Who Are You?

Another Week Another Book

You had no way of knowing he was an idol. You just weren’t into that whole K-pop thing like the other girls in your class, especially since you were a foreign exchange student from Miami, Florida. You had moved to Korea for a year with the intent of advancing your Korean language studies and getting an internship in the field of your major, not with the intent of falling in love with the man who regularly visited your favorite book store. 

It was the second week you’d seen him and this time he was back for another book after having seemingly finished the first he bought the week before. Surprisingly, he had dyed his hair from blonde to a mint green and you couldn’t help the smile that spread across your face as you thought. “He looks good with any hair color…”  You set the book you were looking at back on the shelf and moved down the aisle, looking at the rows of books with a light hum. 

A couple times you felt a pair of eyes stare your way but you never paid much attention as you crouched down, picking up a book from the bottom shelf, reading the back out loud in broken Korean. Buying books in Hangul had been your way of learning the language and practicing but it was a lot harder than you wanted it to be even if you were at the intermediate level in Korean. 

Seconds later you saw a book cross your vision as it was being held out to you and you looked up with a soft smile about to ask why that book in particular, but seeing who it was made you stop. It was him. The guy you’d been staring at since he’d walked in, granted it was only 10 short minutes. “It’s easier.” He says simply as if reading your mind and you take it in your hands, standing up, realizing you were much shorter than him, though he was shorter than average. 

“Thank you.” That was all you could say, mostly because you were still in shock. He nodded his head and then proceeded to walk away making you blink, muttering softly in English. “Is it obvious I’m not from here…” Even though you knew it was. You weren’t Asian. You weren’t even White. You were mixed, with your skin being a light caramel color that had gotten you compliments more than once, and the occasional “Is your hair real?” or “Are your eyes really that color?” comments since you’d been here in Seoul. 

You watched him walk to the register to pay and noticed him look at you one more time. You lowered your gaze but not before you could notice the small chuckle that brought a smile to his face though only for a moment. He looked back at the woman at the register and you saw him nod before placing a finger to his lips before he walked out when he was finished. 

“What was that all about… Does she know him…?”  You thought to yourself before looking down, turning the book he gave you over in your hands. He was right. It was easier. You made a mental note to really thank him if you ever saw him again but then you realized he always comes the same day at almost the same time. “Next week then… I’ll come next week.” You thought, walking to the register to pay for your own book. 

When you finally ended up in the dorm you shared with your roommate, Sunyoung, you set the bag down on your desk and then hopped on her bed, where she was sitting. “Sun young— I have the craziest story to tell you.” You said it in rushed Korean but you could tell she was listening. “I was at the..” You trailed off and then clapped. “Bookstore!” You had forgotten the word. “This guy comes in… He’s really handsome, mint green hair—“

 At that she raises an eyebrow and closes her laptop which you thought was slightly strange since she only did that when someone was talking about K-pop. “Anyway! I think I was caught staring… But I was looking for another book to read in Hangul and he just gave me a book and walked away after I said thank you!” You exclaimed while waving your hands. 

“But that’s not all. The cashier woman knew him I think… When he walked up she looked surprised and before he walked out he put a finger to his lips like it was a secret.” You said as you made a face. “I don’t get it… Maybe he’s famous… But he was quiet… Maybe not.” You stopped and looked at Sunyoung who was wide eyed and you looked around before saying, “What? I’m serious!” 

She shook her head and then spoke slowly as if she was trying to find the words to say. “Mint green hair, you said? Quiet too? I can’t believe it. I think you might have seen…” She trailed off and then furrowed her eyebrows before slipping her thumb in , chewing on her nail. “I might have seen…” You pressed. You wanted to know who she thought it had been. 

“Suga oppa…?” 

Okay that stopped you in your tracks. Suga? What kind of name was Suga? It almost made you want to laugh but you held it in. For her sake. “Suga? Is that a name of a person?” You asked genuinely clueless as you moved to grab the book he had picked up for you. “Is he one of your Korean pop boys, Sunyoung? I doubt it was him… When do they ever have time to visit bookstores?” 

At that she flopped back and hummed. “Good point. I don’t think they do.” 


So I'm back with another chapter story-- Umm... I just got this idea when I was reading this book and listening to BTS at the same time. If it's lame I apologize. I love you guys! I'll be back with an update soon hopefully. Second semester of freshman year in university just started so... Yeah. Anyway! I hope you guys like it~ Comment and suscribe that would bring me a lot of joy and motivation to continue this story! Is it too late to say happy new year?? Good luck to people in the US buying EXO tickets later!! Maybe I'll see some of you at the NJ one~ 

- Skye