Whalien

Complementary Colors

12:18 pm, October 13th, 1995. Min Yoongi was two years old. He isn’t sure he would have remembered it if it wasn’t captured on film. He had just did something impressive to his mom, so she had been recording for some time that day. He remembers being very upset for some unknown reason. All of a sudden, he stopped crying and felt pain in his chest. He remembers being confused and wanting to be happy yet cry at the same time. On the video you can tell he was upset, yet he didn’t cry anymore. The boy didn’t understand what he was feeling until he fell in love and had his heart broken. It was the feeling of longing. Of needing.

2:23 pm, January 29th, 1997. Yoongi sat alone on a swing in the playground. He longed for friends, for someone to care about him. Sure, his family loved and cared about him, he just wanted something different. Something more. He was knocked into the ground abruptly, a ball making contact with the back of his head. That day was the first of many times that he would punch someone.

4:38 pm, June 17th, 2000. Yoongi’s soon to be best friend moved in next door. His name was Evan and he just moved from somewhere in the United States. He was a year older than Yoongi. The two boys met when Evan’s family went to the Min’s house to introduce themselves in broken Korean. The boy was Yoongi’s first friend and they were inseparable.

9:52 pm, May 13th, 2004. The time Yoongi came out to Evan, the American was staying over at his house. It was rare for one of them to sleep alone now; always sharing each other’s beds. Yoongi didn’t know how long he had been gay, but he knew there was no way he could hide it from his best friend. Evan took it in stride and simply cuddled closer to the boy, told him it was okay, and petted his head in comfort.

12:01 am, August 23rd, 2007. Yoongi had been in love with Evan for at least three years. They were now standing in Evan’s bathroom and the Korean felt like his heart was ripped out. Evan’s hair had immediately changed to a baby blue when he turned 15. This meant Yoongi was in no way his soulmate. He was still only 14.

12:00 am, March 9th, 2008. His 15th birthday was supposed to be a wonderful day. It was a day for celebration. Instead, it was the worst day of his life. Not only was his soulmate currently non-existent, but Evan found his own. He met a beautiful foreigner named Mariah who turned out to be his soulmate. She was 17 and on an exchange program with school. Yoongi didn’t see much of Evan after that day.

6:50 pm, March 9th, 2008. Yoongi took his first drink of alcohol.

12:19 pm, March 10th, 2008. Yoongi woke up with a hangover for the first time. He got blackout drunk the night before and couldn’t remember anything. The next three years would pass in a drunken haze.

7:45 pm, December 29th, 2011. Yoongi graduated high school. For a very, very brief second, he thought he saw his soulmate’s hair color, but the boy disappeared before he was able to think of a changing color. This day was the start of his sobriety, deciding to take the soulmate search more seriously. The only thing spurring him on was his own mint green hair and it’s constant changing and then changing back.

8:07 am, February 17th, 2012. Yoongi moved to Seoul to go to Seoul University of the Arts. Every day he would sit in a courtyard and watch for the gorgeous shade of chestnut brown.

10:18 pm, October 21st, 2014. Yoongi stood on a railing of a high bridge. He could see the black water of the Han River rushing below him. He was tired of being alone. He wanted someone to love him. His aunt would understand. She was a blank who took care of him while his parents were working. She committed suicide a week before she would have turned 29. He wanted to see her smiling face and hear here comforting words.

10:26 pm, October 21st, 2014. As Yoongi raised his foot to step off the edge, he could feel his hair changing. It made him just as physically cold as he was inside. He grabbed a handful and pulled it into his eyesight. It was a nice muted pink. He couldn’t hold his smile as it changed back to his mint green. It was like his soulmate knew. With that thought, he climbed off the railing and headed home.

1:37 pm, February 8th, 2015. Move in day for the freshman. Yoongi attempted to avoid the mayhem with no such luck. That’s when he saw the boy. He had the hair color, but the boy looked like an angel. He was boyish and young looking and Yoongi felt he was too perfect to even so much as think he was his. Not believing the boy was real, Yoongi turned around and walked away quickly.

2:58 pm, June 6th, 2015. Yoongi has yet to see the boy again. He has, however, seen the boy who was with the man on move in day. He had bright pink hair, so he was a bit hard to miss. Every time Yoongi saw him, he had to fight the urge to follow him. He hoped one day the angel would be beside the boy and he could finally see him again.

5:23 pm, October 6th, 2015. Yoongi was walking through the courtyard he had sat in when he first started college. Well, he was walking until he was stopped in his tracks. There, sitting by the window of a small café, was the angel. He was alone and reading a book while sipping his drink. Yoongi couldn’t help it. He had to know. ‘Blood red’, he thought and watched as it changed. It actually changed. The angel looked out the window, but seemed to not see Yoongi. At that moment, the boy with pink hair walked up to the table and sat down, talking to the boy. Not knowing what to do, Yoongi found a bench and sat, watching the angel with red hair.

5:34 pm, October 6th, 2015. The boy with pink hair ran out of the café, running up to a man with purple, then green, then orange hair. Not caring about the interaction, Yoongi kept his attention on his angel and saw the look of sadness on his face as he watched his friend. ‘Electric blue to cheer him up,’ he thought. And he chuckled to himself at the look the boy gave himself a disgusted look.

5:37 pm, October 6th, 2015. Yoongi knew he had finally found his soulmate as he watched the angel’s hair go back to chestnut brown on his command. Too shocked to do anything about his realization, Yoongi stood up and walked back to his dorm.

2:49 pm, October 13th, 2015. Yoongi felt his hair change color and he was reminded that the angel still didn’t know he existed. He got ready as fast as he could and ran out of his dorm, running straight for the courtyard.

3:17 pm, October 13th, 2015. Yoongi reached the courtyard but didn’t see the boy in the café window like he had hoped. In fact, he didn’t see him at all. He was walking through the courtyard, heading towards the café thinking that maybe if he sat there long enough, the boy would come in.

3:21 pm, October 13th, 2015. Cold. Cold water was dumped on him. But not once, oh no, that would be fine. In fact, he was used to once, maybe twice. But seven was three too many. 14 was 11 too many. 20 was way to ing much and he snapped. “Stop god dammit!” He knew the boy was around, otherwise there wouldn’t have been so many colors. He was shaking right down to his tendons at this point. With anger? No. He was ing cold. How dare his soulmate freeze his off before they even meet? He whipped around and made direct eye contact with boy with an angel’s face. “Three colors!” he yelled, as he stalked toward his one and only. “It took me three colors to know it was you! Why did it take you 20?” he yelled, wishing that he was exaggerating. But his shivering was no joke and he knew he looked pathetic. Well, until the angel wrapped him with the softest, warmest arms he had ever felt. Yoongi was a thousand percent sure this boy was not human. “I’m sorry,” he heard mumbled into his shoulder. “Shut up,” the, now, black haired boy said as he reciprocated the embrace.

3:47 pm, October 13th, 2015. The first time he heard the melody that is his soulmate’s laugh. From that very moment, he knew he was gone. He was so far head over heels there was no way he would ever let go of his soulmate.

3:52 pm, October 13th, 2015. Jimin. That is his soulmate, best friend, lover, one and only, gift from heaven, angel.