.04

.dump.

first things first i'm the realest  i'm sorry i haven't updated this in so long! i have another fic that i'm working on so i was busy with that.

this is really short tho and only one au because i just binge-watched Shadowhunters and got inspired (also sorry that this is angst).

ok so some things that you should know before reading (if you haven't seen the show or read the book or seen the movie):

shadowhunters - humans born with angelic blood (half human, half angels basically). they fight demons and stuff. 

mundanes - regular humans (kind of like muggles)

glamour - magic that shadowhunters use so mundanes can't see them

runes - symbols burned into a shadowhunter's skin to give them supernatural abilities 

if you've seen Shadowhunters or Mortal Instruments or read the books, i'm so sorry for this really half baked attempt of writing this au 


 

“So what’s the deal with you and Henry?”

 

Amber looks up from her computer, where she’s currently keeping track of some Shadowhunters in training who went with Taecyeon for field training. Yeri is also a trainee but not yet ready for field training since she almost literally found them just a week before. She saw through Henry’s glamour during a mission and they took her in, found out that she’s raised by a mundane and a banished Shadowhunter - the whole shebang.  

 

Yeri blinks at her, waiting for an answer. Amber looks across the room where Henry’s discussing something with Kris. “He’s my parabatai.”

 

“Your para what?” Yeri knits her eyebrows in confusion.

 

Amber sighs. She really doesn’t have time for this. “Parabatai. We’re lifelong partners, bound to each other forever.” She rolls up her sleeve, showing the younger her parabatai rune on her forearm.

 

“You guys are married?” Yeri almost gasps, leaning over to take a closer look at the rune.

 

“No. It’s not a romantic thing. It’s a warrior bond. It means I will lay my life for him and he’ll do the same for me.” She rolls down her sleeve and hopes the younger had satisfied her curiosity and leave her alone.

“That sounds awfully romantic.”

“It’s not.” Amber sighs. “Our bond is something beyond human emotion.”

 

“But you’re in love with him, right?”

 

Amber glares and tries to keep her temper in check. “No, I am not.”

 

“Amber, I’m 17, not stupid or blind.”

 

She chooses to ignore her. “Don’t you have some studying to do?”

 

Yeri only shrugs but didn’t move from her position, still leaning against Amber’s desk.

 

“Henry doesn’t like me like that.”

 

“How do you know?” Before Amber could answer her, a woman came running up to Henry - tall, with a slim figure, long black hair cascading down her back - hugging him from behind and kissing him on the cheek. Henry smiles and kisses her forehead.

 

“Because of that.” Amber her head slightly in their direction.

 

Yeri turns her head. “Who’s she?”

 

“His girlfriend.” She tried, really tried, to keep the bitterness out of her voice but she knows Yeri noticed it. Like she said, she’s 17, not stupid.

 

“So? Amber, she’s just a girlfriend, they’re not married.”

 

“Yeri, can you please just let this go?” Amber scrubs her face in frustration. “A pair of parabatai can’t fall in love. It’s forbidden.”

 

“What?” Yeri exclaims incredulously. “That’s bull!”

 

“It’s the law.”

 

“But that’s unfair!”

 

“Nothing in this life is, kid.” Amber says, letting her heart break a little bit as she watches Henry walk hand in hand with a girl that is not her.