If it Weren't for You

Don't Break My Heart

 

"Okay, Momo. What's your plan?"

"I'm going to take her out on Sunday to the park and confess my feelings."

"You're not just doing this out of pressure, are you?"

I shook my head. "No, I'm tired of holding this in me for so long. It's killing me. I have to tell her."

Jongin smiled at me and put a hand on my shoulder. "Okay, good luck then. And remember, whatever happens, Sana still loves you and this isn't going to ruin your friendship in any way, so I don't want to hear any of that anymore, okay?"

I took a deep breath and nodded. "Thanks, Jongin."

"Okay. Now, I have to get to class. And don't worry about meeting up with me after practice, okay? Go ahead and hang out with your girl, alright?"

"Well, I'd love to do that but the performance is soon..."

"It's all going well. And I'll work out any problems that could happen, I have more experience with this. Don't let that pressure you. Just focus on your own tasks, alright? I'm sure we'll be done with choreo today and we'll focus on improving it and get started on costume as well."

"Alright, I'll start sending you costume ideas tonight. See you later!" We parted ways to our classes.

 


 

During dance practice, we all took a much-needed water break. I decided to go to the bathroom and overheard a conversation by some girls in a different org while I was in the stall.

"You know that Japanese student, Momo?"

"The one who's dating Jongin?" I rolled my eyes at that statement but didn't bother to speak up.

"Yeah, I just heard today that she's leading the dance group with Jongin. I can't believe she really did all of this just to get close to him. I heard she can't even dance."

"Doesn't that mean she'll be the center? How could the teacher allow that?"

My jaw dropped. Really? Where are they getting all these assumptions? I joined the dance club because I like to dance... Sure, I wasn't the best and getting that position because of Jongin's kindness was just luck, but to think that I would do all of that to get close to him... If I had known what the cost of crushing on him was, I would have been more careful! Not that I would want to wish away our friendship.

"She has to learn, Jongin belongs to everyone, not just her."

The is this, a manga?

When they left, I walked out finally to wash my hands and run out of there. Once I got back to the dance studio, I didn't bother to talk with Jongin the rest of the day.

 


 

"Momo?" Sana waved her hand in my face. "Are you okay?"

I blinked and looked around. Sana and I were in the lounge, playing chess.

"Yeah, sorry, I just zoned out. Is it my move?"

She nodded. "You look preoccupied. Do you wanna talk about it?"

"I'm fine, really."

She sighed and sat back. "Is it about the rumors?"

I bit my lip and nodded.

"Sorry, Momo, I really thought they would go away quickly..."

"They really think we're in a relationship, Sana, but we're not. What am I supposed to do, post flyers around the halls? I didn't care at first, but it's starting to hurt. Why are they being so cruel?" I covered my mouth, trying to keep from crying.

"Momo..." Sana came around the table and hugged me. "Don't let them hurt you. They're only saying those things because they're jealous of you."

"Why are they jealous though? Because of something I don't have?"

"Momo," Sana held my face with one hand to make eye contact with me. "You're beautiful, a very talented dancer, and a great friend with a good heart. People will always try to target you because of the kind of person you are, but you can't let them win. Don't ever let them win. Promise?"

This had to have been the worst time, but at that moment I had a strong urge to kiss Sana. She was so close...

"Okay. I promise. Thank you, Sana."

Sana smiled and wiped my tears from my face. "Okay, good. You're the strongest person I know, Momo, and it really hurts to see you cry. I don't want you to be sad, okay?"

I nodded and hugged her. "I couldn't be this strong if it weren't for you."