Because

A Tale of Six Trillion Years and a Night

 Woohyun drags himself into his apartment. His boss is never particularly kind to him, but today it seems like he’s been turned into Hulk and his anger has multiplied by a billion. He dumped a lot of work onto Woohyun and expected him to finish all of them that day. Woohyun doesn’t know how but he managed to pass everything with just a few weak pleads to his boss to extend his time by a few hours. He feels like he’s fought in 10 wars and has pulled the trigger for about million times by how much his fingers hurt.

Woohyun falls like a human rag doll onto the couch, too tired and worn out to move. He closes his eyes and tries to rest for a bit, but a haunting memory flashes behind his eyelids. He looks at the silver ring on his finger and lifts it up to glare at it, but his gaze immediately softens into a sad one. He slides it off his finger and throws it in an unknown direction, not caring where it lands and just wanting to forget. He remembers what that ring went through and what promise that ring holds. Remembering never was good for Woohyun since that day, it brings him to the brink of despair and insanity and he loathes it.

W-Woohyun.

Sh, Sunggyu, it’s okay. Look at me, alright, look at me. Everything’s fine.

I-I don’t feel good.

It’s okay baby, just let the doctors do their work okay?

B-but, you said we would g-get married a-and—

We are. Don’t worry.

 

Woohyun grabs his bag that he brought earlier and throws it across the room. He screams at the top of his lungs and kicks the couch. He pants heavily and walks up the flight of stairs into his now lonely bedroom. Face-planting into the pillows, he closes his eyes and tries to get rid of the frustration and rest.

He dreams of him, Sunggyu, and his whole group singing in front of a large audience. It seems like they are holding a concert and they all have smiles on their faces as the crowd cheers and goes wild. The song they were currently dancing to ends, but Sunggyu stays on the stage. Woohyun decides to get a chair and sit down near the entrance to the stage to watch Sunggyu sing.

Sunggyu sings a song he himself composed, titled “Because”. It has a beautiful melody but the lyrics are sorrowful.

Please don’t stay in my heart once you’re gone.

Sunggyu puts his all into singing, and by the end of the performance he’s bowing to the audience and commenting that he and the group have had a wonderful time performing. He does one last quick bow before exiting.

He doesn’t get far before he faints.

Woohyun wants to rush to Sunggyu’s side, to bring him to a doctor and comfort him but he finds himself handcuffed to the chair he is sitting on. He stretches his body towards Sunggyu, his hands stayed by the back of the chair as he struggled.

A weird, dark figure appears above Sunggyu. It is completely black even though the light’s directed at it. It seems to be smiling by the way white appears at the bottom of what probably is its face, but the smile is nothing loving and tender. It’s the smile of a psychopath, someone who’s planning something diabolical. It carries the unconscious Sunggyu bridal style and Woohyun shouts.

The lights flash, brighter than they already were and the face of the figure is revealed. It’s…

Woohyun himself.

Woohyun then sits up in his bed, sweat and tears rolling down his face and dampening his suit that he didn’t bother to take off. He rests his back on the headboard of the bed and curls his legs in front of himself, sobbing silently into his knees.

--

Woohyun sleepily walks to the bathroom to wash his face and get ready for another agonizing day. He’s considered ending his own life once, twice, but Sunggyu’s last words stopped him.

Whatever happens, wait for me.

The life he’s living was once heaven, but is now hell. He doesn’t have anything to live for anymore, but the memory of Sunggyu smiling, laughing happily keeps him even a little bit sane in his colorless world. His friends are a great help though, and he thinks without them he’ll already be a pile of dust in a wooden coffin 6 feet underground. But he still feels the sorrow of losing that one person that made his world bright.

He stares at his reflection in the mirror, the dark circles under his eyes giving him a sleep-deprived look. He noticed that he’s gotten a little thinner compared to the last time he’s properly checked himself in the mirror, and that was about a month ago when he and Sunggyu were going out to meet their friends and talk about composing a new song. He ducks down to splash the cold water onto his face to wake himself up. He does it a few times until he faces the mirror again.

 

But, there’s a different face.

 

Woohyun looks at the glass in surprise and confusion. Instead of his own lifeless eyes, he is met with those two orbs that he fell in love with a few years ago. The pupils sparkle and he is left to think about what the hell is going on. He thinks he’s dreaming, or hallucinating when the figure smiles that same damn smile that made the eyes he was staring at turn into beautiful crescents and tiny wrinkles to appear under them. Those two cute little lines that connects with his upper lip and his white teeth makes Woohyun blind, but he feels like he’s finally seeing light after years of being trapped in a dark place.

 

Sunggyu.

 

Sunggyu reaches out and places his hand on Woohyun’s own that’s caressing the mirror unconsciously. Sunggyu smiles again, full of love and happiness as Woohyun jumps a bit at the feeling of a real hand on his, especially that it is Sunggyu’s. He feels warmth radiating from it, and it manages to mix up his emotions even more. He doesn’t want to believe that what’s happening is real, because he knows, oh he knows (this occurrence had happened way too many times and after finally regaining the happiness he yearns for he is suddenly jerked out of slumber), that he’ll wake up and everything will just be another one of his dreams. But everything seems so perfect and he wants to give in, to finally be happy with Sunggyu. He is torn into two and he doesn’t know which side to accept.

Suddenly, both Sunggyu’s arms are stretched out beyond the surface of the mirror and his hands clutch at Woohyun’s shoulders. Sunggyu bites his lip, before his whole face is the same with his arms. His head is already pass the mirror and is resting under Woohyun’s as the rest of his body cuts through. The next thing Woohyun knows is that Sunggyu’s crying into his shirt and his arms are hugging him tightly. Woohyun shakes in Sunggyu’s hold. It all feels too real, but he knows he’s going to wake up any moment now.

 

Except, it’s not a dream.

 

Woohyun winds his arms around Sunggyu’s small waist and hugs him to his chest. He cries too as he can feel the warmth of his lover after such a long time. Both hold each other like a fragile porcelain cup. Sunggyu looks up from Woohyun’s chest and wipes his tears and then proceeding to wipe Woohyun’s. He cups Woohyun’s jaw and swipes his cheeks with his thumbs before smiling lovingly. Woohyun smiles too as his tears continued flowing, but Sunggyu keeps on wiping them.

“Thank you…for waiting for me.”

Woohyun feels like he’s in heaven again when he hears Sunggyu’s melodious voice.

“B-but…how--?”

“Shh…”

Sunggyu tiptoes to kiss Woohyun on the lips and Woohyun almost passes out from happiness. He places one of his hands on Sunggyu’s nape to deepen the kiss and Sunggyu pulls Woohyun closer by his neck.

Woohyun doesn’t know how Sunggyu came back, but he’ll ask the older later. 


Hope you guys enjoyed!

not proof-read