressed for time and thought he roses would be enough.

 

Baekhyun opens the door to the florist shop for Jongin. The florist cheerily greets him and Jongin returns the greeting. Baekhyun goes to a certain fridge and Jongin beams when his eyes lay upon the prepared bouquet. Jongin has never seen lavender roses in person and they're even more beautiful than pictures. (Definitely not as beautiful as his angel.) Baekhyun informs him about how to take care of the roses and Jongin diligently listens. He doubts he will be able to tell Kyungsoo all of this. There's

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter