A not so ordinary day...

Library secrets

Yerin P.O.V

I sit in the classroom and watch the clouds form random figures in the sky. Right there on the left I can see a cone of ice-cream and next to it forms a delicious looking cake. Seems like I'm hungry again...

My cloud gazing finds an abrupt end when I hear the sonorous voice of the teacher call out my name:

"Jung Yerin! Are you daydreaming again?"

I feel the heat rising up in my cheeks at his words and turn my gaze down in shame while saying:

"I'm sorry, mister Kim, but I'm so hungry..."

A pout forms on my lips at this and the whole class starts to laugh out loud at my words. Mister Kim heaves a sigh and exclaims:

"Such a shikshin seriously... If you would at least pay half as much attention to my classes like you do on your daily meals your grades could be much higher, miss Jung..."

My cheeks are once again heating up at this and I sigh in relief at the sound of the bell that indicates the long awaited lunchbreak. I feel someone linking arms with me and my mood immediately brightens up at the voice soft voice of my dongsaeng:

"Unnie, you look hungry. Shall we go to the cafeteria together? I have a little request to you. Are you free this afternoon?"

EunBi and I are lining in the queue of students before the food counter in the cafeteria and I answer her:

"Of course I am. You know that I always have time for my dongsaeng. Why are you asking though?"

Her eyes are sparkling and she tells me in an excited tone:

"That's great, unnie because I want to go to the city's library today after school and would like you to accompany me there, please."

Actually I should study for my upcoming science exam but going to the library sounds much better. I am in contrary to my dongsaeng who loves books and school anything but a nerd.

However, if she wants me to accompany her there then how could I possibly say no, especially when she gives me those irresistable puppy eyes?

So I answer her:

"Of course I will accompany you there, EunBi-ah. What do you want there though if I might ask?"

She tells me in a casual way:

"Oh, just want to borrow new books from there and retread the ones I finished reading, unnie."

I nod my head in understanding and don't ask any further questions. My dongsaeng is a nerd after all so such actions are only natural for her.

I personally get goosebumps at the mere imagination of having to read a full book. Hopefully I won't die in a place full of bookshelves.

A squeal escapes my lips at the lively imagination of a huge shelve full of heavy books that slowly falls down and burries me under its weight.

Once I open my eyes again and return from my nightmare weirded out looks are fixed on me like so many times before.

 

My heart is melting when my dongsaeng wraps one arm around me protectively and tells those people while shooting one of her infamous icy glares:

"Mind your own business! There's absolutely nothing to see here, arasso?"

Everyone immediately returns to doing their thing since they are probably afraid of what my dongsaeng might do to them if they won't comply to her demand.

I whisper to her:

"Thank you for once again saving me, EunBi-ah and sorry for being such an embarrassing unnie..."

She tells me softly:

"You're always welcome, unnie and you aren't embarrassing just special. I'm proud that I can call someone like you my sister."

I bite my lower lip and have tears in my eyes at her touching confession. I smile at her softly and answer her in all honesty:

"I am also very proud to be able to call such an amazing girl like you my little sister, EunBi-ah. How does an epic pabo like me deserve a dongsaeng that's so beautiful and intelligent?"

She shakes her head and says in the warmest way:

"Unnie, you aren't an epic pabo, okay? Like I already said before you are a very special girl and being intelligent isn't everything. You have different qualities, like you are very warm-hearted, sweet, funny, caring and selfless."

I once again thank her at her sweet words and once again feel like the happiest person to have her as a dongsaeng. Without her I would seriously be lost in this world!

After stuffing myself with lunch and also eating my dongsaeng's left-overs, since she told me that she simply can't eat as much we leave the cafeteria again and go to our seperate rooms.

I sigh heavily at the realization that we have my most behated subject English next. How I hate this language! Also the teacher seems to hate me since no matter what I do she constantly calls me out and wants me to do several stuff that I can't do.

The worst thing in my opinion is when she wants me to read a whole text in the language aloud. My class always laughs at me when I do this, since my English must sound very funny.

I honestly don't find this funny at all and would sometimes wish that my dongsaeng would go to the same class as me so that she could protect me from those jerks.

However, since she is one year younger than me this is sadly impossible. Though because she is such a genius she could most likely skip a year and become my classmate if she would want to.

The thing is that she likes to play safe and fair and therefore doesn't want to do this much to my dismay. Also there is this boy in her class that I personally think she has a crush on.

His name is Jeon Jung-kook and he is pretty popular around the girls of our school. I personally am afraid that he will break my dongsaeng's innocent heart, since he is said to be a huge player.

 

Our classes for the day have fortunately ended and I grab my bag and leave the classroom immediately. I make my way to the front gate of the school, in order to meet my dongsaeng there.

My alarmbells are ringing once I see Jung-kook standing there talking to my dongsaeng who smiles brightly. Yah, how dare this boy flirt with her like this in front of my very eyes?

I'm fuming inside at this sight! He leaves right before I arrive at the gate and goes back to his pals. Tsk, just right before I could scold him epically for getting too close to my dongsaeng.

I whisper:

"You got away this time, Jeon Jung-kook..."

EunBi asks me innocently:

"Unnie, what's with the face?"

I answer her:

"You were talking to Jeon Jung-kook. Did he flirt with you, EunBi-ah?"

Her eyes are widening in utmost shock and she exclaims:

"Unnie, it wasn't anything like this! Kookie and I are best friends and he didn't flirt with me but told me about that new movie he went to see with his brother yesterday which apparently was pretty funny. How could you seriously assume that we were flirting?"

My cheeks are heating up madly and I whisper in an embarrassed tone:

"Gosh, I'm really such a big pabo... Please excuse my behaviour and embarrassing you like this, EunBi-ah..."

She smiles softly and answers me:

"Aniyo, unnie. It's completely fine. People mostly assume that a boy and a girl that are close have to be dating, or flirting. However, Kookie and my friendship proves that a boy and a girl very well can be best friends and nothing more."

I feel a slight pinch of jealousy at her words in my chest. Just what is wrong with me? Shouldn't I be happy that my dongsaeng has a best friend like this?

However, since it is this player I'm afraid that he could only use her and has ulterior motives. I was so engrossed in thinking that I didn't even notice that we've already arrived at the library first until I hear my dongsaeng exclaim:

"Earth to Yerin, we've arrived at the library. You should watch out, since there is a huge step before you and I don't want you to fall face first onto the hard ground."

I immediately wake up from my trance like state and somehow manage to not trip and fall epically. What a relief... My head starts to spin at the bookshelves that are all around me just like in my nightmare from before.

I start to feel surrounded. Keep your act together, Jung Yerin. This is only a library and the books are not gonna kill you. At least I hope they won't...

When I return from my daze I notice in shock that my dongsaeng is gone. Oh no! Awesome that's what I get for daydreaming!

 

 

SinB P.O.V

I am currently absorbed in reading my book when I hear the annoying voice of Kim Umji next to me.

"Unnie! EunBi is here again!"

I heave a sigh and ask her in a desinterested tone:

"So?"

She looks at me in disbelief and whines:

"Why do you keep on ignoring me like this? I want to talk to you but instead you constantly read your books and never pay any attention to me. As your best friend I deserve your attention, unnie!"

I heave another sigh and close my book, since I can't concentrate like this. My heart is oddly beating faster when I spot an unfamiliar cute girl searching around the place like she is searching for something special. Something, or someone?

That is the question here. I resume reading my book since Umji has finally left my side because her unnie called her for help. While reading my book I get startled by a tap on my shoulder and a warm voice that asks me:

"Excuse me, but have you seen a young girl with doe eyes in a pink dress and with long dark hair in a pony tail?"

From the description of the girl she is searching for I immediately know that it's the girl with the same first name like me, EunBi. Just what does everyone want from this girl? First my best friend and now the cute girl as well?

The only person this EunBi seems to pay any attention to though much to Sowon unnie's dismay is Yuju unnie. I don't dare to look at the stranger and instead simply answer her curtly:

"I can't help you."

My heart is beating faster when she sits down beside me and closes the book. I immediately hiss out:

"Yah, how dare you close my book like this? Let me continue reading!"

She shakes her head and I glare at her. I blush madly when she looks deep into my eyes and says:

"Wow, you actually are very beautiful. How come you're constantly hiding that pretty face behind a book though? Are you a nerd?"

What in the world does she think calling me a nerd and why does my heart beat so fast at her compliment from before? She thinks I'm beautiful?

She pinches my cheek softly and exclaims:

"Aigoo, you're so cute when you're blushing like this! What's your name by the way? My name's Jung Yerin and I am the older sister of Jung EunBi."

Wait a sec... This EunBi is her dongsaeng? They don't look anything alike each other. Also, this Yerin still seems so young to me. I wouldn't have guessed that she is actually older than me...

I answer her shyly:

"My name is Hwang EunBi, but I prefer to be called SinB. It's nice to meet you, unnie. Ehm, I could help you search for your sister, if you want. I might know where she is."

Her face brightens up and an odd fluttery feeling spreads in my stomach at her smile.

 

We get up from our seats and I guide her over to the archive in which Yuju unnie works. On our way there we meet Umji and Sowon unnie who both look at us in a weird way.

Sowon unnie immediately asks:

"Where are you two going, SinB-ah?"

I answer her:

"We're on our way to the archive, since Yerin unnie is on search for her dongsaeng EunBi."

Both Umji and Sowon's eyes are widening and my best friend asks Yerin:

"You are EunBi's sister?"

She nods her head and answers her:

"Yes, I am and who are you, little girl?"

Ha, that's too hilarious! Yerin really thinks that Umji is a child. My best friend's cheeks are heating up madly and she exclaims in an embarrassed tone:

"Unnie, I am fourteen years old and not a child anymore. So please stop calling me a little girl. Your sister isn't taller than me."

Yerin unnie's cheeks are heating up madly at this and she bows down deeply while saying:

"I'm awefully sorry, Umji-ah, but you have this youthful appearance to you and so I thought that you are much younger than you actually are... Back to your question, yes I am EunBi's older sister. Why do you know her?"

Both Sowon and I start to giggle at this and Yerin asks:

"Did I say something wrong again?"

Sowon unnie answers her:

"No, you didn't. It's just that my dongsaeng is your sister's biggest fan, you know. All day long she keeps on going EunBi here, EunBi there... Like she is the centre of the world. Sometimes I really ask myself if my dongsaeng actually has a crush on her..."

Yerin starts to laugh out loud at this while Umji is blushing madly and whines like a four year old:

"Yah, unnie! Stop saying such embarrassing things! I don't have a crush on EunBi unnie she's simply very intelligent and beautiful so I envy her. That's all!"

We've arrived at the archive and Sowon unnie lays a finger on her lips indicating us to be quiet. It immediately turns silent at this as noone dares to say a word anymore.

In the most silent way possible Sowon unnie opens the door to the archive and we all peak inside the room. We're all fascinated at the sight before us.

An odd purple light is shining and we hear two voice recite a text in a strange language. Then we see EunBi unnie and Yuju unnie standing there at a table on which a heavy old book is lying opened.

Above the book a purple gem like item is seemingly floating around in the air. What in the world are we witnessing here? Witchcraft is the first thing that comes to my mind at this.

I never would've guessed that such things really do exist and even less that EunBi and Yuju unnie are capable of it. Suddenly Yerin calls out in shock:

"EunBi-ah, no!"

My eyes are widening in disbelief at the sight of EunBi who slowly starts to disappear...

 

 

EunHa P.O.V

From afar I hear my unnie call out my name:

"EunBi-ah, no!"

Suddenly I can see her before me and I feel her drag me back into the human world. I prepare for a hard landing on the floor which never follows though.

Instead I feel someone carrying me. Who is this? I ask silently:

"Unnie?"

Once I feel my body lying on the soft covers of what I assume must be a bed I finally close my tired eyes completely and drift off to sleep in exhaustion...

A silent groan escapes my lips once I wake up again and my eyes widen in shock once I see five pairs of eyes looking at me in concern one of them being my unnie.

I immediately recognize the others as Yuju, Sowon unnie and the two other girls that also always come to the library, but who's names I don't know.

The only thing I know is that the smaller one of them is Sowon unnie's dongsaeng. My unnie wants to come closer to me but Yuju holds her back and tells her:

"It's dangerous to come close to her for ordinary humans in her current state. There is way too much magical energy evolving her at the moment and she is still very weak. Umji-ah, please bring me the medication I've prepared for EunBi."

I ask Yuju:

"What medication are you talking about and why did I faint before, Yuju?"

She heaves a sigh and tells me in a concerned tone:

"Because your unnie wanted to save you and dragged your arm she actually destroyed the magical field and put your life in danger with her action... The medication will restore your magical energy and help fastening your healing process. If Umji-ah didn't save you from falling before much worse could've happened to you."

So this Umji saved me and not my unnie? I can't believe that a kid like her carried me all the way to the couch like this. She doesn't look very strong to me.

Also why would she help me anyway? She doesn't even know me, or does she? Exactly at the moment where I have this thought Umji comes over to the bed and I'm left stunned when she sits down next to me.

I ask her:

"How come you can sit next to me with nothing happening to you? By the way... Thanks for saving me before and carrying me over here. You just might saved my life with this."

Her cheeks are heating up which makes her look even more adorable and she answers me shyly:

"Well, I am a witch as well so your magical energy doesn't harm me. It was nothing really, unnie. I couldn't have risked to lose you."

My heart is oddly beating faster and I ask  her:

"Why couldn't you, Umji-ah? We don't even know each other so how come you're so affectionate towards me?"

 

She doesn't answer me and instead says:

"You need to take your medicine, unnie. Here, say 'Ah!'."

I comply though I'm a bit confused about her sudden change of topic. How come she couldn't answer me such a simple question and why does it feel like there's a huge swarm of butterflies flying around in my stomach? Must be the sickness...

I frown in disgust at the bitter taste of the medicine and ask:

"What is that? It tastes aweful!"

Yuju smirks and says:

"That's how good medicine is supposed to taste like. The more bitter it tastes the better it helps."

Ah yeah, never heard of that before. I'm confused when Sowon unnie suddenly exclaims:

"Yuju-ah, can you accompany me back to the library, please? Umji-ah will take care of EunBi-ah meanwhile, nae?"

At this she drags Yuju outside the room. From my peripheral I catch my unnie talking to the other girl who's name I still don't know and she is soon giggling since my unnie has obviously told another one of her jokes.

I'm slightly hurt that she seemingly cares way more for this stranger than for me, her dongsaeng. My heart is beating faster when Umji tells me softly:

"Please don't take it personally, unnie. Your sister cares for you a lot she even searched the whole library for you before when you were in here with Yuju unnie. However, since those two are normal humans they aren't allowed to get too close to you in your current state. If you ask me your unnie and SinB are the same like my unnie and Yuju unnie..."

My eyes are widening in shock and I ask her:

"You mean my unnie and this SinB have a crush on each other?"

She nods her head and answers me:

"Their behaviour around each other is very suspicious."

Since I want to give my unnie her privacy and also can't bear the lovey dovey of her and this SinB any longer I exclaim:

"It's okay if you two leave the room again. I'll be fine on my own..."

They look at me in shock and my unnie asks me softly:

"Are you sure EunBi-ah? I don't feel well leaving you alone here in the current state you are in."

My heart feels like it's fluttering when Umji tells her:

"Don't worry, unnie. I will take care of EunBi unnie meanwhile. After all I am also a witch and so I know just what to do, if something out of the ordinary should happen, or her state should suddenly worsen."

My unnie nods her head and at this she leaves the room alongside this SinB. The latter whispers something in Umji's ear before the go out and because of my special condition I am actually able to understand it:

"Go for it!"

What does she mean by that? A delighted squeal escapes my lips once I see that Umji's cheeks are flushed which makes her look extremely adorable.

I can't help but to pinch her cheeks softly and exclaim:

"You look so cute like this, Umji-ah! How come you are so shy though?"

 

She bites her lower lip slightly and whispers:

"You asked me before why I couldn't risk losing you and why I am so affectionate towards you, unnie. I have a confession to make to you. Ever since the first day you came to the library I was under your spell. It felt as if you entraced me with your whole aura...

Every time I saw you I was so happy even if you didn't even notice me and seemed to be way more interested in Yuju unnie and the books than me. I secretely kept watching you and admiring you from afar.

I know that you most likely think that I am weird now and that you don't feel this way towards me. It's okay, I will just try to make this fluttery feeling go away that I feel every time I see you, unnie..."

I don't know what is happening to me but it feels as if gravity is magically pulling my face closer to hers. Our lips are only inches away from each other when we suddenly hear familiar voices:

"Aww, look at those two aren't they cute? Looks like our plan has worked!"

Both Umji and my cheeks are heating up madly and we exclaim at the same time:

"Get out, unnies!"

They chuckle at this and close the door behind them again. Tsk, seriously they really give us no privacy at all! I blush madly once my gaze meets that of Umji and my heart is beating faster when she asks me softly:

"Where were we?"

I answer her shyly:

"You were bound to kiss me..."

She says teasingly:

"Is that so? I somehow can't remember anything. Can you help me remember, unnie?"

I blush even more at this and whine out:

"Yah, why are you teasing me like this, Kim Umji? This is not funny at all! You know how shy I am..."

I'm taken completely off-guard when I suddenly feel the softest feeling on my lips. The kiss lasts only a few seconds but those are enough to nearly give me a heartattack and she whispers in my ear afterwards:

"I love you, Jung EunBi."

Oh my God! I think now I'll really get a heartattack. My cheeks are once again heating up madly and I burry my head in her chest in shame.

She caresses my hair softly and after a while I whisper:

"I love you as well, Kim Umji even though you are an epic tease who constantly makes me flustered and blush madly."

She answers me softly:

"I only tease you like this because I love to see that adorable blush of yours, unnie. It makes you look even more like a princess..."

Omona! She did it again! I think I will die young with this girl on my side. Kim Umji you teaser...

 

 

 

Yerin P.O.V

SinB cuddles into my embrace and tells me in a dreamy voice:

"Aren't they cute together?"

I ruffle her hair which makes her grumble lowly. I giggle and answer her:

"Yes, they really are very cute, my cute little mouse."

Her cheeks are heating up madly and she complains while punching my chest slighty:

"Yah, how can you call me a mouse, eh? I'm not that little..."

I chuckle and tell her:

"But you are just as cute and feisty as a little mouse, SinB-ah, ehehehe."

From the back we can suddenly hear laughter and two all too familiar voices exclaim in unision:

"You're just like Tom & Jerry!"

Both SinB and my cheeks are heating up at this which makes Sowon unnie and Yuju squeal in delight. Wait a sec... Are they actually holding hands?

I never knew that a day at the library could in fact be this adventerous and fun...

 

 

~The end~