ㅤㅤㅤPART ONE.

Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

Seolhyun and Wooshin were the best of friends. Basically growing up together, they were attached to the hip and nothing could separate them. From when they were toddlers to the day they entered high school, there wasn’t anything in the world that could come between them. They shared joy and laughter, pain and sorrow, secrets no one else knew, and memories nothing can replace. They were the perfect partners in crime. Until one day, everything fell apart.

 

LAST DAY OF SCHOOL, JUNIOR YEAR

 

“What do you mean you’re going to China tomorrow?!” Seolhyun exclaimed, the news making her stop on her tracks. Wooshin sighed and halted as well, turning around to face his best friend who was now pouting in front of him.

“I just found out this morning, okay?” he replies.

“And you’re only telling me now?!” Seolhyun raises her voice, obviously upset that her best friend has kept this information from her. Wooshin was flying to China the next day for a month-long stay, the longest the two will ever be away from each other. His mother arranged a Mandarin crash course for him at a review center in China.

Wooshin lets out another sigh. “Because I knew you’d be sappy about it all day!”

Seolhyun lets out a sound which sounded very much like a puppy’s whimper. She clung onto Wooshin’s arm and pouted even harder. “Why can’t you just take Mandarin classes here? They already teach it in school anyway!”

“Mother says it’ll be good for my college application.”

“But still! What am I supposed to do for the entire summer without you? What about all those plans we made? You don’t expect me to do those alone don’t you?”

Wooshin shrugs and starts walking, dragging the clinging Seolhyun with her.  “Hang out with Hyejeong or something.”

Seolhyun huffs. “She has a boyfriend now. I’m pretty sure she’ll be spending all her time with him.”

Wooshin perks up, making Seolhyun let go of him. “Yah, Kim Seolhyun, you can’t get a boyfriend while I’m gone! You  know every guy who wants to date you has to go through me first! And you can’t replace me either!”

“You’re not allowed to have a new best friend in China either!” Seolhyun retorts. “Promise!” She raises her pinky and waits for Wooshin to link his with hers. Wooshin chuckles, linking their pinkies together. “Promise.”    

 

SUMMER VACATION, ONE WEEK BEFORE SCHOOL STARTS

Seolhyun was having breakfast, the usual milk and cereal she was starting to get sick of. Wooshin hasn’t messaged her in a while. The longer he was away, the shorter and less frequent his messages got. It worried Seolhyun, but Wooshin said he was just busy with trying to master Mandarin in the span of a month. She understood, of course, but she couldn’t help but miss her best friend. “I heard Wooshin got back early this morning?” Her mother said, putting containers of side dishes in the fridge. Seolhyun nodded, finishing up her food. “I’m dropping by his place later. He has to pay for leaving me alone for a month.”  Seolhyun huffed.

That afternoon Seolhyun ringed the doorbell more enthusiastically than usual. She couldn’t wait to see Wooshin’s face. He owed her a lot of stories, and she had her own stories to share too. She expected Wooshin to open the door, because she expected he was expecting her. But it was his mother, and she was told that Wooshin was still resting, and didn’t want to be disturbed. Seolhyun’s face fell. China wasn’t that far, but Seolhyun tried to understand that of course Wooshin would want a day to just sleep, after studying all vacation. Besides, they still had the entire week ahead of them to catch up.

Tuesday. Wednesday. Thursday. Friday. All these days have gone by and she hasn’t even caught sight of Wooshin’s shadow. Seolhyun was starting to get upset. She messaged him multiple times,  inviting him to hang out

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter