1.1

Universal Attraction and the Motion that rules us

“...and that's what Isaac Newton meant when he formulated the Three Laws of Motion” finished the teacher, drawing the last symbol of the equation on the whiteboard.

Jinyoung stared blankly for a second, and then hurried to copy everything there was to scribble on his notebook, that was almost empty for he was trying so hard to catch up with the class he forgot to write notes down. He was so focused on being focused that he actually failed on paying attention. Typical.

“We're finishing here” said the man “The upcoming test next Monday will include this too, so be sure to study it carefully”

The upcoming test will include this too. Jinyoung didn't even want to think about how many other things he was going to have to read for the freaking test. Really, he should've started studying some days ago, as he was so hopeless with physics, but his guitar and procrastinating were too appealing and he was too weak.

“You didn't write anything down” Shinwoo observed. Jinyoung looked up, his friend was standing by his seat, his bag hanging from his shoulder, clearly waiting for him. His things were still sprawled all over the desk.

“I know” Jinyoung quickly stocked his notebook on his backpack, not wanting Shinwoo to look at his useless and almost non existent notes “I got kind of stuck”

Shinwoo smiled at that “Did you even understand something?”

“I'm trying, Dongwoo” the boy replied, unable to hold a smile.

“I know, would you like some help? I've seen you struggling with this since freshman year but never seen you this confused”

“Aren't you too busy with clubs and stuff?”

Shinwoo waved it off “For you, I can manage”

Jinyoung felt his cheeks a little warmer than usual, a smile creeping on his lips. “Well, that'd be great”

“We'll start tomorrow then. I'll go to your house after archery club, and you better be ready” the boy said “I won't go easy on you”

That made Jinyoung blush a little more.

* * *

His uniform was neatly folded over his chair, not that Shinwoo didn't know he was some messy and that his clothes were always left forgotten sprawled over his bed. But he was feeling anxious and didn't know what else to do. Jinyoung rubbed his arms, suddenly cold on his shirtless top, Shinwoo was taking too long to come.

Guitar on his lap, Jinyoung started started whistling a song, trying to make the minutes pass faster. He surely wasn't looking forward a math session, but alone time with his friend was something he had begun growing fonder of lately. Lucky Dongwoo was slow, for sure he still hadn't noticed this recently released eager nature.


 

Dongwoo felt like he was on auto play. Physics, Maths, Science, all of them were a piece of cake, what wasn't a piece of cake was making his friend understand any of this. Jinyoung could be very clever with music. Really, Shinwoo thought there was no one like him, but surely he wasn't brilliant in school. He did good enough to pass in other subjects, but psychs and maths... well, it was better not to go there.

Hi sighed, his mouth a little dry for explaining the same thing three times.

“Jinnie” he said, his tone patient “I'll make it simple. If you have a ball, the ball will stay still until you kick it, right?”

“Right”

“That's what it means when Newton says that you have to apply a force upon an object or it will stay as it is, not moving”

“Well, that's pretty obvious” Jinyoung told him, looking at him as if he was dumb “The ball won't move itself”

“That's what I've been telling you for the last twenty minutes”

“You didn't say it like that. Our teacher didn't say it like that. Newton didn't say it like that. Why do all of you insist on making everything so complicated?” the boy asked, exasperated.

Shinwoo didn't respond, he just drew the equation for the first Law of Movement on the notebook, then pointed at it with the pencil.

“Explain this, then”

“But I don't understand this” Jinyoung said simply.

The oldest boy held a groan “I just explained it to you”

Jinyoung stared at the numbers, but as much as he tried, they didn't make any sense to him. He knew Shinwoo was trying, and he also knew he was losing his patience. That was the main reason that despite them being friends for a couple years now, they didn't study together that much. Shinwoo understood things too fast, and he was... well, he was good at other kind of things. He didn't want to make him mad.

Shinwoo looked at his friend, his head lowered over the notebook, quiet. It was a different kind of quiet than usual, and he suspected the inclination of his head was due to something on the line of embarrassment more than concentration.

He didn't know why Jinyoung never asked for help. He would have offered himself to teach him a thousand times if he didn't know how much his friend appreciated alone time; he didn't want to be a burden. But if Jinyoung had asked for help before, it would be easier to study for him now. And maybe he wouldn't have to feel that thug of sadness he felt when he saw him so troubled.


 

First Law: An object continues to do whatever it happens to be doing unless a force is exerted upon it.

Shinwoo leaned over Jinyoung's shoulder, their faces so close that he could feel the tingle caused by the touch of his cheek. Or maybe it was just another of his twisted daydreams.

“This 'F' represents the force you apply on the object...” he started explaining, and Jinyoung focused on his voice.

Dongwoo's cheek was hot against his, and the softness of a recently shaved skin made his mind drift away from the lesson. He smelled like soap and lavender, probably had a shower after archery, and his hair was still a little wet by his ear. Jinyoung forced himself to come back to reality.

“Did you get it now?”

“Yes” he lied, desperate for Shinwoo to stand further away from him.

But Shinwoo didn't back up, instead, he lowered his head more, looking at him directly in the eyes.

“Really?”

Jinyoung always thought his best friend's nose was specially cute, rounded and soft edged. He pressed his own nose against it, out of fearful impulse.

“Yes, Shin Dongwoo”

“I knew you were smart” he said before placing a wet kiss on his forehead “I gotta go”

Jinyoung reached the spot where his best friend lips had touched him a second ago, speechless, and saw him leaving his bedroom. He wanted to say goodbye, but his mouth dropped instead.

***

Second Law: heavier objects require more force to move the same distance as lighter objects

Shinwoo felt somehow calm about the whole deal.

Yes, he had kissed his best friend and he knew he should be paranoid about it, and he was, really deep inside. But he was also glad, because he knew that if he didn't do it that night would have been another one of insomnia and hopeful thoughts followed by hopeless ones followed by emptiness. He knew it didn't mean he had confessed, or that they were dating, or that even Jinyoung felt the same way about him, nevertheless, he knew he couldn't go one more day without some way of physical contact; Jinyoung was too inviting.

Even if he had convinced himself he was completely chill, a weight lifted from his shoulders when he entered the classroom and Jinyoung was there, his head buried in his arms and his headphones on. Careless as every other day, as if nothing ever happened. He wasn't sure if that hurt his pride as much as it made him calm, but at least he didn't seem upset.

His hand made its way to his friend's hair, ruffling it softly.

“Morning”

Jinyoung straightened in his seat and studied him, serious. Then he chuckled. “Morning”

“You have horrible dark circles” Shinwoo pointed kindly.

Yes, because I stayed up late trying to understand that damned equation. “Thank you?”

If you weren't so handsome it would be a problem for sure” Shinwoo had to look away as he said this, way to be subtle, .

A spark crossed the eyes of his friend. He was pure sharpness. “That's why you kissed me yesterday? Because I'm handsome?”

Shinwoo's heart stopped, his eyes scanned the room quickly, but none of the few students that were there were looking at them. He faked calm. “No” he said, casual “I told you already, it was because you are smart after all. Also, we're best friends, there's nothing odd about a kiss like that.”

“That's what I thought” Jinyoung agreed, his weight on the back of the chair.

“Right, so, your place again today?”

“Sure”

“Sure”

***

Universal Gravitation Law: two objects exert a stronger gravitational force of attraction on each other. The force gets stronger as the two objects move closer together.

Neither Shinwoo nor Jinyoung brought up the subject again, but as the day passed by, there was one question that kept rising to the surface over and over; have they ever touched each other so much before? Because everytime they reached for a pencil, everytime they reached for something inside their bags, their hands touched, their fingers encountered, their gazed found each other. And it was starting to confuse them even more.

By the time they were walking towards the youngest house, they bumped on each other so much they started to make fun of it. Anything not to overthink it.

“It seems like you're drunk” Shinwoo teased when Jinyoung's shoulder hit his as they rounded a corner.

Drunk on you, probably. “I'm just tired” the boy excused himself “You know, as I have these horrid dark circles and all.”

Dongwoo grabbed his hand, his grip firm and warm. “Let's hurry so you can at least sit down”

Jinyoung held his hand back, and stepped up so his shoulders would touch Shinwoo's again. Eagerness taking the best of him so often he couldn't quite control it anymore.


 

They sat on the floor by Jinyoung's bed, they placed the notebook between them, as an unspoken agreement of stopping themselves of being so close together and focus on what was really important. Still, the youngest of the boys leaned a little over to Dongwoo's side, pretending to look at the numbers.

“Universal Law of Gravitation is pretty simple” Shinwoo said, moving closer too. It wasn't his fault entirely, he had just given up to the fact that he needed a little of Jinyoung sometimes “it just declares that if two bodies are close together they will attract each other as closer to each other they are. And if they're big, the attraction is worse.”

Jinyoung gave him a confused look, understanding only half of it.

You don't really need to understand why it happens, it only does... like this” Dongwoo grabbed his friend's hand and left it up in the air, and then he draw his own near to it, bringing them closer. “Can you feel it? How they... attract each... other?”

Suddenly Shinwoo felt really stupid for doing that.

But Jinyoung took him out of his self-imposed pity with the subtle mocking smirk that decorated his face.

Yes, I can feel it” he told him, his voice a little lower than usual. His index finger finding the others fingertip, rubbing softly. “You said bigger bodies attract each other harder”

Yeah, I think I did”

I'm still not sure how it works” Jinyoung lied, any effort to be subtle long gone.


 

Third Law: When one body exerts a force on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force equal in magnitude and opposite in direction on the first body.

Shinwoo moved his body as close as he could to Jinyoung's without touching him, but when he spoke, Jinyoung could feel his breath in his lips.

“It's something like this...” the long haired boy let go before leaning in and kissing his friend. Jinyoung kissed back the same way he was receiving, softly and quiet, until he decided the body he was being attracted to was too powerful and that shy kisses won't do.

So he made his tongue into the others cavity, tracing hungrily every inch of his mouth. Shinwoo didn't want to be left behind and kissed him back passionately, but never aggressive. Shinwoo could never be aggressive, Jinyoung thought, and that only made him want to kiss him more. He lost his fingers into his silky locks.

Dongwoo gave him a last peck and broke the kiss, unwillingly letting go, but needing to look his friend in the eyes.

“You understood quite well” he joked. Jinyoung loved it when he joked, when it meant he felt relaxed. He loved Shinwoo felt relaxed after something like that.

“You said I was smart” Jinyoung smirked “But maybe I need you to explain a little better”

Shinwoo pressed their noses together, and Jinyoung found the others lips forced by the Universal Law of Unavoidable Attraction.