Day 1 - Crazy Night

The Race Against Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

3 P.M. at HK Criminal Intelligence Bureau (CIB)

Senior Inspector Lee Minwoo and his teammates of CIB are in the Meeting Room discussing their weekly report on triad societies.

"There was a fire outbreak in a night club which we believe to have been set by Junjin and The Park clan. They have recently been starring up all kinds of trouble along Street #5, which is usually operated by their rival gang, The Kims." Junior Inspector Seo Young Hui explained.

Minwoo noded his head and replied, "Junjin was sentenced five years ago and came out of prison only for 6 months, yet he's already starting up more trouble for himself. Looks like somebody can't wait for more prison food."

The CIB team all laughed at their Inspector's silly joke. Minwoo had a quick wit and easy-going personality. That's why everybody in CIB and the entire police department loved to work the guy.

"Junjin is definitely up to no good, so we will continue to keep a close eye on him. Though right now, I think we should focus on another issue. " Junior Inspector Lee Jonghyun spoke.

Minwoo turned his head towards the man and gestured him to continue speaking.

"News broke out that the old leader of The Kim triad passed away last night. Their group is in choas right now due to the fight for the leader's spot." Jonghyun explained.

"Do we have any clue on the possible candidates?" Minwoo asked.

Jonghyun took out 2 pictures and clipped them onto the white board. He held up a pointer stick and said, "The deceased leader has 3 sons. His eldest son Kim Dongwook and second son Kim Dongsuk are all currently taking positions in the triad. These are the pictures of the two guys."

"What about his youngest son? Do we not have any information on him?" Minwoo asked.

With a sigh, Jonghyun replied, "Unfortunately, we do not have any info on his youngest son at the moment. Rumors say he was born to a mistress, so the family regards him as a disgrace. He has never been seen at any public events, hence no pictures. Some says he's studying abroad yet nobody knows where and not even a clue of his name."

Minwoo noded his head while getting up. "That's ok Jonghyun. I'm sure we can get more info on this guy in the future. Now I know you all worked really hard this week."

The Chief Inspector clapped his hands and presented his trademark eye smile. "How about we go out for high tea? It will be my treat!"

"Wohoo!" The CIB team cheered for their leader. Minwoo has always been considerate of his subordinates, and that's why everybody treated him more like a big brother instead of their boss.

Jonghyun smiled at his supervisor and commented, "Thank you for the treat Sir. But I would like to make one more request."

"Oh?"

"Could you please make a visit to the Narcotics Bureau? Bogeun texted me saying their team haven't slept for almost 72 hours. Inspector Mun is at it again." Jonghyun felt extremely bad that his friend Boguen had to work for such a workaholic leader.

Hearing this, Minwoo sighed. Junghyuk's condition have been getting worse recently. The guy barely sleeps and just buries himself into work. Minwoo knew this was his best friend's way of escaping from guilt and ........

from thinking about the person he has lost.

 

 

Junghyuk's office was open and when Minwoo knocked on the door, he could tell his best friend hasn't been home for several days judging from all the take out boxes and ramen bowls scattered on the ground along with several pile of documents.

"Look as I said earlier, as soon as we crack the code from the Thailand drug lord, you guys can go home. Now stop complaining and go back to your work." Junghyuk didn't even lift his head up from reading his documents but the cold tone of the serious man's voice still managed to bring goose bumps to Minwoo.

"Junghyuk, it's me Minwoo."

The leader of NB looked up and Minwoo sighed upon seeing his best friend's condition. Junghyuk's messy hair, loose tie, and growing beard ... all of it indicated that the pitiful man has not been getting proper rest for days.

"Hey Minwoo! Sorry, what I said just now was not meant for you. I thought you were Bogeun, coming here to complain that the team wants to go home." Junghyuk managed to smile at his best friend but the shorter man kept shaking his head in reply.

"Junghyuk, Boguen is right. Your team needs to go ho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter