Today

No Make Up

Wednesday, February 10th

"I'll pick you up at 6 okay?"

"Hmm... okay!" she answered immidiately. "Where are we going exactly?"

"It's a secret. Just be punctual, yes?"

"Alright alright."

 

Sunday, February 14th

He arrived in front of her apartment building at 5.50, waited for 5 minutes before going up. Minhyuk straightened his shoulder before pressing the doorbell.

"Oy, Minhyuk!" came a voice from the telecom.

"Hello noona"

"Ah it's valentine's day right? ." muttered Jessica before opening the door. 

Minhyuk laughed, then opened the door to her house. Jessica was standing in front of the door, wearing pink pajamas and holding a blanket. "You look comfortable, noona." He teased, handing her a plastic bag. "So I brought you a gift."

"Yeah yeah tease me all you want." Jessica took the plastic bag. "Hmm smells nice."

"It's chicken and some french fries."

"Wow thanks, you got my sister all night long." Jessica winked her right eye before disappearing to the kitchen. 

Minhyuk blushed. That was not his plan. His plan was to bring Soojung to a nice restaurant, gave her the bouquets of lilies he made this morning, gave her the presents he bought in Japan, and probably kiss her. He hasn't kissed her yet. His cheeks felt warm at the thought. They were dating for a month now, and all they did was held her hand.

The hyungs and Jungshin about it. 

Especially Yonghwa. 

That rude bastard went all the way with Seohyun earlier last year and bragged about it. Telling everyone he was going to marry her after his military duty next year. 

Minhyuk sat at the living room. Jessica was watching a movie on HBO, munching on her chicken. 

It's been 15 minutes after he arrived and there were no signs of Soojung coming out of her room. 

"Where is she?" Minhyuk asked Jessica.

"Probably deciding on what to wear today."

"She hasn't decided yet?!" Minhyuk sighed. It'll take all night then. Everyone knows how picky Soojung is when it came to the clothes she wears.

"Ha! I'm kidding. She already bought a dress two days ago."

Another 15 minutes passed.

He heard her bedroom door opened, then heard Soojung's voice. "I'll be there in 5 minutes, oppa I'm really sorry!"

Then another 10 minutes.

Minhyuk was afraid they're going to lose their table at the restaurant. It was so hard to book at the new French restaurant, he even pulled the "CN Blue" card, it granted him a private room at the back of the restaurant, even a private parking lot. 

"I'm coming to get her."

"I'll prepare your burial ceremony." Jessica laughed.

He knocked on her door. 

"Soojung-ah."

"OPPA I'M REALLY REALLY SORRY"

The door opened, revealing a very messy room. "Oh my God oh my God oh my God." Soojung was trying to wear her necklace. "I'm really sorry are we going to be late? I chose the wrong eyeshadow and I looked like a ghost earlier! Do I look okay??"

Minhyuk went behind her, helping her putting on the necklace.

"Here let me help you, and yes you look absolutely perfect."

 

The dinner was a mess.

Everything was a mess.

The traffic was crazy tonight, and when they arrived at the restaurant, another VIP was using their table. Minhyuk sighed, this is definitely not the way he imagined his first valentine with Soojung would be.

Soojung was absolutely felt guilty. 

"I'm really sorry." she said when they're inside his car again. He already took off his suit and was just starting his car. He didn't know where to go. 

"It's okay."

"I'm really really sorry." she stuttered. 

"It's really really okay, Soojung." He touched her cold hands. "We can go somewhere else."

She was looking out the window, to the passing lights. 

"All my life, everyone was always comparing me to onnie." she said suddenly, making his head turned to her.

"Jessica was so pretty. Jessica was so beautiful because she smiled a lot. Jessica's laugh was contagius you cannot help but laugh with her. All the boys loves Jessica and all the girls wanted to be her." 

Minhyuk didn't know what to say so he kept silent and just stared at the road in front of him. 

"All my life, I was number two to my sister. She was always the prettier Jung, I was the maknae who would hide behind her. I was afraid of people, you know?"

"She was my voice even after I became trainee. She stood by myself and she protected me and loved me but still I envied her. She was always so pretty and... open. It's like she can talk to anyone about everything.

She just clicked to people, you know?"

She felt tears running down her cheek. 

Stupid Soojung, she thought to herself. Why are you crying?!

"I cannot... do that. I don't know why. I just... I cannot."

"But with you, I do.

I clicked.

That's why I wanted to be prettier in front of you, I want you to be proud to have me as your girlfriend, 

I want people to say "oh, Minhyuk's girlfriend is so pretty"

I want to be pretty for you but I am also stupid when it came to choosing my make up.

That is also why I ruined our first valentine together."

"I'm sorry."

"You don't have to be sorry, Soojung, really."

She sighed, then leaned her head to the window. "I'm sorry I don't know why I told all of this."

"I'm always here to listen."

She smiled. "Where are we going anyway?"

"My house."

 

His house was--of course-- empty, and his cats greeted them when they arrived. 

He held her shoulders. "Please make me some ramen."

"Ramen?" 

"Yes, I'm starving."

She shrugged her shoulders and went to the kitchen while he went to his bedroom.

 

"The ramen's ready." She opened his bedroom's door. "What are you doing?"

He was unplugging a USB device. "Nothing. Let's eat."

She sat two bowls of ramen at the dining table. 

"Let's eat in front on the TV. I need to show you something." 

They moved to the living room, Minhyuk already sat at the sofa, pressing the remote.

"Eat before it gets cold,"

Soojung's heart sank seeing the ramen. They were supposed to be eating at a fancy French restaurant, the one he picked for her. But here they were, eating ramen at his apartment, watching TV. 

Next year, I'll prepare everything. Soojung vowed to herself.

She began stirring her ramen.

 

진하게 화장을 하고
예쁘게 머리를 하고
오늘도 집을 나서는 넌 예뻐

 

"Do you know you look prettiest without your make up?" 

She stopped eating. The TV was showing footages of her as a kid, Zion. T's beautiful voice was playing at the background. Minhyuk was staring at her.

Lovingly.

"What?"

높은 구두를 신고
짧은 치마를 입고
있는 너 너무나 아름다워 but

넌 모를 거야
자다가 일어나 살짝 부은 얼굴이
얼마나 예쁜지

"This is what you need to see." Minhyuk said, pointing to the TV.

It was Soojung on her trainee days, working hard with sweat on her face as she danced. "You look pretty when you dance, when you sing, hell you look pretty when you pout."

넌 모를 거야
자기 전 세수한 니 모습이
얼마나 예쁜지

자꾸 거울 보지마
몸무게 신경 쓰지마
넌 그냥 그대로 너무 예쁜 걸
No make up ye no make up ye
No make up 일 때 제일 예쁜 너

It was now her debut days as F(x) member. "When you became Krystal, those girls doesn't stand a chance."

She glanced at him, he was watching the TV with a smile on his face. "You're really really pretty."

빨간색 립스틱보다
투명한 립밤이 좋아
저 하늘 구름보다 자연스러워

"I really didn't know why you think you're not pretty. Because look at you." He pointed at the TV and looked at her. "You're like an angel."

"Stop it." She felt her cheeks blushed.

"I won't stop looking at you." he grinned.

어제도 힘들었는지
너무 지쳐 보여 너
이리 와서 내 품에 안겨 baby

넌 모를 거야
아이라인 없이 웃는
너의 예쁜 눈 웃음을

"The thing is Soojung, you are pretty in your own way, I think every girl is. Sure, Jessica noona is pretty and everybody loves her, but you're something else. 

You're Soojung.

And you are special too. You may not smile as often as other girls but that's probably your charm. Your smile was so precious you cannot give them to random people.

I felt lucky enough I can see your smile everyday. I am glad you're my girlfriend, my best friend, someone I can talk to about everything. And yes, I am proud that you are my girlfriend. If I could, I would tell the world that you are mine and I am yours."

"Happy Valentine's day, pretty Soojung."

 

넌 모를 거야
메이크업 베이스 지우면
빛나는 우유빛 피부

자꾸 거울 보지마
몸무게 신경 쓰지마
넌 그냥 그대로 너무 예쁜 걸
No make up ye no make up ye
No make up 일 때 제일 예쁜 너

아무리 얘기해도 넌 모르겠다고 하지만
(바보 같아)
오늘 내일 다음 날도 매일 말해 주고파
(예쁜 얼굴)

넌 그냥 그대로 너무 예쁜 걸
No make up ye no make up ye
No make up 일 때 제일 예쁜 너