The Ring

Sleepless Night

    The thick blankets weren’t enough to keep the chill from permeating the bed, but Kyungri kicked them off exasperatedly. She’d much rather deal with being cold than struggle with the itchy texture rubbing against her, making her currently prickly attitude even more irritated. She carelessly tossed her phone to the side and rolled over, staring up at the ceiling and taking deep breaths to try and regulate her flaring anger. It seemed to help a little, as her anger slowed to a simmer. Her phone beeped, interrupting her brief meditation period and alerting her that new text message had arrived. Kyungri’s eyes flickered over to the bright screen, reading the received message.

 

 

> hey qt…. it’s Valentine’s day. you wanna come over for some fun? ;) 

 

 

    Kyungri bit back a curse, cat-like eyes narrowed into slits as she lividly glared daggers - wishing that technology could convey emotions to the sender because she would totally rip him a new one right now - at the name.

 

And yet another who wants nothing more than to sleep with me.

 

    She groaned, dismayed at the outcome; the predictable outcome, but one that she had hoped would end differently from the others. This guy had seemed like a good match: attractive, tall, well-mannered if a try hard, but apparently it had all been a front. After breaking up with her boyfriend, Kyungri had had a large crowd of suitors vying for her love, and to no surprise, given her exquisite beauty and personality. But it seemed like every guy was only hoping to hook up with her, and if there was something Kyungri wasn’t, it was easy. 

 

    Sprawled in her bed, Kyungri though back to that fateful day at the cafe. She had caught the look of surprised shock frozen on his face, his hand outstretched toward her, as she had left. She had realized too late that despite all his flaws, he had been a better boyfriend than all the guys fighting over her now. It was highly doubtful that there would be another man who would treat her as well and kindly. Kyungri reached over and opened a drawer on her night table, grasping something in her hand. She brought it up to her face and stared at the object between her fingers: the ring her boyfriend had given her. Even after the breakup, Kyungri had been unable to dispose of it, though she never wore it in public. She slipped it onto her finger, watching it slip perfectly into place past her second joint, and held it up to the light. It gleamed gently, warm against her skin despite being stored the drawer.

 

Stop it, Kyungri. You broke up with him.

 

    Shaking her head to clear her mind of thoughts of the past, Kyungri grabbed her phone, sending a quick text to her best friend Woohee.

 

 

Hey, I’m in a lousy mood. Let’s do something <

 

> Want to go to the club? Drinks on me :)

 

I knew you’re my best friend for a reason <

 

 

    Kyungri glanced at the clock; it was only 9:47pm, giving her enough time to get ready for a fun-filled night of clubbing. She rolled out of bed and paused, playing with the ring still on her finger. She twisted it off her finger, tossed it onto the bed covers, and walked into the bathroom, grabbing a towel on the way. The sound of running water took over the room, and the ring gleamed coldly.