1/2

Saving Grace

“Are you sure you want to do this?”

Zitao stared deep into the eyes of the man sitting in the large black leather chair on the opposite side of the mahogany desk, a long bronze box sitting on it’s waxed surface. Inside where two items,  a long sleek katana with a silver tipped blade and a rolled up slip of paper.

“Is that even a question now? You know i have to do this, I have to get her back.” Zitao replied in his almost perfected english, his upper half leaning over to pluck the paper out of the box, his thumb rubbing over the crease once before he tucked it into the inner pocket of his black blazer.

“If you must then I will give you my blessing once again, but i must warn you.. They know by now that you are not going to give up. So please Mr.Huang… Do be careful.” The man said in a concerned voice, he sighed and pushed the box closer to Zitao. “And please, take this.. It was your father’s blade when he worked for us.”

Zitao stood, he swiftly closed the lid to the box then latched it shut and lifted it over his shoulder with the strap. “I don't have to tell you, you already know what's going to happen this time.” He said as he turned and began to exit the large office, his hand raising to salute as he opened the door.

“Farewell old friend.”

Zitao’s head dipped and turned to the right slightly, a look of remorse flashing over his features for a moment before his gaze hardened and he exited the office, the door closing behind him with a soft click.

The only sound heard in the long hallways of the firm were the sound on Zitao’s dress shoes clicking against the smooth tile flooring, his fingers curled tighter around strap on his shoulder as he adjusted it. He knew… He knew this time he wasn't going to be lucky.

He wasn't going to make it out of this alive. But he was ready, he was ready to die even if it meant dying at the hands of the woman he gave up everything for. He was ready to sacrifice himself to save her from herself, he knew that it had to be done and he was more than ready to do it.